How to grow your own foods.

Discussion not limited to prophecy.

Re: How to grow your own foods.

Postby Loop on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Last year I Bought what was supposed to be heirloom tomato plants from a store, "they weren't heirloom", pretty aggrivating cause I paid a little more for them....
This year I went to a different store, and bought heirloom tomato plants again.............. again they lied, they are not...
The tomato plants are over six feet tall... lots of tomato's though..
Lots and lots of cucumber' , My green beans are just now blooming, but they are growing like crazey, and looks to be very full..
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop

Postby GodsStudent on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:11 pm

I've got tomato that are heirloom and over 6 ft., so I'm pretty sure height might not be the marker for an heirloom product (or not). The biggest marker comes the next year when you grow from seed and they don't flower, or flower very little.

On tomato, once they've achieved a good height, we pinch the very top of the plant to tell the plant to stop growing upward, and start growing outward (or bushing). More important, especially if you aren't able to give lots and lots of water, is to remove the sucker branches on tomato. The suckers are the branches that are green with no flowers. Those will never produce, but it takes energy from the plant to maintain them.

I've got another good trick......willow. Use willow to root.

I have not used much rooting hormone, but heard of a friend whose father used it when he plucked the tops of his tomato. Upon research, we learned that rooting hormone is a carcinogen and should never be used on edibles. If you want to root the tomato tops, here's a good idea:
Clip a few branches from a willow. Cut the stem into smaller pieces and clip the leaves into smaller pieces. Put these in water and make a brew for 24 hours. After 24 hours, remove the willow bark and leaves from the water and put whatever you want to root into the willow. There is a good bit of detail on the internet if you want to know why willow roots so well. As a matter of fact, from what I understand, you don't even have to root willow (in water). You can literally clip a willow and put it into good dirt, and it will root itself.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby daffodyllady on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:11 am

Tomato varieties are of two categories: determinate, and indeterminate.

The indeterminate grow "indeterminately"; they have no natural termination of the length of the plant. This is how all heirloom varieties grow.

The determinate kinds have a genetically programmed termination point for the size of the plant. The vines stop growing before they reach their usual length. This is a more recent development. Some, but not all, hybrids have the determinate gene.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby Loop on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:12 am

The biggest marker comes the next year when you grow from seed and they don't flower, or flower very little.

Well last years heirloom didn't even get any tomato's, never got a one. Had to go an buy them , But this years does at least have some, but they don't seem to be ripening very good, usually I have bunch's by now..

Thanks Daf and Godstudent, I didn't know that LOL! These bugger's are deffinately growing, I wish I would have known before they got so big to pinch them back LOL, I've got tomato bush's everywhere... :bag:
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:23 am

Hey Loop, another good tomato tip: Assuming you don't sow seed directly to the ground, but put plants from the store or from your greenhouse (or however you raise baby plants).....when you put these plants in the ground in early spring, remove the bottom rows of leaves from your baby tomato plant, then dig your hole down so that you can put the roots and bare stalk down deeper into the dirt. This helps your plant grow more roots, and the results will be bigger, stronger tomato plants. Watch out, though, because you will get some BIG, strong, healthy plants! We are picking off a pint of cherry every day, and that is off 4 cherry plants. We aren't getting as many larger tomatoes, but I lost a few and gave away a few of those plants, so I am down to 3, and they are too crowded.....I'll try to get it right again next year! :mrgreen:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Loop on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Thank you Godstudent, I need all the help I can get LOL!.
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby burien1 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:44 pm

I gave up trying to grow stuff here. Possums come every night and dig up everything. Even all my potted flowers. The deer knock over my small fences and eat everything in sight. Guess if worse comes to worse, I'm to be a meat eater. :lol:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby daffodyllady on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:35 am

Burien, meat is a good thing... especially venison. :grin:
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby xdrifter on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:13 am

Raw Milk contains 300% more vitamin C, a long with up to 20% more of various other vitamins then pasturized milk. Up until world war 2 was even considered medicine.

Raw Milk is considered a living thing, loaded with Bacteria that helps your body be strong and fight off sickness and disease. Pasturized milk is cooked milk, which contains the same Bacterias, only they are dead from the cooking of the milk.

