Megachurch pastor J. Osteen resigns, leaves Christian faith

News about humankind's turning from God.

Megachurch pastor J. Osteen resigns, leaves Christian faith

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:57 pm

"There is zero evidence the Bible is the holy word of God"

Houston, Texas - CNN.com - April 2, 2013 - In a shocking and surprising development, megachurch pastor Joel Osteen has announced he is resigning from his post and leaving the Christian faith.

In a statement released on his website (http://www.joelostenministries.com), which appeared stripped down and bare, he said he has been questioning the faith for a long time. "I believe now that the Bible is a fallible, flawed, highly inconsistent history book that has been altered hundreds of times. There is zero evidence the Bible is the holy word of God," said Osteen

more
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: Megachurch pastor J. Osteen resigns, leaves Christian faith

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:01 pm

His official statement can be read at his web site.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jericho on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Abiding I think this is a left over from April fool's day. I see no such statement at http://www.joelosteen.com
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:07 pm

http://global.christianpost.com/news/jo ... ent-93453/

Yes, I googled it and got lots of stories about the "hoax."
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Official Statement

"A special message from Pastor Joel"

Friday, March 29, 2013

"Thank you for visiting. As many of you may know, and may have heard in the news recently, many of my sermons have deviated from traditional Christian doctrine. I have been accused of altering the 'message' to fit my own doctrine and dogma. Others have accused me of preaching 'feel good Christianity'. I have also been accused of profiting greatly from my ministry, with my books and television deals.

Many of their criticisms are legitimate.

What they don't know is that deep down in my heart, for a number of years now, I have been questioning the faith, Christianity and whether Jesus Christ is really my, or anyone's, 'savior'.

I believe now that the Bible is a fallible, flawed, highly inconsistent history book that has been altered hundreds of times. There is zero evidence the Bible is the holy word of God. In fact, there is zero evidence "God" even exists.

No God worth believing in is going to send you to Hell for not believing in him. Not even the worst sinner and scum of the Earth deserves eternal torment in Hell. In fact, God is more likely to congratulate you upon entering Heaven for doubting, questioning and not believing the religionists and their flimsy facts, demands of blind faith and lack of hard evidence.

What we have to focus on now that I've left the faith are the immediate issues at hand that affect us in the real world. The destruction of our environment by multinational corporations, the poisoning of our food and water, the toxic fluoride they have been putting in our water for 50 years, the toxic GMO foods that the Monsanto corporation is responsible for, Obama's many destructive policies and his administration's attempt to dismantle the 2nd Amendment. These issues will be what I will begin to focus on, so long as the media does not completely shut me out.

Today, I informed my closest colleagues of my decision to leave the church. Our ministry will continue in a bare-bones fashion as we liquidate our assets and fulfill various financial obligations.

I want to thank my wife, our parishioners and our faithful followers, the City of Houston, Lakewood, the State of Texas and my close friends, Oprah Winfrey and Larry King, for all of our support over the years

We're also having some trouble transferring ownership of some of our web sites, so as of now, I haven't been able to update everything on all of them. I'm dealing with some church leaders who refuse to accept my resignation. They are refusing to change or alter any of our many web sites, and this is the only one I have control over."

Pastor Joel also plans to donate a large percentage of his fortune to charities, specifically the Salvation Army, since they do not pay their CEO and upper management exorbitant salaries as do The United Way and Red Cross.

Join us for A Night of Hope for Joel, a fundraiser for Joel, in Houston, Texas on April 20, 2013.

Further details to be posted soon...

http://www.joelostenministries.com/joelosteen.html
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 pm

http://www.joelosteen.com/Pages/BlogIte ... WNr4DeC2So

Well, here's what I got when I googled "Joel Osteen." I got a link to his ministry, which is not the same as you got, Abiding, and the above is the message for the 29th on his website.

His website is Joelosteen
Not joelOSTEN (notice spelling?)
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:16 pm

:faint:

Good grief! That's not funny. I followed a number of (supposedly) credible links and came to the conclusion it was true. How awful!

Just goes to show you how easy it is to be deceived. My apologies, friends. And thanks for the correction, Jericho!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:19 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if whoever originated this didn't have a lawsuit on his hands. It's called slander I believe.

OK, I'll move this thread to the "I goofed" forum. :bag:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Since it's Mr. Osteen's profession, it could be called "Professional Slander" which carries pretty tough consequences, since it can affect livelihood. I guess the question is, will Mr. Osteen pursue it? :dunno:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:08 pm

What a horrible thing for someone to do. That is more malicious, than funny. :(
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Actually, now that I read that part in red above, that should have raised a red flag for me. So he announces his resignation on only one web page because he can't get to the others..... :roll:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby SueAnn on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:40 pm

I have always hated April Fool's Day. Too sensitive, I guess. I just don't like to see people humiliated, not even in "fun". This mean-spirited stunt that was pulled on Joel Osteen is a prime example of mean-spiritedness using April 1 as a license to hurt.
ﺗﻜﻮﻳﻦ 12
وَقَالَ الرَّبُّ لأَبْرَامَ: «اتْرُكْ أَرْضَكَ وَعَشِيرَتَكَ وَبَيْتَ أَبِيكَ وَاذْهَبْ إِلَى الأَرْضِ الَّتِي أُرِيكَ،
فَأَجْعَلَ مِنْكَ أُمَّةً كَبِيرَةً وَأُبَارِكَكَ وَأُعَظِّمَ اسْمَكَ، وَتَكُونَ بَرَكَةً (لِكَثِيرِينَ).
َأُبَارِكُ مُبَارِكِيكَ وَأَلْعَنُ لاعِنِيكَ، وَتَتَبَارَكُ فِيكَ جَمِيعُ أُمَمِ الأَرْضِ »
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby SueAnn on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 pm

After reading my message, I fear that Abiding might think that I was refering to her. Not so, sweet lady! I was refering to the creep that created that joke on Joel Osteen.

