How should we act?

Discussion not limited to prophecy.

How should we act?

Postby Truthinlove on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 am

Hey everyone

I, among many others, am very upset at the direction of country...very upset with "Washington". I have a strong desire to get involved as much as I can with politics this year to try to make a difference. I want to see our country get back on track. I want to get the progressives who are determined to destroy our country, out of office!

However, now I am feeling a bit conflicted! When I start to think of end-time prophecy, I start to think "well....maybe I shouldn't do anything because we are destined to decline for prophecy to be fulfilled." I mean, since it WILL be fulfilled exactly how He said it would, is there a point to even try to fight corruption and evil? Are we supposed to just allow to happen and kind of be a bystander? I mean, if we believe that there will be a one world government, a one world currency and a world leader (AC), as we see our society headed in that direction, what is the proper response?? Our constitution is being eroded, our freedoms are being eroded...that is WRONG! Yet, it has to happen, it will happen eventually. So......? I'm just a little confused right now.
Any advice/input? :humm:
"I didn't survive so I could make everyone comfortable. I survived so I could stir things up a bit. And I have a great time doing it." - Gianna Jessen (abortion survivor)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOljzwNVGNY
http://www.giannajessen.com/
Truthinlove

Re: How should we act?

Postby momof3boys on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 am

I posted in the thread about BHO having his own army what I plan to do. I do not plan to fight - what will happen will happen. Those that live by the sword will die by the sword. If we get to vote this November, I will vote but do not have faith that the results will be accurate or correctly enforced. I guess you could say I've lost faith in this government. They (the current federal government in power) have completely disregarded the laws (the Constitution) that this country was founded on and now have an army to back up whatever they decree. I plan to leave, if able and given the Word from God to do so. Under current court rules (divorce with kids), I can not leave legally, so I have to have STRONG confirmation from God to disobey those rules. I will do my best to obey whatever rules there are, but if they are in conflict with God's laws, I will obey God, not man. Fear God, not man.
momof3boys

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:35 am

....as we see our society headed in that direction, what is the proper response??

Good question, Truthinlove!

(did you really want this question to be available to pre-wrath only members?) Just wondering.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Truthinlove on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:13 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:
....as we see our society headed in that direction, what is the proper response??

Good question, Truthinlove!

(did you really want this question to be available to pre-wrath only members?) Just wondering.

No...I guess not. I am just used to posting in this forum. :)
You could move it to another forum if you like. I'd like to hear several responses. Thanks
"I didn't survive so I could make everyone comfortable. I survived so I could stir things up a bit. And I have a great time doing it." - Gianna Jessen (abortion survivor)
Truthinlove

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 am

OK, then....done!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Salty Skipper on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:28 am

Truthinlove, I share your confusion. Since we are to occupy until He comes, I think we can do both. We can do as much as we can to stay in contact with our legislators on matters which very much affect us and our families, and future generations. Also to do what we can to get better leaders elected. At the same time, we are still Christians who can share the gospel to all the Holy Spirit leads us to. We look through a 'dark glass.' We know that everything is going to come to pass according to God's Word, but sometimes we can't see exactly what's going on. Therefore, we must do the best we can, whatever we are doing. As the Lord leads!
Salty Skipper

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 am

*snip*
Was it right for Bostonians to trespass on private property and to dump tea in the Boston Harbor to protest a tea tax? Should Christians in the 1850s have obeyed the Fugitive Slave Laws and sent runaway slaves back to their owners?

Should Rosa Parks should have obeyed the local segregation ordinances and given up her bus seat to that white man? Was it right for Judge Moore to disobey an order from the federal judiciary and refuse to remove a monument of the Ten Commandments from an Alabama Court Room?

Dave Daubenmire has some very strong words about this very topic, and while I'm not sure I agree with everything he writes, he does make several good points that make you think....

more
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby nike on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:38 pm

If we choose to sit idly by and let things happen, would that fall into the "looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God" as mentioned in II Peter 3:12? I've always wondered what it meant by "hastening" in that verse...(I'm sure Orange knows what that means...) :grin:
nike

Postby AndCanItBe on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:28 pm

2 Timothy 3

1But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come.

