The snake

Discussion related to children, marriage and family issues.

The snake

Postby soonverysoon on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 am

Because of the heat and the cost of the cooling my upstairs the girls and I have been sleeping in one room. Two of them have roll away beds and Katie my youngest has a army cot that is close to the floor. And my husband who says he does not need air conditioner sleeps in the next room. Anyway we have to do this every summer. It is a pain and one of the reason we have been house hunting. Well anyway last night we are getting ready for bed and I smell this ordor that has been in our room for several days. I have been trying to figure out what it is and because four of our dogs also come in to sleep with us and stay cool I was thinking that one of them had done something...you know on the floor. But for the life of me I can't find it. So using my mighty sniffer I locate where I think the smell is coming from. By this time I am afraid it is a dead mouse. Well I tell my daughter Diana to look behind this box and see. Not me because I am afraid of mice, dead or alive. So she is standing on her bed with a flash light shining it behind the box when she jumps and said she saw eyes. Well Julie her older sister had to see so she is looking with the light and says it is a crawdad. I am like no way must be a mouse. So then I am standing on the bed {no way I am going to get on the floor if there is a mouse} and I tell Julie "Ok I will shine the light and you pull back the box." So she does... It was a snake! All four of us are running into my husbands bedroom screaming to the top of our lungs SNAKE! Well he had taken a sleeping pill and was in a dead sleep and just about jumped out of his skin. He got caught in his sheet and tangle up first turning one way then the other ending up backwards on his hands and knees going "what, what." Looking all around trying to wake up enough just to get out of the sheets. We are still screaming and of course the four dogs are right behind us barking their heads off. Finely he is awake enough to wobble into our room to look for the snake. As me and the girls stay way back and I grab my little dog holding her for dear life. I am telling him it was a big snake and he is saying we are seeing things and there is no snake and acting like I am just a dumb female. When he finely sees the darn thing behind the dresser. Now all this time Katie my youngest is still screaming and crying in the hall. And the dog I am holding does not know why but figures she should be scared and starts to shake and try and climb up on my shoulders. So in the middle of telling us it is just a little harmless snake my husband moves the dresser and screams, " oh sh....&&(^*&^%$ it is a big one, get me some gloves." This starts us all off again and Katie increases her crying and the dog tries to climb higher. While the other dogs are running into the room to see what is going on and Diana my brave one is up on the bed trying to see. And I am screaming put your shoes on before it bites your toes. At which point we all run for shoes. In the mean time Justin has a curtian rod and his trying to hold the snake down and grab its tail, screaming like a girl when it try to bite him. Then he is telling us to get the dogs back in case it is poisonous and Katie screams, "I thought he said it was harmless!" And I am screaming get the dogs out! When about that time Diana says it bite daddy and I am ready to call 911. Then Julie said no he is ok. And I hear Justin scream oh **&&(&&^* it got away. Which has me running into the next room with my dog thight in my hands screaming for the girls to grab the other dogs and run. But then I heard no he has it caught with the curtain rod but it is trying to bite him. Then Julie gets the ideal to try and catch it into a box. So she grabs one dumps it out and gives it to her dad. After quite a battle and a lot of girly screams he gets the thing in the box and takes it outside to let it go. Which now has me screaming, are you crazy what if it comes back in? So he takes it across the street and I just notice he is in his underware. Thank goodness it was dark. Anyway Katie stop crying looks at me and said, "I thought you said it was a big snake. That was not a big snake." Needless to say everyone move out of my room.
soonverysoon

Re: The snake

Postby Loop on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:26 am

LOL! , I hate that you had a snake in the house, but still funny.
My hubby who has been bit several times, said if you didn't kill it , it will probably come back, he said they have a hunting routine and they will usually come back to where they have been before. If you see it again , make sure you kill it.
He said if it is a blacksnake you don't have to worry they aren't poiseness, and they will kill mice.
My hubby will catch them and bring them home, he puts them in the barn, better mouse catchers then cats.. :wink:
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop

Postby 4givenmuch on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:31 am

Glad it is over. I have a rattlesnake story and reading your story reminded me so of why I moved! Blessings!
Seek Humility!
4givenmuch
Supporting Member

