Weary of Traditional Church, Some Congregations Are Mixing H

News about humankind's turning from God.

Weary of Traditional Church, Some Congregations Are Mixing H

Postby LONGINGFORHOME on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Deuteronomy 4:30-31
When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; (For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
LONGINGFORHOME

Re: Weary of Traditional Church, Some Congregations Are Mixing H

Postby Sunny on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Mixing hymns with beer. Why am I not surprised? :humm:
Sunny

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:35 am

Weary of traditional church? What is that? :humm:

BE YE TRANSFORMED ......

Romans 12: 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Romans 12: 3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Jericho on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:51 am

There doesn't appear to be any preaching whatsoever, just beer and hymns.

Fixed :grin:
Last edited by Jericho on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby burien1 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:57 am

Jericho wrote:There doesn't appear to be any preaching whatsoever, just beer and hymens.

Was the misspelling of that last word, a mistake, or intentional ? :grin:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Jericho on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:01 am

burien1 wrote:
Jericho wrote:There doesn't appear to be any preaching whatsoever, just beer and hymens.

Was the misspelling of that last word, a mistake, or intentional ? :grin:

Whoops! lol sorry. I misspelled beer as bear the first time around too, I'm still waking up. :grin:
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby burien1 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:42 am

Jericho wrote:
Whoops! lol sorry. I misspelled beer as bear the first time around too, I'm still waking up. :grin:
:lol:
It's much better than how I type without my glasses.I found a post once that I had not double checked, and was mortified ! Anyone would have assumed I was drunk, or on drugs. :bag:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby mightymac on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:23 pm

nah, you just got back from that church service! hahaha
actually that would lure my husband!

Apparently cursing isn't wrong anymore either: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/bolz-webers-liberal-foulmouthed-articulation-of-christianity-speaks-to-fed-up-believers/2013/11/03/7139dc24-3cd3-11e3-a94f-b58017bfee6c_story.html
Carolyn

'Was listening to some beautiful Christmas music - so lovely that it brought tears to my eyes. So I asked my youngest daughter, 16, who was doing homework, "I wonder what all the angels in heaven sound like when they are singing Glory to God?"
Without hesitation, she simply replied, "Warm."
mightymac

Postby Jericho on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Shes a liberal Christian which means she probably doesn't take the bible literally. It's a very watered down version of Christianity if you can even call it that. It reminds me of the verse "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2Ti 3:5)".
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Even the title does not imply the embodiment of the Spirit of Christ....."fed up Christians"......what is that????? (again)
Righteous Indignation, I get...fed up Christians....I do not get.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:44 pm

I know of a church near me that meets every Sunday in a Brew Pub. But there is no alcohol served, the owner of the pub got saved and lets the church meet in it's building (the bar is closed) in it's banquet room for free. Visited there and thought it was really great!

RT
Resurrection Torchlight

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:23 am

Resurrection Torchlight wrote:I know of a church near me that meets every Sunday in a Brew Pub. But there is no alcohol served, the owner of the pub got saved and lets the church meet in it's building (the bar is closed) in it's banquet room for free. Visited there and thought it was really great!

RT

This would not be a problem for me, either, as church is not the building, but our churches are doing so much these days that challenge me (rock music, yoga, etc) ....I read scripture last night and was really struck by it....here's what I read

Hebrews 12: 25-29 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain. Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: For our God is a consuming fire
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Jericho wrote:. It's a very watered down version ....

I wouldn't say that in a pub. It could cause a stir. That would not mix well, and would not cause a pouring out of the spirits.

Bad puns aside, you just never know when and how the Holy Spirit will work His way into hearts and minds.

God Bless You

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Exit40 wrote:Bad puns aside, you just never know when and how the Holy Spirit will work His way into hearts and minds.

So true, David. I probably have posted this before but it's worth repeating imo. Years ago a man was back-slidden and serving in the navy. He and his drinking buddies were in a pub when the piano player broke out in "the Old Rugged Cross." That man got tears in his eyes and turned his life around. While I never agreed with his theology, I never forgot that story. He was one of those who promoted the Shepherding movement; Bob Mumford. He did repent of that teaching after a great deal of damage in the Body of Christ. The point I'm making is that I'm in agreement that the Holy Spirit knows how to reach those whose heart has been prepared.

