Your opinion of the 3rd debate?

General discussion of candidates' campaign issues

Your opinion of the 3rd debate?

Postby daffodyllady on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Did you watch debate #3? If so, what was your opinion?

Here is a link to a transcript of the debate:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10 ... niversity/

I thought Romney's strategy was brilliant.
At this point in the race, the only votes he can gain from the debate, are the undecideds. Those people are not going to be convinced by any further negativity. The reason they are undecided is because they are not satisfied with Obama. They are not looking for someone to vote AGAINST. They are looking for someone to vote FOR.

And Romney delivered on that. He demonstrated that even when faced with a negative, scowling interrupter, he could keep his smile and his in-charge demeanor, politely shut him up, and keep going with his train of thought, completely unflappable. He was knowledgeable on the subjects, and showed he was not about to make regrettable reactionary foreign policy decisions. He really did look Presidential!

Obama tried over and over to pull Romney into a negative fight. But Romney rose above it every time, keeping his energetic, positive tone. How powerful that was, to a nation so TIRED of negative political ads!

I really do expect Romney to rise in the polls over the next two weeks, because of his performance tonight.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Re: Your opinion of the 3rd debate?

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:39 am

I watched the debate and, like you daffodyllady, thought Romney was brilliant. Since the focus was on foreign policy, he took the opportunity to chide Obama for his "apology tour," skipping Israel, and labeling America with some unflattering words like "arrogant" during this tour.

I think he did an excellent job of trying to hold Obama to the topic when he sidestepped it by attacking Romney instead.

One thing I do find annoying about Romney's answers is his constant referring to "coming together" as a solution to major disagreements.

Overall, I think Romney held his own without sarcasm and personal attacks and presented a calm, confident demeanor.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:06 am

I just heard something on Fox & Friends that reminded me to mention Obama's "death stare" throughout the debate. I thought it was very staged and over-the-top.

:eek:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby member x on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:12 am

I thought Romney was a brilliant with his strategy.

Foriegn Policy is a huge problem for Obama - but bigger is the fact that BO would try to pain Romney as a war monger and try to link him to GW.

Romney has beat BO in both debates where the economy was the main topic. He is clearly choosing to win on economy and not lose on foriegn policy.

He didn't allow BO to paint him as a war monger instead he agreed with him on several key points (taking the air out ofh is balloon) and letting BO look like a jerk.

He made his key points which needed made, but by appearing to have many of the same ideas, he essentially took this off the table to let the economy be the deciding factor in the election.

I pray it works!
member x
Supporting Member

Postby 4givenmuch on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:54 am

First, let me say I am grateful for this board! I tend to share how I feel about politics too much to the wrong folks - open mouth insert foot!

Honestly, I wish Romney would have talked about Libya and the lack of security, the fact that the ME doesn't have a western mindset and we can't act like they do, securing our on borders- BHO suing our own state- Arizona, the role of the UN, the Lockerbie bomber, the blind sheik, the Fort Hood massacre . . .

It seems like the candidates need to spend time in their campaigns explaining the problems and then how to solve them rather than just going after one another. Romney was brilliant in the first debate when he "taught" the President and the world how to make an economy grow. When they just assume folks know what is going on, I think the message gets lost. Last night I think folks didn't see Romney punch back (as he was being a statesman and sticking to the big picture) but they didn't get it. Same reason McCain didn't make it. It needs to be spelled out for Americans who vote, but don't really pay attention until election time.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Seek Humility!
4givenmuch
Supporting Member

Postby Jericho on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Honestly, I wish Romney would have talked about Libya and the lack of security, the fact that the ME doesn't have a western mindset and we can't act like they do, securing our on borders- BHO suing our own state- Arizona, the role of the UN, the Lockerbie bomber, the blind sheik, the Fort Hood massacre . . .

Charles Krauthammer made the statement that he would have pressed Obama on Libya too but Romney may not have done so because he didn't want to fall into a trap and be portrayed as a war monger, which makes sense too me. Obama certainly needs to be confronted on these issues, but if your objective is to win a debate I can see how you have to be careful what you say.

http://www.therightscoop.com/krauthammer-its-unequivocal-romney-won
Last edited by Jericho on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby AndCanItBe on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:55 pm

I kept wondering about Lybia too. So often in fact, I found myself waiting for it, thinking "Is he going to do it here?" "No, must be here." and it never came! Then, lightbulb moment, thought maybe the President was doing the same thing! It probably was partly about the war-mongering, but I wonder if a lot of it was just about keeping the President off balance, waiting for the blow that never came, the one he had probably rehearsed an answer to for hours. Romney did do a brilliant job in all three debates, IMO.
AndCanItBe

Postby Jericho on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Good observation AndCanItBe. I'm sure the president was expecting it and had a retort in advance. It must have threw him off a little when he didn't take the bait.
Last edited by Jericho on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby 4givenmuch on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:54 pm

Jericho, I think you are wise and correct. I am just a little too passionate from time to time! Hopefully taking the high road will pay off for Romney and the USA.
Seek Humility!
4givenmuch
Supporting Member

Postby aaron on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:40 am

I thought Romney looked presidential and refused to be drawn into a nasty debate. The President to me looked like a man that's on the ropes. Since President Obama began his run last time against Senator McCain, he has had nothing but success. I don't think he knows what to do now, and his anger and frustration were evident in his facial expressions and pot shots.

Governor Romney had a plan and like a game, he outcoached the other team and won, even if people think the President won from his one-liners.
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
-1 Timothy 6:12
aaron

Postby member x on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:53 am

I think Romney pulled a dope-a-rope on Obama with this debate. :grin:
member x
Supporting Member

Return to U.S. Presidential Election 2012