Postby soonverysoon on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:39 am

Loop wrote:LOL! , I hate that you had a snake in the house, but still funny.
My hubby who has been bit several times, said if you didn't kill it , it will probably come back, he said they have a hunting routine and they will usually come back to where they have been before. If you see it again , make sure you kill it.
He said if it is a blacksnake you don't have to worry they aren't poiseness, and they will kill mice.
My hubby will catch them and bring them home, he puts them in the barn, better mouse catchers then cats.. :wink:

Oh ****! I am never sleeping in there again. And the snake was black and gray.
soonverysoon

Postby Loop on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:48 am

My husband said a housesnake is bl/gr or a black snake when they are shedding are bl/gr neither are poiseness, usually they don't smell unless they are made mad, maybe the presence of the dogs upset it..
What shape was the head? A triangular shaped head is usually poiseness or a blunt tail, "by blunt" I mean the end of its tail would be round like the end of you finger not like a sharp skinny point.
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop

Postby burien1 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:00 am

:shock:

:southernbelle: :southernbelle: :southernbelle: :southernbelle: :southernbelle: :southernbelle: :southernbelle:

:hugs:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby soonverysoon on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:09 pm

Loop wrote:My husband said a housesnake is bl/gr or a black snake when they are shedding are bl/gr neither are poiseness, usually they don't smell unless they are made mad, maybe the presence of the dogs upset it..
What shape was the head? A triangular shaped head is usually poiseness or a blunt tail, "by blunt" I mean the end of its tail would be round like the end of you finger not like a sharp skinny point.

Well it was gray with black lines. It had did have a triangular head and I am not sure about the tail. It was strong to it bent the curtain rob all up. The one my husband was trying to hold it with. We also just found a huge mouse nest behind a book self. So that must of been why it was in here. But to think my little girl was so close to being on the floor on that army cot and that I get up every night to run to the bathroom and could have stepped on it. :eek: One thing is for sure we have taken the whole room apart looking behind everything and cleaning like mad men, I mean women. hehe
soonverysoon

Postby Loop on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:08 pm

You may want to drop a few moth balls outside, around the house , it will help keep snakes away, I guess they don't like the smell LOL! Look for holes a snake could come in and make sure to stop them up...
I'm not so fond of snakes either LOL! :boink:
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:01 am

Snake in the house......oh, this is one of creepiest scenerios I can think of. Ever since the days of those videos on youtube showing snakes coming up through the plumbing, I am forever checking all toilets before sitting down....I almost think I would rather wrestle a medium sized gator than deal with a snake.....they just make my skin crawl!
I am likewise not interested in dealing with bugs of any kind whatsoever. I've been this way since I was little. My husband laughs, but deals with all small creatures of every variety....I will keep him around forever!!!

Glad you made it through this ordeal. How much longer till they do their slow down or hybernate? Oh, I hope its soon!!!
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Loop on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 am

GodsStudent
I am forever checking all toilets before sitting down....

LOL! I take it you've never had an outside toilet ?
My greatest fear was spider's then. I've actually found snakes in the outside toilet we had LOL!...
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:28 am

Loop wrote:
GodsStudent
I am forever checking all toilets before sitting down....

LOL! I take it you've never had an outside toilet ?
My greatest fear was spider's then. I've actually found snakes in the outside toilet we had LOL!...

OK, you have just seriously put a dent in my "bug out plan." LOL, Im kidding as I don't have a bug out plan, but more like a trust in the Lord only sort of plan....but still.....if the Lord sends me outside in the woods, just thinking out loud here....what am I going to do? If I found a snake in my toilet, it would be grounds for moving. :scared
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Spreading Salt on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am

I do not mix well with snakes. SVS, I am still laughing from your story, although it could have been much worse (stepping on it in the dark)! I would now be digging a 10ft deep/wide trench around my entire house and filling it with hot lava so that no snakes could ever slither into my house. I would also have made my hubby kill the thing, just because Noah should have never let them get onto the ark! hehe! Snakes - no! Story - priceless! Thanks for the giggles today! :a2:
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby Salty Skipper on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:02 pm

We found a drowned squirrel in our toilet last winter. Does that count? Also, we've been fighting mice like crazy. Nasty little jokers!
Salty Skipper

Postby laney on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Soonverysoon, thanks for sharing your story. I know it wasn't funny but the way you told it made me have a great laugh. :lol:
"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be [people] of courage; be strong." (1 Cor. 16:13
laney

Postby bchandler on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Comparatively speaking, the US has very few varieties of poisonous snake. It really isn't that hard to familiarize yourself with the ones you need to be worried about.

