Corinthians 7 and Paul

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

Corinthians 7 and Paul

Postby Hanani45 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:25 am

Hi again Holly,

I have had an issue with the passage below for a while now and was wondering if you could help.

1Cr 7:10-12
And unto the married I command, [yet] not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from [her] husband:
But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to [her] husband: and let not the husband put away [his] wife.
But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
(Emphasis added of course)

It appears to me that verses 10 and eleven have specific divine authority, whereas verse 12 has only apostolic authority or perhaps even merely Paul's personal esteem behind it. Now I find this difficult to reconcile with, because I see the entire letter to the Corinthians as either Scripture or not - and especially since it carries no more or less weight than the other epistles - I consider it to be a necessary part of the NT and the Word of God. But I'm wondering, can you shed some light on this verse and why Paul seems to construct verse 12 as human opinion, or friendly advice instead of it being another word from God.
I've even been hesitant about asking this question so publicly, as I don't want any young Christians to stumble across it and have the authority of the whole New Testament brought into doubt by the enemy. I myself am not having that kind of faith-crisis and have no intent of causing one, I'd just like to know if you know anything about the nature of this verse.

Thanks
Hanani45

Postby Holly on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:10 am

Hi Hanani45!

Good question! A lot of people are confused about this. An understanding of the context clears it up. In chapter 7, Paul is answering specific questions about marriage that the Corinthians wrote him about.

In verse 10, Paul says the Lord gave the command that a wife should not leave her husband. This was a direct command given by Jesus during his earthly ministry that married couples should not divorce (Matt. 5:32, 19:3-9, Mark 10:2-12 and Luke 16:18).

In verse 12, Paul is simply saying that Jesus never spoke directly to this specific issue during his earthly ministry (the issue of what to do if a Christian has an unbelieving spouse). Yet, like all Paul's commands, this is part of God's Word, and we are required to obey it as such.

I hope this helps!
Holly
Owner

Postby Hanani45 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:20 am

That does clear it up, thank you Holly. I was reading it the wrong way, thinking Paul had heard from God the command in verse 10, but had issued verse 12 out of his God-given wisdom or something like that, without actually hearing it. But now it makes quite a bit more sense.

P.S. Your blog on certain sects of the present-day apostolic movement is a valuable compliment to Herb's prophecy-watching. It is like having one eye on the power of darkness in the world and another on deceitful workings within the Church. I find it disturbing the potions and amulet-like paraphenalia that they are attempting to sell. Will their apostles revive the practices of indulgences before the Lord returns I wonder? Heaven forbid...
Hanani45

Postby Holly on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:16 pm

Hanani45,

I'm glad that cleared it up! I used to read that passage the same way and was also confused.

Thanks for your encouragement about my blog. I really pray that God will use it to keep people out of the apostolic-prophetic movement because I believe this movement is hindering people's walks with the Lord, though they don't know it.

Satan's main method of tripping people up is through deceit (he's the father of lies). That's why the deceitful teachings in this movement (like deceitful teachings anywhere) need to be exposed. The truth sets us free. That's why I named my blog Spirit of Error (and, of course, I took that phrase from 1 John 4:6, which speaks of a "spirit of error" or "spirit of deception" that is working through false prophets.
Holly
Owner

Return to Ask Holly