2For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy,

3unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,

4treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,

5holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these.

6For among them are those who enter into households and captivate weak women weighed down with sins, led on by various impulses,

7always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

8Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men of depraved mind, rejected in regard to the faith.

9But they will not make further progress; for their folly will be obvious to all, just as Jannes's and Jambres's folly was also.

10Now you followed my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, patience, love, perseverance,

11persecutions, and sufferings, such as happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium and at Lystra; what persecutions I endured, and out of them all the Lord rescued me!

12Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.

13But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

14You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them,

15and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 4

1I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom:

2preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.

3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,

4and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

5But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

6For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come.

7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith;

8in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Just my 2 cents about some of what I get out of these two chapters. Chapter 3 v 14-17 I take to mean, hold fast to what you already know is truth and keep continuing it without wavering, recognize scripture is useful in every situation a Christian (or non-Christian for that matter) encounters. I also think it is inferred here that you should strive to be wise by knowing and understanding scripture.

Some things in 2 Timothy 4 verse 2 really stand out to me also

preach the gospel -Certainly we should do this out of concern/love for sinners but I think a lot of times we miss that the gospel is a danger to our enemies, and a way to defeat them, especially if the enemy becomes saved. This is a large part of why Christians are persecuted, IMO. The gospel is a danger to their entire being.

be ready in and out of season- to me this means whether you think the time is near or not, whether you're in times of ease or persecution

reprove, rebuke, exhort, with patience and instruction- I take this to mean whenever the Holy Spirit tells you it's called for, maybe it's primarily aimed at the church, but IMO, it also can apply to situations with unbelievers and corrupt governments. I don't think we can go around correcting every little thing we see, but I don't believe we need to passively sit by with our mouths closed while corrupt people run amuck just because we're in the last days. Paul makes it clear it's important that we make the most of our time because the days are evil.

Ephesians 5

1Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children;

2and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.

3But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;

4and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

5For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

7Therefore do not be partakers with them;

8for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light

9(for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth),

10trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord.

11Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them;

12for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret.

13But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light.

14For this reason it says,
"Awake, sleeper,
And arise from the dead,
And Christ will shine on you."

15Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise,

16making the most of your time, because the days are evil.

17So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

18And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,

19speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord;

20always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father;

21and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.
AndCanItBe

Postby revelation12eleven on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:13 pm

Truthinlove,

This post by John Piper I thought was really good. He wrote it right before the elections in 2008.

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TasteAndSee/ByDate/2008/3347_Let_Christians_Vote_As_Though_They_Were_Not_Voting/

I think it may help you...it did me. (The arms we should take up is voting, but we vote as if we are not voting, because the form of this world is passing away...)

Nike,

I checked my JMac Study Bible to see what he had to say about "hastening." He said "hastening" means "eagerly desiring" that something will happen. Christians are not to fear the future day of God, but eagerly hope for it. JMac says that "day of God" is not the same as the "Day of the Lord." He said the "day of God" refers to the eternal state, in preparation of which the heavens and the earth are burned up and the new creation is made. And I believe the time frame he puts that at is after the millennium. I don't think Orange would agree with this...Orange?

I'm going to go track him down...
Overcomer
revelation12eleven

Postby The Orange Mailman on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Hey Overcomer-

I hesitate at posting in threads like these because tempers can flare over this subject. I think II Peter 3 is a great passage to point to. First off, the hasting, or hastening unto the Day of God. It seems to me to have the idea that you mention, earnestly desiring. The Greek word is speudo. I wonder if we get our word "speed" from this word? The idea would be that we are living our lives in such a way that we are hurrying to get there. It wouldn't be that we are making it happen, but our conduct is such that we are eager to get there. It's going to happen (is what the text is saying) and our attitudes are to be such that live in holiness and godliness in order to speed along to the coming of the Day of God.

