Pastor Says Christians Should 'Unhitch' From Old Testament

Latest prophecy related news.

Pastor Says Christians Should 'Unhitch' From Old Testament

Postby Jericho on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Stanley, who pastors the massive North Point Ministries congregation, has been on a crusade against the "Jewish Scriptures," as he calls them, for a while now. Early last year he made headlines when he urged Christians to "unhitch" themselves from the Old Testament. He declared that the first three or four dozen books of the Bible should not be a "go-to source regarding any behavior," explaining, inaccurately, that the early church "unhitched" itself from the "worldview" and "value system" of those ancient texts. He warned that those Christians who still strive to follow Old Testament moral law are standing on a "house of Old Testament cards" which comes crashing down in the face of resurrected Christ.

In various interviews, he has betrayed some embarrassment in the Old Testament and suggested that it should be "left out" of the apologetic argument. When confronted with the fact that Jesus quoted the Old Testament regularly, and certainly did not leave it out of the argument, Stanley pretends that Jesus may have meant something completely different when he spoke of Scripture. As Albert Mohler quotes him in the previous link:

... there was Scripture but every time we see the phrase "the Scripture" or "Scripture" in the New Testament, as you know we have to stop and ask the question, what was this particular group of people referring to because there was no "The Bible" and there was no book that contained all the Jewish Scripture because it was contained in synagogues and as you know virtually no one could read and write.

This week, he wrote an article criticizing Christians who erect monuments to the Ten Commandments. He implies that the Ten Commandments don't "actually appl[y]" to us. He goes further, announcing that Christians "are not required to obey any of the commandments found in the first part of their Bibles." He lumps moral edicts in with dietary regulations and animal sacrifice, concluding that all of it is now moot. They've been "replaced," he says repeatedly. Jesus issued only one commandment, according to Stanley, and that commandment "replaced" every law ever written before it.

In the latest article, he doesn't return to his "unhitch" phrasing. Instead, and possibly worse, he says that the church should "disengage" with the Old Testament. Stanley is desperate to find a word that essentially means "reject" but still affords him some plausible deniability when the heresy charges start flying. Perhaps next he'll try "extricate" or "disencumber."

More https://www.dailywire.com/news/42082/wa ... matt-walsh

My comment: Andy Stanley has been on a crusade against the Old Testament for some time now. It is said that the Old Testament is the New Testament concealed, and the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed. You can't have one without the other. It's one book, not two separate books. Your not going to fully understand the New Testament without the context of the old, because so much of it either quotes from or alludes to the Old Testament:

If clear allusions are taken into consideration, the figures are much higher: C. H. Toy lists 613 such instances, Wilhelm Dittmar goes as high as 1640, while Eugen Huehn indicates 4105 passages reminiscent of Old Testament Scripture. It can therefore be asserted, without exaggeration, that more than 10 per cent of the New Testament text is made up of citations or direct allusions to the Old Testament. The recorded words of Jesus disclose a similar percentage. Certain books like Revelation, Hebrews, Romans are well nigh saturated with Old Testament forms of language, allusions and quotations. Perusal of Nestle’s edition of the Greek New Testament, in which the Old Testament material is printed in bold face type, will reveal at a glance the extent of this practice. These facts appear even more impressive when one remembers that in New Testament times the Old Testament was not as today duplicated by the million but could be obtained only in expensive handwritten copies.

http://www.bible-researcher.com/nicole.html
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Re: Pastor Says Christians Should 'Unhitch' From Old Testament

Postby mark s on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:19 pm

And yet, so many people are so bound up in performance based living. "I'm not beloved/blessed/accepted/joyful/resting because I've been a bad boy."

And we definately need to get past that kind of thinking! As if there is some code of law, any code of law, that we have to adhere to, and that will govern our relationship with God! We are to trust Jesus, and love each other. And God loves us no matter what.

Much love!
mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby extravagantchristian on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:49 pm

mark s wrote:And yet, so many people are so bound up in performance based living. "I'm not beloved/blessed/accepted/joyful/resting because I've been a bad boy."

And we definately need to get past that kind of thinking! As if there is some code of law, any code of law, that we have to adhere to, and that will govern our relationship with God! We are to trust Jesus, and love each other. And God loves us no matter what.

Much love!
mark

God still operates the same way as he did before (in OT), He's still displeased when we sin, and we can still suffer His correction for a period of time. Some have even "fallen asleep". We just have to remember to add the blood of Jesus into the equation. We have to trust in his sacrifice to continue in faith.

I would say that the book of Psalms reveals God's heart in relationship to our failures, and is still very relevant today. We see the full range of emotions from God's anger, to His mercy , His punishment and also His restoration and faithfulness. "His anger is for a moment, but His favor is for life" It's the same consistent theme that we see ALL through the Bible, Old Testament and New.

The fact that a life can be destroyed by the anger of God, and then raised up again like NEW is the perfect picture of His Grace. We also see that picture all through the Old Testement, the cycle of sin, punishment and resurrection to new life. First Temple destroyed, Second Temple raised. That is how we see God's faithfulness! And we will see it again in the future. You can't unhitch from that.

Hosea 13:9 “O Israel, you are destroyed, But your help is from Me.

1 Corinthians 10
Old Testament Examples

10 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. 5 But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.

6 Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. 7 And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” 8 Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; 9 nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; 10 nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11 Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Hebrews 12:12
“My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,
Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens,
And scourges every son whom He receives.”

7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?

Some people need encouragement that God forgives them and accepts them, because they go around self condemned everyday thinking that God can't love them, while others need a big slap of fear to get them on the narrow road. These are the ones who take advantage of His grace or make excuses for sin.

Jude 21-23
21 keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22 And on some have compassion, making a distinction; 23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.
Last edited by extravagantchristian on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Matthew 1:22
So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophets
extravagantchristian

Postby mark s on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:08 pm

I would say that there is no break in relationship for those who have been born again, regardless of circumstances or behavior. I think the OT was fundamentally different in this way.

Much love!
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Return to What you think (About news)