You don't have a mean-spirited bone in your body. You are a gentle and loving soul.
ﺗﻜﻮﻳﻦ 12
وَقَالَ الرَّبُّ لأَبْرَامَ: «اتْرُكْ أَرْضَكَ وَعَشِيرَتَكَ وَبَيْتَ أَبِيكَ وَاذْهَبْ إِلَى الأَرْضِ الَّتِي أُرِيكَ،
فَأَجْعَلَ مِنْكَ أُمَّةً كَبِيرَةً وَأُبَارِكَكَ وَأُعَظِّمَ اسْمَكَ، وَتَكُونَ بَرَكَةً (لِكَثِيرِينَ).
َأُبَارِكُ مُبَارِكِيكَ وَأَلْعَنُ لاعِنِيكَ، وَتَتَبَارَكُ فِيكَ جَمِيعُ أُمَمِ الأَرْضِ »
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Aww, thanks, SueAnn, but I didn't think you would post anything mean-spirited either so I didn't take it personally or think it was directed toward me. I was duped by a duper though. :mrgreen:

April Fool's Day never occurred to me.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jericho on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:08 pm

It's on my local news, so you weren't the only one fooled.

Houston's popular mega preacher, Joel Osteen, has become the victim of an elaborate Internet hoax.

Someone created a fake social media profile under the name Joel Osteen Ministries and announced he resigned, citing a lack of faith and that he was leaving Christianity.

The fake announcement also included made-up quotes that allegedly came from angry and upset members of his congregation.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Is-Joel-Osteen-leaving-Lakewood-Church/-/1735978/19668892/-/72s6g1z/-/index.html
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby slick on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:20 am

You were only partially fooled....Hes NEVER BEEN part of the CHRISTIAN FAITH!!! so you cant leave where youve never been!!! :lol:

THE BATTLE RAGES TIL THE LION SOON ROARS!! :armor:
GOD-BLESS,
Clarence
slick

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:34 am

Joel Osteen Turns the Other Cheek on Internet Hoax

Osteen spoke with ABC News overnight and said he found the entire hoax mildly amusing.

“You know, I’m really not angry. I don’t feel like a victim,” Osteen said. “I feel too blessed, that life is too short to let things like this get you down.”

link
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mersade on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Joel started the whole thing. Great publicity stunt.

Carrie
mersade
Supporting Member

Postby daffodyllady on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Aren't we supposed to WANT to believe the best about people... even the Joel Osteens of this world?

What makes us pounce with gleeful disdain on such "news"?
Of course, we would feel this to be an "I-told-you-so!" moment.
Would we gloat?

But is this the kind of attitude that wins people to the Lord?
Is this attitude the Spirit of Christ?
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby slick on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:17 am

daffodyllady wrote:Aren't we supposed to WANT to believe the best about people... even the Joel Osteens of this world?

What makes us pounce with gleeful disdain on such "news"?
Would we gloat?

But is this the kind of attitude that wins people to the Lord?
Is this attitude the Spirit of Christ?

NO, The Bible tells us to REMOVE and expose the wolves, and cast light into the darkness.....

2Cr 11:12-13 (NASB) — But what I am doing I will continue to do, so that I may cut off opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be *regarded just as we are in the matter about which they are boasting.For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.

GOD-BLESS,

THE BATTLE RAGES TIL THE LION SOON ROARS :armor
Clarence
slick

Postby mark s on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 am

These are different things.

Our defining characteristic is love, and love "believes all things, hopes all things". We want to see the best in people.

While at the same time, not permitting those who are false to present themselves as those who are true.

This is the core of our forum policy of not denigrating people personally, rather calling attention to their false teachings, if there is such.

In the case of Joel Osteen, short of actual evidence, we don't know whether he wanted this or not, or started this or not. We can disagree with his teaching, but we don't know his heart or his motives.

Love in Christ,
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Abiding in His Word on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:24 am

daffodyllady wrote:What makes us pounce with gleeful disdain on such "news"?
Would we gloat?

I can only speak for myself, but I posted this news not out of "gleeful disdain" but rather out of shock. That's why I posted it in the Signs forum because if it were true, it may be another sign of an end-time apostasy or falling away from the faith.

An "I-told-you-so" moment might not indicate a negative, arrogant gloating, but could bring comfort with confirmation of a suspected false teaching or heretical foundation. They are sometimes very hard to detect as they contain just enough truth to make them sound credible.

This is the case, imo, with Joel Osteen who has (I believe) a weekly attendance of some 49,000 at the church he pastors.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mersade on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I did NOT say he started this thing. I said I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Thinking outside the box is not a crime. I would like to remind some that not everything seen and heard is as it seems

Carrie
mersade
Supporting Member

Postby redeemed1953 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:47 pm

slick wrote:You were only partially fooled....Hes NEVER BEEN part of the CHRISTIAN FAITH!!! so you cant leave where youve never been!!! :lol:

GOD-BLESS,
Clarence

:armor:
You took the words out of my thoughts!
:a3:
I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Saviour...John Newton
redeemed1953

Postby redeemed1953 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:48 pm

redeemed1953 wrote:
slick wrote:You were only partially fooled....Hes NEVER BEEN part of the CHRISTIAN FAITH!!! so you cant leave where youve never been!!! :lol:

GOD-BLESS,
Clarence

:armor:
You took the words out of my thoughts!

Beside that, he is too smart to leave his cash cow behind.
:a3:
I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Saviour...John Newton
redeemed1953

Return to Apostasy Watch