And you are correct, the Day of the LORD and the Day of God (in my opinion) are used in the same context in this passage. It's the Day of the LORD in II Peter 3:10 and the Day of God in II Peter 3:12. In both instances there are heavens on fire, present bodies burning up, and dissolving of the elements. You would have to say that there are two different burnings of heaven, two different melting of elements, etc. There is no way that the passage can be diced up in such a way. So the Day of God and the Day of the LORD are both names for the same event when Jesus comes again. That’s how Peter uses both terms.

But now on to what I think about the question posed here. Doesn't this passage say that the present earth, heavens, and everything in it (the works done on it) are going to be burned up? Why should we waste our time engaging ourselves in getting involved with the kingdoms of this world? Let's be about the business of the kingdom of God. Did the apostles try to get involved in governmental positions? Did they lobby for laws to be changed? Or did they preach the gospel of the kingdom? They preached the good news of the kingdom of God and by doing to they turned the world upside down, Acts 17:6-7. Or maybe they were turning it right-side up.

Now, can people be involved in politics for the kingdom of God? I believe they can. But I don’t see too many people around actually doing that. They may claim they are, but it seems to me to be born out of fear many times. “I’m scared of laws that might be passed so I’m going to get involved.” Whatsoever is not of faith is sin. Fear and faith are exact opposites.

Anyway, that’s my two cents. I’ll go back to just watching threads like this.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby revelation12eleven on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks, Orange! You always make sense (to me anyway) and I agree with you...
Overcomer
revelation12eleven

Postby nike on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks Rev12:11 and thanks for showing up, Orange...
nike

Postby Truthinlove on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 am

momof3boys wrote:I do not plan to fight - what will happen will happen. Those that live by the sword will die by the sword. If we get to vote this November, I will vote but do not have faith that the results will be accurate or correctly enforced. I guess you could say I've lost faith in this government. They (the current federal government in power) have completely disregarded the laws (the Constitution) that this country was founded on and now have an army to back up whatever they decree.

Hi Momof3

Just to clarify.....when I said "fight" I didn't mean physically . I meant fight politically, at the polls and through education. Therefore, the living and dying by the sword isn't applicable to what I am asking about.
Truthinlove

Postby Truthinlove on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 am

AndCanItBe wrote:Just my 2 cents about some of what I get out of these two chapters. Chapter 3 v 14-17 I take to mean, hold fast to what you already know is truth and keep continuing it without wavering, recognize scripture is useful in every situation a Christian (or non-Christian for that matter) encounters. I also think it is inferred here that you should strive to be wise by knowing and understanding scripture.

Some things in 2 Timothy 4 verse 2 really stand out to me also

preach the gospel -Certainly we should do this out of concern/love for sinners but I think a lot of times we miss that the gospel is a danger to our enemies, and a way to defeat them, especially if the enemy becomes saved. This is a large part of why Christians are persecuted, IMO. The gospel is a danger to their entire being.

be ready in and out of season- to me this means whether you think the time is near or not, whether you're in times of ease or persecution

reprove, rebuke, exhort, with patience and instruction- I take this to mean whenever the Holy Spirit tells you it's called for, maybe it's primarily aimed at the church, but IMO, it also can apply to situations with unbelievers and corrupt governments. I don't think we can go around correcting every little thing we see, but I don't believe we need to passively sit by with our mouths closed while corrupt people run amuck just because we're in the last days. Paul makes it clear it's important that we make the most of our time because the days are evil.

:a3: Thank you
Truthinlove

Postby Truthinlove on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 am

revelation12eleven wrote:Truthinlove,

This post by John Piper I thought was really good. He wrote it right before the elections in 2008.

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TasteAndSee/ByDate/2008/3347_Let_Christians_Vote_As_Though_They_Were_Not_Voting/

I think it may help you...it did me. (The arms we should take up is voting, but we vote as if we are not voting, because the form of this world is passing away...)

