Matthew 27:52

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

Matthew 27:52

Postby plmguy01 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:37 pm

if there was some sort of mass ressurection at jesus ressurection why wasn't this recorded by other sources and and why aren't these saints alive today?
plmguy01

Postby Holly on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:22 pm

Hi plmguy01,

I don't know of any historical sources outside the Bible that refer to this event. However, this is true of many events in the Bible. There are outside sources that refer to extraordinary events surrounding Jesus' life and resurrection. For example, it is believed that the historian Thallus wrote, in about AD 52, of a fearful darkness that covered the world after Jesus' crucifixion and also a powerful earthquake. He called it a solar eclipse.

However, if Jesus rose from the dead as the Bible claims — which I believe there is good evidence for — then the possibility of others being resurrected, as the Bible also claims, is conceivable.

The Bible isn't clear as to whether the resurrected people were resurrected in their old human bodies or glorified bodies. If human bodies, then they died a natural death (as seems to be the case with Lazarus). If glorified bodies, then maybe God allowed them to stay on earth for a short time and then took them to be with Him. I don't think we can know for sure, though I tend to lean toward them being resurrected into their glorified bodies since I think this miracle showed the first fruits of the resurrection to everlasting life that Christ made available to all of us.

I hope this helps!
Holly
Owner

Return to Ask Holly