Because of the workings of our food cycle, and because Dairys recieve milk from many farms, and cannot guarentee the well being and safe keeping of every animal they are recieving milk from, their answer is to sanitize all of the milk by cooking it. The problem with this is that you loose most of the nutrition value!

For example if a cow is not free-ranged on fresh grasses and is cooped up only being fed grain, the raw milk from this animal would be dangerous for consumption.... but rather then eliminate the risk of dangerous milk, the answer was to consider it all dangerous, which benefits large corporations who hold monopolys (which are more and more prevelent in todays FOOD industy)

Raw milk sales are illegal in most of North America, but what many have organized in rural areas is MILK SHARES, since you can legally consume the raw milk of your own cow, some farmers will sell you a share in a cow, meaning you own a small part of that cow and can now drink fresh, raw milk!

A better solution for those with some land, is to get a cow and have her knocked up every spring, this will give you calf meat, a long with fresh milk every morning and night.

For those with out land, there are many farmers out there, who free range their animals, and love to deal directly with people like yourself and you will certainly find a difference eating fresh beef, chicken, and pork, milk, eggs and produce from your local farmers free ranged animals... you will avoid all of the danger of growth hormones, and in my opinion greater risk of contamination since the meat you are consuming is not traveling and being handled so much.

The key is to understanding how healthy animals ought to be kept, and having a walk around the farm you plan to purchase from to decide for youself if you want to consume this food... (a luxury you lose dealing with a grocery store)\\\

you are what you eat
"About the time of the end, a body of men will be raised up who will turn their attention to the prophecies, and insist upon their literal interpretation, in the midst of much clamour and opposition." Sir Isaac Newton, 1642-1727

Remember me affectionately to good Dr. Price and to the honest heretic Dr. Priestly. I do not call him honest by way of distinction; for I think all the heretics I have known have been virtuous men. They have the virtue of fortitude or they would not venture to own their heresy; and they cannot afford to be deficient in any of the other virtues, as that would give advantage to their many enemies; and they have not like orthodox sinners, such a number of friends to excuse or justify them. Do not, however mistake me. It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic.
xdrifter

Postby xdrifter on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:26 am

burien1 wrote:I gave up trying to grow stuff here. Possums come every night and dig up everything. Even all my potted flowers. The deer knock over my small fences and eat everything in sight. Guess if worse comes to worse, I'm to be a meat eater. :lol:

we had coons eat all of our corn, know it was coons cause they were polite enough to pile all of the husks in neat little piles after eating all the corn... also had a little ground hog camped out under the chicken coop who would eat all the broccoli and cauliflower... he must have figured that was a dream home, living under an insulated coop, with all the food he could eat just a few feet away!

the solution is to get a dog. dogs with jobs are the happiest dogs ! you can imagine why, they'll make a career out of chasing posums everynight

with a dog you will not loose anything in your garden to varments or deer or at least it seems that way out my way, the only downside is that you won't see as much wild life around your property, which is the only reason i can think of that those without dogs out here dont have them.
"About the time of the end, a body of men will be raised up who will turn their attention to the prophecies, and insist upon their literal interpretation, in the midst of much clamour and opposition." Sir Isaac Newton, 1642-1727

Remember me affectionately to good Dr. Price and to the honest heretic Dr. Priestly. I do not call him honest by way of distinction; for I think all the heretics I have known have been virtuous men. They have the virtue of fortitude or they would not venture to own their heresy; and they cannot afford to be deficient in any of the other virtues, as that would give advantage to their many enemies; and they have not like orthodox sinners, such a number of friends to excuse or justify them. Do not, however mistake me. It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic.
xdrifter

Postby Loop on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:16 pm

with a dog you will not loose anything in your garden to varments or deer or at least it seems that way out my way, the only downside is that you won't see as much wild life around your property, which is the only reason i can think of that those without dogs out here dont have them.

Our deer must be different from yours LOL!

