Follow up question

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

Follow up question

Postby Schmize on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:52 am

Since we're not allowed to ask follow up questions inside the proper forum I must start a new one. Here is a copy of the thread I seek clarification on: Age of accoutability copy and paste so you don't have to go read then come back.

My name is Rhonda.

I asked a question on one of your sites for which I had no answers at the time and I wanted to ask your opinion on the subject. Here is what I wrote:

"I have been watching this site for some time and am not always impressed with the dialogue of each subject. I have many family members who are estranged from the Lord, because I stand on the belief that those who are not with Christ will perish.

Their argument always begins with what about the children. As God is a loving God, He should not or would not place eternal blame on those that are innocent.

I know that we are born into sin, but I know that there is a time of accountability. I also know that if one is born and is raised as throughout the ages to a thought and belief, that is the way they will go. This argument is what they say keeps them from Christianity because a loving God would not judge those of innocence.

My dilemma is, no matter how I explain the righteousness and the holiness of God they use that for an excuse to say that Christianity is wrong. What can I do? I just want those I love to be saved."

My last reply involved posting a link that was immediately taken off. I would like to know #1 why when there are so many other links on this site that have not been deleted and #2 I would like to know your views on this subject as I know you are more engulfed in prophetic ideas.

Yours in Christ

Rhonda123

Herb
Board Owner

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:29 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhonda123

If you posted a link that was either edited or deleted at FP, it certainly wouldn't have been for asking the question your now asking. I find nothing wrong with your question. But, you are right, my knowledge is in the area of Bible prophecy not apologetics -- that's Holly's field. Your questions is one of the most difficult to answer. Before I move this post to Holly's forum, I'll tell you what I've come to on this question. The O.T. book of Job, when written, is believed to be the oldest book of the Bible. What's interesting to me is here we seem to find the very same question being debated between God and Job. Here God answers with a question. God asks, "Can you draw out Leviathan with a fishhook?" (Job 41:1). Perhaps because of my interest in prophecy, my mind goes to the Garden of Eden, the serpent and the fall, to where the prophet Isaiah talks about God killing Leviathan -- the dragon who lives in the sea (Isaiah 27:1), and I can't help but wonder if here we may find our answer. I believe God is doing something that we can't understand. That's why we have to trust Him and know that what He's doing is right. As far as children go, Jesus talks about children in a special way and their angels always being before God. I believe there is an age of accountability when each of us become aware of sin and our need for a savior. Before that, I believe we may be considered innocent -- as Adam and Eve were before eating the fruit. But, that's just my opinion. Hope this helps.

Now I'll pass your question to Holly.

Herb

Holly
Board Co-Owner

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Rhonda123,

Many people have wondered what God does with those people who never had the chance to hear the gospel or with children who die before they can understand the gospel. The first thing we must keep in mind is that God is just and loving, so whatever He does with these people is fair.

The Bible is clear that there is only one way to have a relationship with God -- through faith in the work Jesus Christ has done on our behalf (dying on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins and rising again to give us eternal life). John 14:6 makes it clear that Jesus is the only way to God. The Bible also states that people who don't acknowledge God are without excuse because He has made His existence known through His creation (Romans 1:18-20).

However, I don't think the Bible states conclusively what happens to those who have never heard the gospel. It gives examples of people who were seeking the truth about God and God revealed Himself to them (for example, when the Ethiopian eunich was searching the Scriptures and God sent Philip to share the gospel with him, or in Acts 10 when Cornelius was praying and God sent Peter to preach the gospel to him). I have heard many stories of people today, from other cultures, who were seeking the truth about God and God revealed Himself to them (by sending someone to share the gospel with them or through a vision, etc.)

The Bible also gives examples of people who didn't have full knowledge about God, but they were accepted by God because they responded to the knowledge of God they had (like Rahab).

So, I don't know, for sure, what happens to those who haven't had a chance to hear the gospel. But whenever people raise this objection to me -- what happens to those who have never heard the gospel? -- I remind them that they have heard the gospel, so they are now without excuse.

I hope this helps!

My follow up:

Holly,

So are you saying it is more important for us to be concerned about what will happen to us rather than everyone else?

Perhaps I didn't ask that right. It sounds very selfish. Each of us will stand before Jesus and be held accountable for our life, saved or not. So, I guess, really, I am asking are we to pay attention to the "fruits" other branches are or are not producing for the kingdom of God or that of our own branch?

Glen
[/quote]
Schmize

Postby Holly on Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:44 pm

Hi Glen,

I'm sorry, I'm sure what you're asking me. Could you please clarify?

Thanks!
Holly
Owner

Return to Ask Holly