Europe’s Empty Churches Go on Sale

News about humankind's turning from God.

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 am

Hundreds of Churches Have Closed or Are Threatened by Plunging Membership, Posing Question: What to Do With Unused Buildings?
MERLIJN DOOMERNIK FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
By NAFTALI BENDAVID
Jan. 2, 2015 7:36 p.m. ET

ARNHEM, Netherlands—Two dozen scruffy skateboarders launched perilous jumps in a soaring old church building here on a recent night, watched over by a mosaic likeness of Jesus and a solemn array of stone saints.

This is the Arnhem Skate Hall, an uneasy reincarnation of the Church of St. Joseph, which once rang with the prayers of nearly 1,000 worshipers.

It is one of hundreds of churches, closed or threatened by plunging membership, that pose a question for communities, and even governments, across Western Europe: What to do with once-holy, now-empty buildings that increasingly mark the countryside from Britain to Denmark?...

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Re: Europe’s Empty Churches Go on Sale

Postby Keeping Alert on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:04 am

Although we know that church is not the building, but it is very sad state of affairs... people are not interested in God and do not cherish the fellowship of brothers and sisters in Christ...
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby sacredcowbasher on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:54 pm

We are not preaching the correct brand of Christianity which would be the actual truth. Most Christians have lost the faith. Those of us who have struggled through the dry places and wandered in the wilderness for much longer than we ever would want to, and have not let the smoking flax go out, have seen the faithfulness of our God.

Jesus said to Martha, 'Did I not tell you that if you would believe, you would see the glory of God'. Sometimes the seeing part of the believing part has a long span of time in between.

In the book of Revelation, we see where it says, 'And this is the faith and the patience of the saints'.

I am not discouraged by the masses of people leaving the church. It tells me that there is much to hope about. The people leaving these dead churches don't want to live a lie. They are interested in life and not dead, lifeless, boring religion.

Many that are still attending churches and suppose to be Jesus' followers are not patient at all. It doesn't matter if Jesus doesn't show up because their brand of Christianity has fool proof provisions. All the members are in control of everything and moving things in the whatever direction they choose to go. They stay busy and look pretty good while doing it.

To go back to Martha for a minute, she was very busy about many things while Mary sat at Jesus' feet. Jesus said Mary chose the right thing.

It doesn't matter what man has to say until he starts saying what the Holy Spirit would have us to hear. There is too much erroneous doctrine in believing churches today. We know that the Morman's don't have it right, or the JW's, or the Catholics. But what about the prosperity churches, or the 'you are a champion' churches, or the psychology churches, or the word of faith churches? Not to mention allowing the purpose driven garbage in many churches today.

The Holy Spirit will only honor those who hold the true way of living out their faith in Jesus Christ, and what He accomplished at the cross. In the early church, signs and wonders followed those who believed. Father God and Jesus our Lord put their seal of approval on those that carried The Truth to the world.

It is happening again today in small places but will grow and the end will not come until this gospel (the real one) has been preached to all the world. Praise the name of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Postby Keeping Alert on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:55 am

sacredcowbasher wrote:
The Holy Spirit will only honor those who hold the true way of living out their faith in Jesus Christ, and what He accomplished at the cross. In the early church, signs and wonders followed those who believed. Father God and Jesus our Lord put their seal of approval on those that carried The Truth to the world.

It is happening again today in small places but will grow and the end will not come until this gospel (the real one) has been preached to all the world. Praise the name of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Are you saying for close to 2000 years we did not have the "real" gospel? :humm:
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby sacredcowbasher on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:36 am

KA, It does seem like the true gospel got polluted in the second and third centuries severely. The apostle John preached against Gnosticism in 1 John. Paul confronted false teachings consisting mostly of legalism or the keeping of the law mixed with believing in Jesus.

It wouldn't surprise me that God had a few throughout the last 2000 years who understood how to live the Christian life. He is able to do amazing things. When Martin Luther saw that the just shall live by faith, an incredible door opened up to mankind. A bright light shown on men because the truth sets people free from bondage and darkness.

I believe today we have come full circle to understand what the apostle Paul taught the church. It was given to him to see the glorious gospel and to spread it around the world.

After the gospel became polluted the catholic church modeled their form of christianity. It was a worldly model made up of unsaved people feeling good about their religion.

I don't much of the history of early America such as Jonathan Edwards and others who preached by the power of the Holy Spirit. Don't know much about the Westly's and the Methodist church of that time. I have heard that they were on fire for God so to speak.

Does this mean that they understood all that the apostle Paul understood? I don't think they did from what I have been taught. Were they real christians? Absolutely. Do we have to understand a whole lot to be christians? No, but if we want to live victoriously we do need to understand the truth. I'm not saying that anyone individual understands everything. Paul himself said, 'that I may know Him in the power of His resurrection and in the fellowship of Hid suffering'.

We can understand the simplicity of the gospel and submit ourselves to it. We can learn to walk by faith and not by sight. We can return to our first love after having tried the many ways to live out this christian life in the power of our own strength. We can agree with Him and humble ourselves and pray, seeking His face, turning from our wicked ways.

It is the Lord's church. He looks after it and He empowers it. Without Him we can do nothing. He told the Philadelphia church, 'you have a little strength'. Where did they get that little strength? Did they work it up? Did they find the right system to operate in? I could go on but you get the drift. It was received from God because they believed.

We have the opportunity to receive more strength than they did because we have more light, more understanding of how to live out this life. The Lord will place His seal of approval on us just as He did the early church and this gospel shall go out unto all the world as a witness, and than the end shall come.
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Return to Apostasy Watch