I had a Norwegion Elkhound, the deer had him so scared he wouldn't even hardly go up into the woods, then we got a German Shephard (what I was raised with) "So I'm thinking: He's gonna get rid of those pesky deer!",

He beat the Norwegion off the mountain, with the deer in high persuit!...

And he ain't no small Shephard, Go's about 120 course he's now getting up in age a little bit but our deer trained him good LOL! They come right up to the porch and he sits close to the door and growls and barks at them .... :oops:

The horses and pony's does him the same way, they seem to love to tease him.. Poor fella..
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby xdrifter on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:12 pm

if that sort of thing happens here you take photos and video of that, and of the trouble they are causing you to cover your butt, after you have proof of them being trouble and damaging your farming you get a license to cartwheel them as a neusience animal

which is great if you like eating venison

xdrifter

Postby xdrifter on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:13 pm

you guys got mule deer??? we got white tails, cowardly ones

xdrifter

Postby Loop on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:35 am

Ours are whitetails, only not cowardly LOL! They have lost their fear they are so plentiful..

Hubby has had to get rid of several because they were getting too dangerous, even threatening us, when they come torward you stomping and with no fear, it really doesn't make you feel to good , one of our friends came up and was outside the barn in behind our truck, was going to show us how well he sounded like a baby deer, by calling one in, she chased him into the barn, scared him good LOL..
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby burien1 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:03 am

We have White tail here as well. The wild life is one of the reasons I fell in love with this place, but it seems for everything good, there is something bad. There 's nothing like walking out on your porch and being startled by a family of racoons.
burien1

Postby daffodyllady on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:00 pm

My grown children are calling me crazy.

At 49 and 1/2, I went out and fenced in 1/3 of an acre with 4-foot-high 2"x4" woven wire, on T-posts I drove in with a pipe driver. I am covered with poison ivy and blackberry scratches. But I am a little lighter weight, a little stronger, and very contented.

Because now I have three beautiful white milk goats to tend every morning and evening.

I get about a gallon of milk every day. I know, it's waaaay too much milk for us. But I am learning to make ... CHEESE! (And the price of feed, translated into milk, comes to less than $1 a gallon!)

First experiment was with Ricotta. That is easy. All you do is heat the milk to 188*F. While heating it, add 1/2 cup vinegar per gallon of milk. Stir while heating. When it reaches 188, cut off the heat, and slide the pot off the burner. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, line a colander with muslin. Not cheesecloth: ricotta grains are too tiny; they will escape thru cheesecloth. Pour the curds and whey through the cloth, and then hang to drain for a few hours. Voila! Perfect spreadable goat cheese. I love the flavor if I stir in a few Tbsp of sour cream! Serve with pureed strawberries over top. OOooooo. Another idea: layer it on a burger and top with spaghetti sauce. Yum.

Second experiment: I had way too much to do this weekend, so I tried a very old-fashioned way of making cheese: allow it to ripen naturally. I poured each day's fresh milk into a 3-gallon pot on the back of the stove. After 5 milkings, (2 & 1/2 days) it had a lovely tang to it! So, this evening, I warmed it to 80* and stirred in half a rennet tablet, dissolved in cool water. It set up nicely in an hour. So, I cut the curd into squares, and set the pot over onto my wood stove. It slowly warmed to about 100*F. I ladled the shrunken, firmed curds into a cloth-lined colander, pressed the whey out of it slightly, and then stirred in some salt. (Those squeaky curds were so tasty at this point!)

I had a 2-quart can that I took the bottom and top out of, and found a jar that fit down inside it. So I used that for a cheese ring. I put a dinner plate upside-down in my big kettle, and set the can on it. After lining it with the cloth, I poured in my salted curds, and followed it with the jar. A block of wood on top brought the height up to the bottom of my top cupboards. So a long thin board leveraged under the counter on one end, over the top of the "cheese press" in the middle, and then counterbalanced by hanging a gallon of water on the other end, is now at work pressing the cheese overnight. I don't want to wait as long as I'm supposed to, to taste that cheese!

Next will be mozzarella. I have done that before, with cow's milk. It is fairly easy, requiring only citric acid and rennet. And it doesn't take a long time to do, either.