Thanks, I bookmarked it to read it soon.
Truthinlove

Postby Mrs. B on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:29 am

How should we act?

Many years back........Oral Roberts was criticised for not fight Communism from the Pulpit....

His answer was........Every time I preach the Gospel I am fighting communism.......Our warefare is not carnal
but spiritual......

II Corin. 10:3....For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war ater the flesh:
4...For the weapons of our warefare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;

There is the Kingdoms of this World.........The old world Babylon system that now is.......and God is calling us Out....

I Thess. 5:4....But ye, Brethren , are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief...

5...Ye are all the Children of Light, and the Children of the Day:
We are not of the night, nor of darkness...

6...Therefore let us not sleep, as do others;
But Let Us Watch and Be Sober...

7...For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

8...But let us, who are of the day, Be Sober, Putting on the Breastplate of Faith and Love;
and for An Helmet, The Hope of Salvation.

9...For God hath not appointed us to Wrath, But to Obtain Salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

10...WHO died for us, that whether we Wake or Sleep, we should live together with Him....

Jesus said.....Watch and Pray

Mrs. B
Mrs. B

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:10 pm

I gotta tell you, brothers and sisters.....this thread brought tears to my eyes. How proud I am of the responses of my brothers and sisters in this thread. Why should I add anything to something so perfect already?

Here's a beautiful song for all to enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ta8Ik2M ... re=related
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby WhiteH2OWoman on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Salty Skipper wrote:Truthinlove, I share your confusion. Since we are to occupy until He comes, I think we can do both. We can do as much as we can to stay in contact with our legislators on matters which very much affect us and our families, and future generations. Also to do what we can to get better leaders elected. At the same time, we are still Christians who can share the gospel to all the Holy Spirit leads us to. We look through a 'dark glass.' We know that everything is going to come to pass according to God's Word, but sometimes we can't see exactly what's going on. Therefore, we must do the best we can, whatever we are doing. As the Lord leads!

Amen, dear Salty, from YSIC Tam!

We never know when our words WILL have an effect and change a heart towards the Lord, so we must soldier on.
WhiteH2OWoman
Supporting Member

Postby WhiteH2OWoman on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:*snip*
Was it right for Bostonians to trespass on private property and to dump tea in the Boston Harbor to protest a tea tax? Should Christians in the 1850s have obeyed the Fugitive Slave Laws and sent runaway slaves back to their owners?

Should Rosa Parks should have obeyed the local segregation ordinances and given up her bus seat to that white man? Was it right for Judge Moore to disobey an order from the federal judiciary and refuse to remove a monument of the Ten Commandments from an Alabama Court Room?

Dave Daubenmire has some very strong words about this very topic, and while I'm not sure I agree with everything he writes, he does make several good points that make you think....

more

I agree with this line of thinking and want to add to it...although I must warn you this is quite controversial!

I honestly feel the same logic applies to the case for medical uses of cannabis/marijuana. Here are a few quick facts...

It remains illegal under federal law...odd, given that the President is supposedly liberal.
    It is now legal via prescription in 14-15 states (Arizona lists illegal but allows prescriptions)
    There is now a SYNTHETIC called "Marinol", with a very long list of side effects, that sells for anywhere from $227 to $822 per month depending on the dose.
    Marinol is legal and prescribed in Texas...yet the real stuff remains illegal.

Who's telling the truth? The DuPont Company, who are now part and parcel of Big Pharma? Because they were behind the lobbying effort that finally took marijuana off the market for good (even via prescription) in 1939. Big Pharma does NOT like competition.

I have a theory that many antidepressants with very harmful long-term effects could be replaced with less-harmful additive-free nicotine, marijuana, or just a good, stiff drink once in a while. But of course, Big Pharma calls that self-medicating and don't like it when we empower ourselves.
WhiteH2OWoman
Supporting Member

Return to Whatever (Almost)