P.S. I doubt most pubs today wouldn't allow the Old Rugged Cross to be played, but you never know. :wink:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Sunny on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:
So true, David. I probably have posted this before but it's worth repeating imo. Years ago a man was back-slidden and serving in the navy. He and his drinking buddies were in a pub when the piano player broke out in "the Old Rugged Cross." That man got tears in his eyes and turned his life around. While I never agreed with his theology, I never forgot that story. He was one of those who promoted the Shepherding movement; Bob Mumford. He did repent of that teaching after a great deal of damage in the Body of Christ. The point I'm making is that I'm in agreement that the Holy Spirit knows how to reach those whose heart has been prepared.

P.S. I doubt most pubs today wouldn't allow the Old Rugged Cross to be played, but you never know. :wink:

Decades ago I read a story about a guy sitting in a bar drinking a glass of wine. Something about the way the light hit the wine made him think of the Blood of Jesus. He started seeking Jesus and was later saved.

So God can reach anyone anywhere. But that doesn't mean that a bar is a good place to go looking for Him. :a2:

Know what brought me back to Jesus after a youth gone astray? Back in the early 80's (I think) one of the DJs on our local soft rock station slipped in "I Don't Care Where You've Been Sleeping" by Don Francisco one evening. It turned my life around.
Sunny

Postby daffodyllady on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Okay... maybe this will rock some boats...

I guess I don't see what's wrong with wine or beer... as long as there is no drunkenness.

Jesus turned water into wine... and those who had just drunk the old stuff said the stuff Jesus made was better... Jesus himself said no man, having drunk old wine, will say, "The new is better." Therefore, the wine Jesus made was not the new stuff.

The wine Jesus served at Passover was the stuff the Jews regularly drank at Passover. And this was in the Spring of the year: not harvest time. There was no way to preserve grape juice without it fermenting over those 6 months from harvest time to Passover! Therefore, Jesus served fermented wine at Passover.

Paul said to Timothy to "take a little wine for thy stomach's sake, and for thine oft infirmities." Fermented wine is alcoholic enough that it works as an antiseptic and, when taken internally, as an antibacterial and antiviral agent. It is good as a medicine for stomach bugs.

Traditional religion in America got swept up in the Prohibition fervor of the late 1800s, and began to interpret the Bible differently about alcohol. Before the 1800s, the church never read a prohibition against any consumption of alcohol. They only understood the prohibition to be against drunkenness, just as equally as against gluttony.

Can you imagine the outcry if the church would take such a strong prohibitionist stance against refined sugar? Yet, today, refined sugar activates the opiate centers of the brain, just as heroin does. It causes just as much health problems to the temple of the Holy Spirit as drinking can.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby Jericho on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:26 pm

I think it's more than just the the drinking, they seem to be heavy on the music and beer but light on the preaching of the gospel... it all seems very carnal.
Last edited by Jericho on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:08 pm

I agree, Jericho. If some are "weary" of traditional church, surely there are other venues for a gathering that would not cause controversy. No one disputes the occasional glass of wine or beer (I don't think) but saloons or pubs today have a reputation for matters other than the spiritual.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Sunny on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:43 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:I agree, Jericho. If some are "weary" of traditional church, surely there are other venues for a gathering that would not cause controversy. No one disputes the occasional glass of wine or beer (I don't think) but saloons or pubs today have a reputation for matters other than the spiritual.

Agreed, Abiding. It's not the wine or beer. It's the carnal atmosphere that encourages casting off inhibitions and letting your moral guard down. And a rebellious spirit toward Christ, I think. At least that is how I perceive it.
Sunny

Postby GodsStudent on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:12 am

IMO compromise IS the reason our churches are in the shape they're in right now. Why does the church need to compromise to get lost and hurting people to hear and receive the message....pain should be the greatest motivation.....

Mark 2: 17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Salvation is a serious matter and not something that should be discussed over a beer in the church on Sunday. It's a sad day in the world when we can't put our beer down long enough to approach the throne of the Almighty God with reverence and decorum....

Proverbs 1: 7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Truly I say we live in Babylon when the day has come that we even begin to think cheapening what is a holy and reverent thing for the accommodations of the unholy. Let them stay outside the doors of the church until they are hurting bad enough to agree to change themselves for that which is inside the doors of the church...and let the inside of the church reflect the seriousness of praise and worship of a Holy God....

It sickens me that the church has made so many strides to change with the times....some things are and will always be timeless...and that is the conduct a saint and his or her worship of a Holy God. Call my stuffy, but it's the very reason I find myself so turned off by almost all the churches across the land....compromise.....I don't want to compromise because this has made the salt less salty....and their water is dry.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Sunny on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:46 am

Truly I say we live in Babylon when the day has come that we even begin to think cheapening what is a holy and reverent thing for the accommodations of the unholy. Let them stay outside the doors of the church until they are hurting bad enough to agree to change themselves for that which is inside the doors of the church...and let the inside of the church reflect the seriousness of praise and worship of a Holy God....