Now, I need a few cheese customers. :grin:
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 am

I LOVE IT, Daffodyllady. Goat cheese is something wonderful!!! I served it at my brother's "bridal shower" (we do couples showers in our family....the males and females all come and its a party for everyone to enjoy). Anyway, there is a farm in Aiken, SC that raises goats and sells their cheese and milk (butter???, too) at the Farmer's Market as well as at the Whaley St. Market. They put spices in their cheeses, offering about ?10? kinds....such as Rosemary with sea salt, etc.....You can sample the cheeses and pick what you want to buy. I bought quite a bit for this party and EVERYONE WENT CRAZY FOR IT!!!!

I would not hesitate to go there and buy more if I were having another party. I think I paid around $45.00 for a pound of the flavored cheeses (they're soft cheeses), and it was $ well spent, as everyone loved it.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Mr Baldy on Sat May 18, 2013 6:37 am

Ok,

I'm trying my hand(s) at gardening. I've read through a few of the posts - but can anyone please tell me how to get started? Please forgive me if you have mentioned the basics, as I may have overlooked it.

I have had a small garden for - well this is going on my 3rd year. I know absolutely nothing about "how to grow your own foods". Initially I purchased a tiller, ground up the ground, made my rows and threw some seeds in it. Well, it takes more than that! :mrgreen:

I told a friend at work that I wanted to start a garden. And I'm no farmer by any means. He gave me about five 5 gallon buckets of compost that he made himself, with leaves, home scraps; manure...etc. I did as he instructed and tilled the compost into the soil, and WOW! When I planted the seeds last year, (squash; tomatoes; egg plants; and various melons) they just absolutely took off.

This year not so good. In San Antonio, Texas the soil is terrible. I can see this as millions of rocks have crept into my small garden. I tilled the ground again, made my rows, and removed as much as the rocks as possible. I have planted seeds I had left over from 2 years ago - some have come up, some have not. The squash have grown, but not as fast or as hearty as they did when my friend provided compost.

I want to know more about doing my own compost; how long do seeds last; and how to make my soil fertile - despite those darn rocks!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with information!
Mr Baldy

Postby GodsStudent on Sat May 18, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Mr. Baldy: I am a little limited right now on time, but I will work on part of your question now and try to add more in the coming days....or perhaps someone else will chime in, too???

I want to know more about doing my own compost; how long do seeds last; and how to make my soil fertile - despite those darn rocks!

Compost pile:

This is by far the best thing you can do for natural soil, we commonly refer to as "black gold." There are two ways to compost. One is to make a small pile, wet it and turn it frequently, and the things in it will break down fast, but you will have limited compost. I do not use this method for two reasons, first....time....I don't have the time to stay with it and second....I like to add compost once, which means about a month before setting my plants, I put the compost where I'll need it, hoe it in (or till it in) and it's all better.

The method I use is called "slow cook." In the slow cook method, you add throughout the year and turn only occasionally. I let the rain wet it over the winter months, and in the summer months, I wet it, completely cover it with a tarp (so that it will get hotter, killing all bacteria and causing the composting materials to break down faster). Since it's covered, you will get some greenhouse effect (your water will stay), but you will need to wet it every few weeks while it's covered.

Slow compost piles do best with 2 parts dead material and 1 part live. Dead are leaves that have fallen and tea bags/coffee bags, white paper....live are green things (trimmed shrub leaves...as long as you dont use chemicals on them, and spent plants you pull from the ground like annuals in the fall, etc).

What to put on it:

All fruit and vegetable trimmings from the kitchen (peels from onion, lemon, oranges.....rotted cucumbers that sat in the fridge too long....that sort of thing).

Shred white paper or newspaper. This is fantastic for your compost pile. Nothing shiny....only dull white paper....no ink coloring aside from black and white. White paper and newspaper add a TON of nitrogen to your soil....your veggies love nitrogen!

Fireplace ashes....burn the wood, put the ashes in your compost bin. If all you burn is artificial logs, don't put that in your compost pile....probably full of chemicals. (this is my opinion, I don't know what the "science" position is on this)

tea bags and coffee grinds.

