Moderate Mental illness in child

Discussion related to children, marriage and family issues.

Moderate Mental illness in child

Postby Adamantine on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:17 am

I would like to make some recomendations that may help someone.

If the day comes that a child of yours has a depression diagnosis then
accept some degree of counseling and medication but I highly recomend a family oriented approach if possible.
Unfortunately too many teenagers with these problems are from fractured homes altready and so maybe a family approach becomes impossible or of less help. One parent needs to become the fultime caregiver.
Be careful in finding a Christian Pyshchiatrist as it is my opinion those are very rare. They often attend a Christian church but questioning values will soon show they usually do not hold to basic Christianity 101.

1) If possible one parent becomes the caregiver accompanying the child in everything. I am assuming this parent is not a troubled parent. They should read uplifting things.play uplifting music and guide as possible at that moment the child into activities which are safe. Attempt not to share your problem or the childs diagnosis with others. In prayer outside of the family ask for prayer in a general way such that others will not know the specifics of the issue. You want your child to be able to reenter society later unshackled by the past.
2) Use behavioral approaches with special lighting if seasonal affective dosorder is a part of the problem. Get the home clean and organized but accept mess as it helps to do life.
3) Begin a regular energetic disciplined exercise program at home and if possible as soon as possible out in society. Endorphins are good and many a study puts this up as high as even some antidepreesants in effectivness
4) Fish oil is OTC and part of a regimine used depression and evenn in bipolar disorder.
4a) Get on a regular schedule. That should have been part of life anyway but it is very helpful for the bipolar diagnosis.
5) Find the best and most loving social groups for your child to be part of. Do not tell the leader unless it is truly necessary that your child is struggling. If the need arise you can later share it and of course the leader will protest that all problems could have been avoided had you just been open and shared. Unlikely, you will have lableled your child who will be treated differently. The goal is heal and do it with as little declarationof the problem as possible. The child will still rember it ia bid deal later but your job is to heal with as little collaterla damage as possible.
6) Home school. You will be able to advance the knowledge base and the child will not have to be under time demands and comparisons of success which are not helpful for the time being.
7) If the child has declared suicidal intentions carefully evaluate your abultiy to protect and secure the child's world. A hospital may be safer but it comes with the high cost of placement with mostly nonchristian health care workers who for the most part a a bit hardened. The hospital is usually just a safe holding tank while medications are begun and adjusted.A good parent can monitor that just as well as a worker at the hospital. Most pyschiatrists are not founts of great freudian wisdom for giving guidance as to adjustment of life. A rare one might be but they are now simply the medical specualists who choose to care for these illensses. They become more attuned to medications and side effects etc. but they do not have some arcane behavioral lnowledge to applied to your child.
8) Plan short vacations away so that family may get a break in routine.
9) When the child is reintroduced to school have them take an easier schedule than they might have done before. In time they will work back to previous levels. The year of home schooling will allow you to pass the child along and keep them up with classmates. So what if they are actually a little less acheived than they might have been. You do not wish to have the school even know an event occurred. While home schooling if possible keep the child connected to a varsity sport. Tell your child that his/her problems are best unshared with classmates. let others think the homeschooling is you idea for other reasons
10) Pray and fast
11) The guiding principle behind what I have tried to show here is that most of what has been turned over to the health profession is better handled by the family if possible. Second principle keep the problem to as few as those who need to know. You whan your child to minimize these issues later in life and you want others to have never known.
12) Keep pushing to come off medications earlier rather than later. They do help but getting your child to pray with you is of equal value. They need to be guided to Jesus in this sensitive time. Gently search for sins the child may have acquired that may be uppsetting the pyschologicla balance. Let them confess at there time and choosing to God alone if that is there desire. Nevertheless, premarital sex, drugs, homosexuality, alcohol, smoking, gluttony all imbalance the life. Address each issue as necesary.
God bless.
I am in afield of work where i have become to believe this is the better way.
No speaking disrespectfully, or with contempt, about the President, his Office, or the United States government. We are to respect the authority God places over us. It's OK to disagree. Just do it with respect.

Those who look to liberty to provide anything other than liberty itself are destined to live in slavery.

Men must obtain Truth from the Word of God
Adamantine

Re: Moderate Mental illness in child

Postby Lightseeker on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:52 am

Adamantine,

I think that is excellent advice. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Many blessings...
Lightseeker

Postby joyfulchild on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:10 pm

YES AGREE HERE-THANKS ALOT.

MY CHILD IS GOING THRU THIS NOW AND WE ARE HEALING SLOWLY. EVERYTHING YOU SAID I AGREE WITH. THANKFULLY WE HAVE A GOOD THOUGH NON CHRISTIAN COUNSELLOR. SHE RESPECTS OUR FAITH SO I ATTEND TOO AND THERES NOTHING NEW AGE GOING ON.

THIS IS VERY TOUGH!

THANKS AGAIN
MEL
joyfulchild

Postby Adamantine on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Just read my comments and except for the typos I would not change much.
A few studies show that self esteem is damaged when a person has to have treatment for mental illness and they then carry an additional problem which is increased lack of self esteem. Treatment is sometimes an absolute necessity but I argue for not telling schools, camps and churches unless absolutely and definately necessary. People will accept the child who was a juvenile deliquent and recovered better than the child who has recovered from a mental illness. Be aware also that the military and professional (medical, dental, etc) schools take action to keep out those with a history of mental illness. They will in some cases deny it but there is such a bias in my opinion.
The more severe diseases such as schizophrenia are certainly excluded. Some of these people must be excluded but you would not want it to be your daughter if she had been healed. These are diseases that society will carry a bias against for all of the childs future. They will act as though one may never be healed. The secret service will certainly never accept someone with any past mental illness. There are many such professions as you start looking at it. For these reasons I suggest getting needed treatment but do not be in a hurry to push into things maybe not needed if it is making a record that will later be used against your child.
I suggest being careful because in Christ we know all things are possible even healing in such diseases.
No speaking disrespectfully, or with contempt, about the President, his Office, or the United States government. We are to respect the authority God places over us. It's OK to disagree. Just do it with respect.

Those who look to liberty to provide anything other than liberty itself are destined to live in slavery.

Men must obtain Truth from the Word of God
Adamantine

Postby joyfulchild on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:05 am

Thanks alot sis for taking the time. Her improvement I base on the large amnt of prayer that was also occuring for her at the time-praise God!
joyfulchild

Return to Family Room