Signs of a True Believer

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

Signs of a True Believer

Postby mark s on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 am

Came up in another thread . . . testing the the actions of those who claim to be Christians against Scripture.

I think the context was more about testing them against the requirements for the Covenant of Law made between God and Israel at Mount Sinai. Of course we know that God told Timothy through Paul, and by extension tells the rest of us, that the Law is for the wicked and ungodly. We are the redeemed and holy.

No matter.

Testing the actions of those who claim to be Christians against Scripture, seems like a good thing to me, and in particular, for me. That is, I think the first person I need to test is . . . me.

Because I can think of a couple of places that mention, well, like Jesus about the false teachers, you'll know them by their fruits.

But I can think of more places that exhort me to examine myself, and things like that.

What are signs of the True Believer?

There is the fruit:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

Galatians 5:22-23a (NKJV)

Which brings to mind another passage . . .
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7 (NKJV)

So if I'm a True Believer in Jesus, then my life will change in some fundamental ways.

I will increase in:
love, a genuine care and commitment to the well-being of others.

joy, a state of extreme happiness.

peace, a restfulness and contentment.

longsuffering, the ability to endure with calm acceptance.

kindness, a heart inclined towards other's happiness and well-being, easily seen through my actions.

goodness, that virtue Peter mentioned, a heart that wants good and healthy things.

faithfulness, when it simply doesn't matter what else is going on, I will do what I am to do.

gentleness, softly impacting others.

self-control, not making excuses, not justifying, not minimizing, just behaving.

This joy part, God tells us in the letter to Philippi that we are to rejoice always. God's will for you to be extremely happy all the time. How does that sound? Rejoice always! Fact is, that's not hard to do when you hold in mind the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Your sins are gone! God loves you with unending love! Nothing can ever change that! And in rushes the Joy!!

He tells me that everyone should see my gentleness. Do they? If you ever really wonder, you can ask those around you, "Am I a gentle person? Be honest!"

Any anxiety?? He steers us back towards that peace. Any anxiety at all??? The True Believer asks God for those things which might concern, grateful all the while to our Heavenly Father, remaining in restful calm, that perfect peace. A peace only found in the arms of our Father's Love.

Examine yourself to see if you be in the faith.

God spoke that to people questioning Paul's apostleship. God's answer to them was to tell them to instead take a look at themselves.

So we have not stopped praying for you since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.

Colossians 1:9-10 (NLT)

At heart, the True Believer is, simply put, one who truly believes.

Much love!
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Re: Signs of a True Believer

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:34 am

At heart, the True Believer is, simply put, one who truly believes.

...and truly loves.

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,  does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:4-7  
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mark s on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 pm

Hey, I think by the time we're done examining ourselves, we may not have as much time left over for others!

Much love!
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Jay Ross on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Mark,

Because of our different cultural backgrounds, even though we speak the English language, our Meta Data of understanding of the words we use to communicate are not the same and so confusion will always creep into our discussions.

Is it only my responsibility to ensure that I have communicated my posts across this cultural wall, or is there a responsibility on your part to seek clarification of what has been written, so that any confusion as to what is being said is reduced.

This is also true of the Biblical translations that we have at our disposal.

It seems to me that you have formed the view that your understanding is always right and that you will not consider changing your position because of your collective cultural impediments.

After spending some time is a third world country this was always an issue in communicating across the cultural boundaries. During my stay in this third world country, I found it very hard to break through the collective cultural impediments.

Shalom
Jay Ross

Postby mark s on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Jay Ross wrote:It seems to me that you have formed the view that your understanding is always right and that you will not consider changing your position because of your collective cultural impediments.

Hi Jay,

Well then, I'm quite past help, am I not?

Much love,
Mark
mark s

Postby Jay Ross on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:42 pm

mark s wrote:
Jay Ross wrote:It seems to me that you have formed the view that your understanding is always right and that you will not consider changing your position because of your collective cultural impediments.

Hi Jay,

Well then, I'm quite past help, am I not?

Much love,
Mark

:wink: :mrgreen: :a2: :oops:

That is not my call, would you not say?
Jay Ross

Postby mark s on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:50 am

I don't think this is your call.

Much love,
Mark

:backtotopic:
mark s

Return to General Bible Study & Debate