Raked leaves from the yard....pinecones and sticks are fine, but they will take more than a year to break down, which is fine. I put these in, as pine is great for compost, but I have to pick the half composted sticks and cones out of my compost and put them back on the pile....they'll be ready next year.

egg shells.....they're fantastic. Actually, through the growing season, I break these up and put them around my tomato plants...tomato loves egg shells.

paper towels....(no grease, only towels you've wiped your clean hands with or used to clean up fruit and vegetable messes...)

Cardboard boxes

No chemicals in your compost, no oil in your compost, no meat in your compost.....

Here's an article I cut and pasted from the internet...I hope it will come through:

http://www.geo.hunter.cuny.edu/~mclarke ... ompost.htm
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby daffodyllady on Sat May 18, 2013 11:38 am

However, once after butchering, I had a lot of uncooked fat I wasn't sure what to do with... so I took it to the garden and buried it. One year later, that spot had been turned into the most fantastic place--full of worms and black dirt! The worms were drawn to digest the fat, and turned it into castings.
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby Mr Baldy on Sun May 19, 2013 4:07 pm

GodsStudent wrote:The method I use is called "slow cook." In the slow cook method, you add throughout the year and turn only occasionally. I let the rain wet it over the winter months, and in the summer months, I wet it, completely cover it with a tarp (so that it will get hotter, killing all bacteria and causing the composting materials to break down faster). Since it's covered, you will get some greenhouse effect (your water will stay), but you will need to wet it every few weeks while it's covered.

Thank you so much GodsStudent! This is the method that I will use. :grin:
Mr Baldy

Postby bchandler on Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 am

Mr. Baldy,

Here are the best two books I can imagine for the beginning gardener.

The first is "How to Grow More Vegetables" by Jean Jeavons (I think I spelled the name right).

The second is a PDF that you can find on the Internet called:

The Humanure Handbook

The first book teaches you everything you need to know to grow all the food you want with all human powered tools. It teaches the bio-intensive or French intensive method of gardening.

The second book teaches you how to construct a thermophilic compost pile that will allow you to safely compost everything... And I mean everything... Including human waste, bones, and carcasses... If you so desire... Or ever find it a necessity.

The difference between thermophilic composting and regular aerobic composting is as follows:

1. You don't need to turn the pile. In fact you lose nitrogen if u do.
2. Your piles will completely compost in 1-2 years instead of 2-3.
3. Your piles will be guaranteed weed and disease free.
4. Your piles will be an ideal environment for mycelium (fungus) that are beneficial to your garden.
5. Your compost will have a better Bacteria, fungus, and nutrient profile than traditional compost.

If the idea of composting things like carcasses, bones, and human waste grosses you out... Don't do it. You can always just find a good source of horse or chicken manure to add to your piles for the extra oomph it takes to kick start a thermophilic reaction in your compost pile.

Good compost requires a lot of air and water... One of the best sources of water is urine... Which when filtered by the kidneys is essentially sterile and not a source of disease. Again... Completely up to you if you want to do that or not.

The air requirement is met by learning how to properly layer a pile with coarser material that allows air flow through it.

One last word on composting human waste... Many American waste treatment plants now do this... Europe has done it longer... And composting toilets are becoming ecologically responsible behavior in many conservationist circles. So the idea of composting waste and returning it responsibly to productive use... Rather than polluting our water with it... Is growing in acceptance and popularity.

The gardening book will teach you how to improve your soil over the course of about 4 years. Growing a layer of top soil that will be up to 24 inches thick. With ever increasing crop yields... Up to 8 times commercial crop yields.

Another good book that follows the bio-Intensive method is "Square Foot Gardening". This book is popular for teaching container based gardening for those living in tight quarters with only patio, balcony, or roof tops for gardening space.
I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Fri May 24, 2013 11:02 am

I forgot...

Here is a web site that can teach you everything you ever wanted to know about gardening... And more...

http://bountifulgardens.org

Their books section contains evrything you could ever want.

They also sell seeds, flats, tools, inoculates and natural pesticides, etc...