It sickens me that the church has made so many strides to change with the times....some things are and will always be timeless...and that is the conduct a saint and his or her worship of a Holy God. Call my stuffy, but it's the very reason I find myself so turned off by almost all the churches across the land....compromise.....I don't want to compromise because this has made the salt less salty....and their water is dry.

:a3: :a3: :a3:
Sunny

Postby daffodyllady on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:19 am

Well... I agree that modern Christianity in general is so watered-down that the early church would hardly recognize it.

However, this piece was written from a third person point of view, which means it was probably intended to be controversial. As such an effect was intended, the worst of motives would have been insinuated by the author.

I just don't like to get caught up in pointing out evil in other people... especially when we don't have access to interviewing them personally.

It's just too easy to inadvertently become the Pharisee standing and praying thus with himself: "Lord, I thank thee that I am not as other men are..."
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby GodsStudent on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:37 pm

I didn't even read the article...the title of the thread was enough to upset me, and trying to find a spirit filled church that isn't gone completely astray these days, is next to impossible. I rarely get 5 minutes into a conversation and my question that always tells me what I need to know...is the pastor speaking to the congregate about the end times currently going on? More than 90% of responses are no, we've never talked about that....well tell me....how is it something so biblically relevant is so seemingly insignificant to our churches?
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Jay Ross on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:54 pm

Hello

In the country in which I live, the hotel, i.e. the local watering hole, is the only building left in the area where the people come to congregate and the itinerate pastor/minister will sit down in the lounge of that establishment to talk to the people about the essential spiritual matters that are only aired when he is in "town."

The people who meet in that pub, are the church that he is ministering too and his "parish" may be the size of several USA states when all are combined into one and it may be a month before he will be back to talk with his flock.

It seems to me that the "light" of the church(s) is/are hidden under a covering so that the "light" cannot escape and as such the "greater light" is being darkened by the very people who would call Jesus "Lord."

My wife and I have been recently asked to leave a congregation because we dared to asked questions about what it meant for us as a congregation to be a "church" and how it was that we were meant to manifest that within the community that we live in. The pastor was fearful that he could not "control" us as he claimed that only he was responsible for every major decision that his "church" would make as the apostolic leader of the congregation.

If Jesus thought that it was okay for Him to rub shoulders with the sinners of His day, then why is it wrong today for the "church congregation" to also rub shoulders with the sinners that live in the community that we do.

Should we not be giving thanks that a recent "convert" has opened up his "home" so that God's message can be given to a wider audience than would darken the doors of a "respectable" church building?

I wonder whether or not we will hear the words, "Well done, you ‘Blessed of my Father,’ come are receive your inheritance." or will we hear these words, “As you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me. Therefore, depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Are we expressing within this thread the "Heart of the Lord" for all of His people?
Jay Ross

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Jay Ross wrote:My wife and I have been recently asked to leave a congregation because we dared to asked questions about what it meant for us as a congregation to be a "church" and how it was that we were meant to manifest that within the community that we live in. The pastor was fearful that he could not "control" us as he claimed that only he was responsible for every major decision that his "church" would make as the apostolic leader of the congregation.

Jay, I'm sorry this happened to you and your wife, but any pastor who views hard, but appropriate questions as a threat to his "authority," is elevating his position to a level that's not scriptural. You may be interested in this article by Pastor Wade Burleson on the growing problem of spiritual abuse in the church today.

Spiritual abuse is when a leader uses his or her religious position of authority to control, intimidate or dominate another person. It also occurs when a person in need of answers, help or support is denigrated for either questioning the "Lord's anointed" or not being "spiritual" enough to submit to the decisions of the religious authority.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jay Ross on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:<snip>

Jay, I'm sorry this happened to you and your wife, but any pastor who views hard, but appropriate questions as a threat to his "authority," is elevating his position to a level that's not scriptural. You may be interested in this article by Pastor Wade Burleson on the growing problem of spiritual abuse in the church today.

<snip>

I appreciated the link to the articles, however, I may not have been so clear in the message that I was attempting to make when I told our story our being asked not to attend a church.

If I was near that hotel church I would be more than happy to attend and support it. However, there would be a rider to that commitment as it would have to be where God actually wanted me to be.

We should be thanking God that he has raised up this church and pray that He will use it to acheive great things around where it is. To me, it seems that a number of previous posters would not support this view.

Shalom

jay ross
Jay Ross

Return to Apostasy Watch