The rest are harmless, and great rodent catchers. The wouldn't be there if there was not a food supply, and they are a lot cheaper than an exterminator.

They tend to find a place to hide and digest after a big meal, and when they are digesting, they tend to kind of stink.

I used to live in Butte County, Oroville California. The largest rattle snake ever caught in California was caught in that county, on the very hill I used to live on. When we first moved in up there (I was 11) there were rattlers all over the place. We caught and killed a bunch... ate em... they are yummy.

The major venemous snakes I know about are:

The pacific rattler (Is neurotoxic, and green in hue.)

The eastern/western diamond back (necrotoxic, and has desert colors) (They are now cross breeding with the pacific variety)

The sidewinder (of course all but the baby rattlers are pretty good about warning away things that frighten them or might step on them.)

The cotton mouth (mostly on the east coast i think)

The copper head (mostly on the east coast i think)

The coral snake (pacific region i think)

All but the coral snake are pit vipers. They have heads that are triangular (much wider at the back) with a rather blunted nose. The reason the heads are so much wider is because their skulls house the venom glands, and venom excreting muscles. The reason the nose is kind of blunt is because they are front fanged. The fold-away fangs tend to be in the area where canines are found in humans, and the muscles that control them and the large size of these fangs causes a squarer shape to the nose. Their pupils are slitted like a cats, and they have a pit between the eye and nose that houses the organs that "see" in infrared, which allow them to hunt their prey in total darkness.

The coral snake is a relation to the cobra, is neurotixic, and i believe it is rear fanged. It has brightly colored stripes that band its entire body, and looks much like another very harmless snake. There is a poem that tells you if you are dealing with the poisonous coral. It goes, "Red touches black is a friend of Jack, Red touches yellow can kill a fellow."

Here is a link with some info. http://www.backyardnature.net/snakvenm.htm

If it isn't a pit viper or a coral snake, it is harmless. Even the poisonous ones perform valuable services. Including the larger exotic escapees that help to control the stray cat/dog population... lol.
I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.
bchandler

Postby Loop on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:52 am

Oooo, and just think my hubby used to keep , Copperheads and Rattler's, and take care of them for Church! YUK!
Glad he started searching the bible and learned the truth before he met me LOL! :wink:
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby burien1 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 am

Loop wrote:Oooo, and just think my hubby used to keep , Copperheads and Rattler's, and take care of them for Church! YUK!
Glad he started searching the bible and learned the truth before he met me LOL! :wink:

:shock: :a3: LOL !
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:11 pm

The cottonmouths are ferocious! They drop into the boats out of trees and will come after you on land, too. They are not intimidated, they are intimidators! They are all over the south! We recently bought a tract of land with a home on it and when we went out there, we saw several of these snakes out there. Then, we rented the property, and the tenants would take pictures of these huge cottonmouths basking in the sun on the driveway and in the back yard. Over the winter I had all of the underbrush and smaller trees cut back about 20 feet from the present yard. They haven't been seen this summer, but literally, I will not go out there over the summer months. These snake are treacherous to me! The cottonmouths usually grow to about 4-5 feet. The ones on this property are as big as they get. I thought about calling the zoo a few times so that they could come and get some huge specimens, as our property had snakes way bigger than the ones at the zoo!!! LOL. Hubby got out of the car 2 summers ago out there and a 12 ft. king snake (these snakes eat poisonous snakes) crossed in front of his car and went right by him. My husband froze until it passed (there is not much more painful, though not dangerous, than getting bitten by a king snake, and a 12 foot one....oh, no!).
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby extravagantchristian on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:29 pm

:lol: that was hilarious.
extravagantchristian

Return to Family Room