They also offer training classes in the bio-intensive method of gardening.
I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.
bchandler

Postby GodsStudent on Fri May 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Bobby: The Lord has truly blessed you with certain knowledge that is so useful and helpful to all of us. I am grateful for your contributions to these threads, and I thank the Lord He has blessed you with such a gift of knowledge.

I know I won't change my mulch process right now as I am getting all I need and it's beautiful and nutrient dense soil...I'm not crazy about using human waste, but you can be certain I am going to follow the links you gave for "how to" with the mulching of most everything....if an EMP were to go off, this information would be vital to have and to share in order that people are able to maintain a sanitary and "functional" environment.

I have literally tons of garden books in my collection. I have them all packed up right now (we're moving), so I can't name my favorites, but one of the best resources for me was the local "extension" group. They have every variety that grows well in our area, when to plant, what to feed it, best varieties for our local area (for production)....just endless information, and it was all FREE !!!!!! I printed out their articles on the different vegetables and fruits and vining and cole crops and then I cut holes in them and put them in two huge notebook binders.

I also printed from the internet information on COMPANION and ANTAGONIST plants.

Something such as this is important to print out.....http://www.gardenzone.info/articles/ind ... article=11

This teaches you, for example, that onions are antagonists for asparagus....so you can't plant them together or near each other....and on the other hand, basil and parsley help asparagus grow, so you'de like to plant these with each other if you happen to be growing these things.

Then, there is succession planting. Here are some charts for that: https://www.google.com/search?q=success ... 24&bih=629

This is so that you can get the most out of your growing season.

Then, there is rotation planting. Here's a chart, (maybe not my favorite chart), but Google literally has tons of them....
http://www.organicgardens.co.uk/crop_rotation_aja.html

Rotation tells you what to plant in the same spot you planted something else the year before. If you plant tomatoes in a spot one year, the following year you would want to plant lettuce.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Mr Baldy on Sun May 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi Bchandler :grin:

Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent links, and informational resources on how to help get me headed in the right direction. I will be purchasing the book "How to Grow More Vegetables" - as I have had problems with vegetables such as spinach, and cabbage - both of which I just absolutely love, just can't get them to grow here in San Antonio.

Thanks again to GodsStudent, who has given me some excellent ideas on beginning my compost pile, and yourself for the excellent links and resources. God Bless!
Mr Baldy

Postby bchandler on Wed May 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Mr. Baldy,

Spinach, Cabbage, and most cruciferous vegetables are cool weather crops... I imagine that in San Antonio your weather might be too hot a lot of the year. The good news is that these types of plants can be container gardened year round, indoors.

I would use the kinds of containers with wheels so that you can easily move them inside and outside as the weather permits.

YBIC,

Bart
bchandler

Postby smallisland on Thu May 30, 2013 12:14 am

http://spaceandscience.net/

Take a look at the press release and Executive Summary on global cooling.

We need to find ways of growing food in new climatic conditions!
smallisland

Postby GodsStudent on Thu May 30, 2013 7:00 am

smallisland wrote:http://spaceandscience.net/

Take a look at the press release and Executive Summary on global cooling.

We need to find ways of growing food in new climatic conditions!

I have been talking about this with a friend for the past two days. We are discussing things like using recycled windows to make glass cold frames (like they use up north to increase their growing season). We are talking about greenhouses and since climate controlled areas (or indoors type areas) will be needed, the subject of square foot gardening. We have also talked about the need to do a lot of canning this summer and having root cellars, like they did in years past.

I listened to Rick Wiles show on this, with the topic and link below here:

Topic: Former N.A.S.A. scientist and current president of the space and science Research Corporation, John L. Casey discusses his book “Cold Sun” and the coming ice age. http://www.trunews.com/listen/
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby smallisland on Thu May 30, 2013 9:09 am

I believe what they're saying completely.

I don't think the average person has the slightest idea how serious this is.

In England we don't have summer as a season any more - just the odd hot day here and there. When I was a girl back in the 60s and 70s we still had summers. What sticks in my mind is sleeping with just a sheet covering me and the window open. I can't remember the last time it was warm enough to do that. Its June 1st tomorrow but I'm still wearing a fleece. The house is a couple of degrees too chilly for comfort but I feel guilty turning the heating on in "summer"! I'm thinking, as we are set to retire in a couple of years time, hubby and I will be downsizing to somewhere as small as possible so we can stand a chance of being able to afford to keep warm.

