Portugese FM Amado on EU beast and AoC

News about the EU and Mideast.

Portugese FM Amado on EU beast and AoC

Postby farmer on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:03 pm

two beasts: the first with a face can act and the second can play it's part...

"The visiting minister said Portugal would have liked to have seen many more chapters opened in Turkey’s negotiations during its EU presidency but explained: “We have to understand the complexity of the process and the internal balances of the EU we needed to assure so that the process can keep going on. Our major objective was to keep the process alive, and I think we succeeded in this.” Minister Amado recalled that with the addition of new members and new ideas emerging about Turkey’s place in the European Union, they had to maintain a balanced dynamic between different, conflicting interests in the Council of Ministers. “We couldn’t fall into panic with these new ideas and proposals that were disclosed several months before Portugal’s presidency and we managed not only to avoid that, but to also open two chapters in Brussels,” he said. He stressed that maintaining the delicate balance of the EU mechanism was necessary not only to keep the process alive, but also to assure that the EU continues to work. “I think we are a reliable ally for Turkey by means of our commitment to Turkey’s bid to become a member of the union in the future,” he added.

Commenting on the elements of these delicate balances in the EU, the Portuguese foreign minister recalled that Europe is facing a complicated challenge that forces it to find a way out of the current consensus-based decision-making mechanism. “I used to say that the European Union is a very strange animal in political terms; the way it moves, the way it adapts to new conditions, the way it relates with different partners from the world. … The EU is completely different from a state, a federal state or a confederation. This is a completely new political construction, and we need to learn how to deal with this strange animal. I believe that with respect to some of the problems regarding a common constitution and a common foreign policy we have to be patient,” he said. He added that waiting for the right moment to propose the decisions that need to be made by the EU is crucial.

Asked about the future of the EU’s current decision-making mechanism, Amado suggested that the new institutional apparatus provided by the Lisbon Treaty, which was approved during Portugal’s presidency, will both keep the principles of unanimity and consensus intact and help decisions be made easier. “I think that the new apparatus responds better to the challenges we face. The Lisbon Treaty will solve our problems with regard to the functioning of the council and the existence of a foreign minister that can act and supply a face to the European Union that it still lacks. So I believe that what we approved in the Treaty of Lisbon will give much more consistency to our foreign policy independent of the rule of unanimity,” he said. "

Asked about the future of the Alliance of Civilizations (AoC), in which Portugal is highly engaged due to the fact that former Portuguese President Jorge Sampaio is serving as the high representative of the program, Amado claimed that the initiative has already surpassed the expectations set for it at the beginning. “The number of states cooperating with the initiative fully has increased significantly. The fact that the United Nations endorsed the initiative is another sign of its success. This is no longer an initiative co-sponsored by Turkey and Spain. I believe that the initiative is doing its part and I think it is responding to one of the challenges that face us by means of avoiding a rupture between civilizations,” he said.
"

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detay ... &bolum=102
Questions about Europe and the European Union?
Don't hesitate to ask me here at FP: "Ask Björn (Farmer)"
http://fulfilledprophecy.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=52
farmer

Re: Portugese FM Amado on EU beast and AoC

Postby nonymouse on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:40 am

"supply a face to the European Union"

May not be so pleasant when it is revealed.
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Postby El Gallo on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:27 pm

Well, the other possibility is that the mice (Europe) keep debating how they will let the cat (Turkey) safely join them in their nest. It will never be safe Mr. Mice, and in fact the cat is getting less interested all the time in pretending to be harmless.
What I say to you I say to everyone: Watch MK 13:37
El Gallo

Postby shampoo on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 pm

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detay ... &bolum=102

Despite the importance he gives to Turkey’s active diplomacy, Amado does not share the view that Europe can be a global player only if Turkey becomes a member of the EU. Agreeing that EU’s role in the world will change dramatically according to whether Turkey is a member or a non-member ally, he said that Europe is already a major player and stabilizer in world politics. “I would say in a chaotic and multi-polar world Europe is already playing the role of a stabilizer,” he explained.

Good article, Farmer, and agree, Nony. I have read that Turkey isn't even close to being admitted into the EU...they have a long way to go to meet the EU "standards" of admission.....could be years away, if at all, anyway. Don't think we have that long, personally, before the AC is revealed and rules.
shampoo
Supporting Member

Postby farmer on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Don't forget, it was Solana who pressed Turkey into the EU-candidacy already in 1999 in his first conference as HR for CFSP, just arriving from his NATO-boss position.
Questions about Europe and the European Union?
Don't hesitate to ask me here at FP: "Ask Björn (Farmer)"
http://fulfilledprophecy.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=52
farmer

Postby nonymouse on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:26 am

farmer wrote:Don't forget, it was Solana who pressed Turkey into the EU-candidacy already in 1999 in his first conference as HR for CFSP, just arriving from his NATO-boss position.

Almost as if he was intent upon creating a cultural clash (perhaps in order to help birth the AoC, courtesy of his friends, Zapatero and Erdogan).
nonymouse
Supporting Member

Return to EU Beast/Mid-East Watch