...the dangers of ‘Treasure-Hunting’ evangelism? - Holly

Latest prophecy related news.

...the dangers of ‘Treasure-Hunting’ evangelism? - Holly

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:47 am

What are the dangers of ‘Treasure-Hunting’ evangelism?

Treasure Hunting is a new type of evangelistic outreach that has been popularized by Bethel Church in Redding, California, and has been picked up by many well-known evangelistic groups such as YWAM. It’s also sometimes referred to as “prophetic evangelism” or “supernatural evangelism.” Yet despite its popularity, this practice of Treasure Hunting is one that ought to be avoided by Christians because of its many inherent problems and dangers.

Before I talk about some of the problems with Treasure Hunting, I want to fill you in on how it works. This is what might typically happen: a team of three or four people will choose a place to conduct their hunt, such as a park or grocery store. Then, before the Treasure Hunt, team members ask God to give them prophetic “words of knowledge” — called “clues”— about specific people they will find at that location. The clues they seek include a person’s name, descriptions of that person’s appearance, and any ailments (such as recurring headaches or a bad knee). Team members mark these clues on a treasure map, which they then use to guide them to a person — called a “treasure” — who matches their clues.

For example, in his book called The Ultimate Treasure Hunt: A Guide to Supernatural Evangelism through Supernatural Encounters, Kevin Dedmon – who was on the leadership team at Bethel Redding – recounts a treasure hunt. During one hunt conducted in a Wal-Mart, the clues included “Starbucks coffee,” “hurt right arm,” and “frozen foods.” The treasure hunters located a woman buying Starbucks coffee-flavored ice cream in the frozen food section. When they approached the woman and told her about their activity, she looked at their list of other clues and revealed that she had an injured right arm. She allowed the team members to pray for her and, according to their reports, her arm was immediately healed.

This account, if accurate, sounds great: a woman was found and prayed for, and then healed. It seems all good, so someone might ask, “What’s wrong with Treasure Hunting?”

Lots, unfortunately. Here are several problems with this novel practice.

continues at the Spirit of Error
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: ...the dangers of ‘Treasure-Hunting’ evangelism? - Holly

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:24 am

From where I sit, this is sorcery.....and making their god perform for them to get them to perform for him....which is not at all how the God of the Bible works. If these people knew the bible, they would know that the God of the bible says to stay away from this sort of thing, so why would He want them doing this to supposedly bring lost souls to Him? That, and what does it say to the many faithful who haven't gotten that supposed supernatural miracle just to be enticed to "accept" Christ's gift of salvation (as if it werent good enough without the supernatural healing or other magic feat being performed?)

This is not what we were told to do when we were told to witness Christ to the lost. Why doesnt mankind accept his way is not Gods and settle in to his place and do as he was asked to do? This is mans idea of what he wants his god to do, not God's.......
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Jericho on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:40 am

Just when I think I heard of everything. We should always defer to the Bible, and if there is no precedent for it happening in scriptures then it should be avoided.
Last edited by Jericho on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby mark s on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:58 am

Hubris.

:eek:
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:45 am

Isn't the goal of "evangelism" sharing the gospel so that people can come to a saving knowledge of Christ?

It doesn't sound like that is happening with this "treasure hunting" method. Instead the goal appears to be to take part in some sort of supernatural experience. Which in my mind is very dangerous. Satan and his demons are cunning adversaries, appearing as light to those in darkness. This may seem like a "godly" practice, but I can see how our adversary would use this to deceive those who participate in it. Like a drug- supernatural encounters can make someone feel "high" and soon they may find that they cannot spiritually function without this "high", becoming addicted in a way. It is a subtle means to draw well meaning godly people away from sharing the true gospel into peddling what I call "feel goodism" or a social gospel.

There is no need to orchestrate a supernatural encounter, instead just be a light wherever you go and God will lead you to those He would have you be a witness to. I think it's fine to pray for those divine appointments, to ask God to put people in our path who are open to the gospel, and are seeking answers, for opportunities to share the gospel. But this doesn't sound like what is going on at all. It sounds like a false gospel, and divination to bring people together under contrived and possibly deceptive means.

RT
Resurrection Torchlight

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:33 pm

It is a shame that some adults in the USA require entertainment to keep them focused on a subject. There is no need for anything but truth and facts to establish a solid understanding on the tenants of salvation.

I remember, as a child, going to church every Sunday. I remember my parents smacking the daylights out of me if I chose to fumble about the pew boxes, mess with the visitor cards or heaven forbid, be so bold as to get up from the seated position. These days, it's the adults who aren't able to sit through a service without feeling the need to lose civility and reverence by checking their phones, fidgeting with things or each other and get up and down about their seats, interrupting everyone around them.

Can we not control ourselves anymore?
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:12 pm

We (some) seem to have become comfortable with entertainment and are convinced it's worship. Many churches have slowly incorporated methods used in secular concerts to imitate an atmosphere that's become popular; i.e. a celebrity, hip pastor; fog machines; worship teams that entertain rather than lead the congregation in worship; enormous screens; and flashing lights, etc.

Evidently the "Treasure-Hunt" has been promoted under the concept that evangelizing can be fun at the same time it's (hopefully) being productive in saving souls for Jesus.
:tinhat:

ETA: There are some very interesting and diverse opinions posted at Holly's web site in the comment section. :wink:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mark s on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am

That was a very interesting discussion to read!

I'm coming more and more to realize that what is explicit in Scripture is quite enough for a lifetime of work.

Much love!
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Return to What you think (About news)