Canning sounds very sensible. What's a root cellar?
smallisland

Postby GodsStudent on Fri May 31, 2013 6:35 am

GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:17 pm

I missed this tip while flipping through my garden books, but I hope to catch future composters ahead of them making this mistake:

I throw out all sorts of good stuff into my compost bin, and any spent fruits and vegetables in my kitchen always go straight to the compost pile, so guess what I have????....well, gorgeous black dirt....gorgeous.....with you would be shocked to know how many fruits and vegetables sprouting up in there....with all sorts of lovely flowers on them, just bursting to be tickled by a bee.....and not one piece of fruit or vegetable!

Why?

GMO....is in the food I eat, and when I compost my fruits and vegetables WITH THEIR SEEDS, then I have gmo seed in my compost.

FUTURE COMPOSTERS BEWARE: If you compost your fruits and vegetables in your home, be sure to strip all the seed into your trash can.......and keep the gmo out of your yard.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:10 am

I have found a new favorite thing to do when I want to browse on the internet for a little while. I just google:
PINTEREST GARDEN BLOGS

and all sorts of goodies come up. I love the variety of topics different people are pinning and I learn new things, or get new great ideas all the time. My plans for this summers garden are huge and I have been working hard to that end (getting seeds in trays and setting up my growing format and new gardens design....I am looking to make our entire back yard a food growers paradise, but this year, I am adding all sorts of natural companion planting to my garden vegetables to improve food flavors (such as grow Chamomile with onion to improve the onion flavor, or lemon balm with tomatoes to improve flavor), to improve natural pest control (like Calendula with tomatoes to repel asparagus beetles and tomato worms or sage and onion near carrots to repel carrot flies). Not only that, interplanting the home garden with lots of flowers nearby will encourage pollination and a happy and healthy (less weed) growing area that is chock full of interesting dynamic and depth. I am so excited that I will have a chance (Lord willing, as I am still quite concerned about what this year may bring for the US and Israel).....I am quite excited about the garden tho.....and so happy I found something to get my mind off of a constant diet of the news when not at work of doing something with my family. My daughter wants a new cell phone, and I am giving her a chance to earn it by working with me (for pay). She has been asking for this phone for 3 years now, and the time has come, imo, for me to give her a chance to earn it...she is old enough that I will be ok with her having it....and since it will serve her interests, I am going to enjoy having her work side by side with me in the gardens :mrgreen: (she thinks it will pay off for her, but I know that it will pay off for me...as I adore spending time with my child, even if she would rather eat a bug, lol)...teenagers...gotta love em'!
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby bchandler on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:59 am

The thing that concerns me most... Well 2 things... with GMO foods;
    1. That GMO contamination of heirloom crops will keep these perverted genetics from ever being removed from our food supply.
    2. That this terminator gene, and/or it's attendant retro-virus, will make it into the wild, causing mass reproductive failure in plants globally.

Remember, there is end time prophecy that talks about planted seed failing to grow, and just rotting in the ground. Don't remember where it is, but I remember reading it long ago... And it was the first thing that occurred to me when I first read about TERMINATOR GMO's.
bchandler

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:28 am

ok, I have to do a post about bamboo.

Creating a grape vine teepee out of bamboo.
http://www.naturalplaygrounds.info/PDF/diy_teepee.pdf

and bamboo uses
https://www.google.com/search?q=bamboo+ ... d=0CCcQsAQ

Yes, bamboo is terribly invasive, but if you grow it in huge pots in your yard (and are very careful to keep the cuttings off it in a plastic box or something until they fully die...do this before putting the clippings in your mulch bin)....then you can grow your own bamboo in no time and replace a myriad of things you are spending money for at the hardware store....plus, did you see the teepee in the article I linked above????? It's awesome! Grow grapes, provide a canopy for your beans that you can pick as you walk under it, or entertain your kids....

My point is.....give bamboo some real consideration. It dies back in winter here in SC...and the poles turn brown (tho some of us are in shock that it hasn't died back in certain places and is still green and lush here). If you live up north, just bring the pot into your garage and give it minimal water every so often....

I am on a bamboo kick right now and wanting to get the word out about it...its free, its useful and.....it can be contained successfully.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby david on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:46 pm

GodsStudent wrote:ok, I have to do a post about bamboo.

Creating a grape vine teepee out of bamboo.
http://www.naturalplaygrounds.info/PDF/diy_teepee.pdf

and bamboo uses
https://www.google.com/search?q=bamboo+ ... d=0CCcQsAQ

Yes, bamboo is terribly invasive, but if you grow it in huge pots in your yard (and are very careful to keep the cuttings off it in a plastic box or something until they fully die...do this before putting the clippings in your mulch bin)....then you can grow your own bamboo in no time and replace a myriad of things you are spending money for at the hardware store....plus, did you see the teepee in the article I linked above????? It's awesome! Grow grapes, provide a canopy for your beans that you can pick as you walk under it, or entertain your kids....

My point is.....give bamboo some real consideration. It dies back in winter here in SC...and the poles turn brown (tho some of us are in shock that it hasn't died back in certain places and is still green and lush here). If you live up north, just bring the pot into your garage and give it minimal water every so often....

I am on a bamboo kick right now and wanting to get the word out about it...its free, its useful and.....it can be contained successfully.

Some types (very few) are non-invasive. I did some research and found one I have planted called Fargesia Robusta. It's a clumping bamboo, it has rhizomes that grows like a clumping grass. I just planted it last spring. I thought it was going to die this last winter as it was very harsh. It lost all of it's color turning brown. After taking a close look at it, it has green shoots coming out of the soil and the stalks are greening with some leaves as well. It's very hardy and grows 12' to 15'.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Fargesia%20robusta.html
david

Postby GodsStudent on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:13 am

I am so glad you posted this, David. I will be locating some of this to direct sow somewhere in my yard. I have a few huge pots that I am growing a non clumping variety in this summer (it was free and in abundance, so I decided to go with it).
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby GodsStudent on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:17 am

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5p-pxoao1a41s0Unx-lYZQ

I have been watching this MASTER GARDENER's videos. This guy has been around for years (find his bio and read about him and you'll learn how he used to be on television all the time back in the day when we only had 3 or so channels...he's old school).

Anyway, he has great programs for mixing your own solutions to put in your yard for insect control, spring super feeding, and then summer feeding and fall feeding and yard prep for the following year. I've purchased the stuff he talked about to use and am looking forward to seeing how well things go with his various programs for the yard. Most of the stuff was bought at the dollar tree..for much less than commercially prepared chemicals and preparations.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby bchandler on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:34 am

My grandmother had a variety of bamboo that clumped, grew around her water pump pressure column, was about 20 feet tall and had trunks about 1 inch thick. Have no idea what it was... But it made great bean poles and fishing poles. I'd love to have some now, to use as a superstructure for a Quonset hut style green house.
bchandler

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:33 am

We have some salvage places around that sell windows that people have removed to replace in their houses. The used windows sell very cheap. Google Greenhouse windows images and see what people are doing with these cheap windows....it's amazing!
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cUc_FK ... UfA3Pw0S1s

Excellent information for feeding your garden almost for free.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:53 am

bchandler wrote:My grandmother had a variety of bamboo that clumped, grew around her water pump pressure column, was about 20 feet tall and had trunks about 1 inch thick. Have no idea what it was... But it made great bean poles and fishing poles. I'd love to have some now, to use as a superstructure for a Quonset hut style green house.

Thomas Edison used bamboo rather than rebar for his swimming pool and from my understanding the pool has never leaked to this day.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:46 pm

GodsStudent wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cUc_FKQq7M&list=PL3VEy0_tuFgSA596wd13Ka2UfA3Pw0S1s

Excellent information for feeding your garden almost for free.

Great info ! Thanks for sharing that ! Trying to learn EVERYTHING I can.
burien1

Previous

Return to Whatever (Almost)