Married in College

Discussion related to children, marriage and family issues.

Married in College

Postby 4Jesus4ever on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:16 pm

I want to get some advices and glean some wisdom from you wise sages!

I'm going to be getting married and my future husband and I both are currently college students and we wonder if it's possible that we both stay full time in college.

He's concerned about us being able to be full time students, which includes all that workload we will get, and how to be able to be there for each other.

Am I being clear on what I mean here?

Please, please, please help! I want to glean as much wisdom as I can!
Don't ever let life pass you by...
4Jesus4ever

Re: Married in College

Postby aaron on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:12 pm

My wife and I got engaged when we were in college. We both felt that we were supposed to be married. After a few months, I had a strong conviction that we needed to wait until we both cleared things up with our parents and dealt with baggage from the past. I'm glad that we waited and were obedient. Had we been married and dealing with things, it would not have been easy. Not that life is easy anyway. :mrgreen:

We have some friends that are sophomores in college and just got married. They got off to a rocky start, but after some trials and tribulations they are hanging in there.

It is better to marry than the burn with passion, the Bible says. I always recommend dating/courting for two years so that you get to see the other in the best and worst of settings. Let's face it, most people get married and don't have much, but if you have sacrificial love for one another and Jesus is the center of your life and your marriage, you can weather any storm life throws at you.

The Lord will give you great peace about being married, and both will be in agreement, and also the provision and place to live will be available, as God always provides for where He guides.

If God asks you to wait a year or two, it will also come with the peace of knowing your obedience to Him in this matter. I also believe in pre-marital counseling with your pastor and also with some other couples who have been married for a while, to get advice. Also, a young adult couples Christian group would be nice, some churches have a young couples group where people share their struggles and blessings of marriage, that could also help you in making your decision.

Blessings on your relationship and your walk with Him! I'll also pray for you, that His will be made clear for you. Take care.
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
-1 Timothy 6:12
aaron

Postby 4Jesus4ever on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks so much for your response.

We both know that the Lord has put us together, and we want to go ahead with it.
aaron wrote:My wife and I got engaged when we were in college. We both felt that we were supposed to be married. After a few months, I had a strong conviction that we needed to wait until we both cleared things up with our parents and dealt with baggage from the past. I'm glad that we waited and were obedient. Had we been married and dealing with things, it would not have been easy. Not that life is easy anyway. :mrgreen:

We have some friends that are sophomores in college and just got married. They got off to a rocky start, but after some trials and tribulations they are hanging in there.

It is better to marry than the burn with passion, the Bible says. I always recommend dating/courting for two years so that you get to see the other in the best and worst of settings. Let's face it, most people get married and don't have much, but if you have sacrificial love for one another and Jesus is the center of your life and your marriage, you can weather any storm life throws at you.

The Lord will give you great peace about being married, and both will be in agreement, and also the provision and place to live will be available, as God always provides for where He guides.

If God asks you to wait a year or two, it will also come with the peace of knowing your obedience to Him in this matter. I also believe in pre-marital counseling with your pastor and also with some other couples who have been married for a while, to get advice. Also, a young adult couples Christian group would be nice, some churches have a young couples group where people share their struggles and blessings of marriage, that could also help you in making your decision.

Blessings on your relationship and your walk with Him! I'll also pray for you, that His will be made clear for you. Take care.

My husband to be and I definitely don't want to wait a year or 2. We both do have peace with getting married soon.

He will be a junior and I will be a sophomore in college. We both are very aware that being married in college can be difficult but successful if we both commit to work through it.

We've been courting for almost 6 months now, but we've known each other for 2 years prior our courtship, and during the courtship, we've learned a lot more about each other, and we've seen each others best and worst, although we know we will learn of more that will only come up during the marriage. Before and throughout our courtship, we've put Jesus in center of our lives and in the center of our relationship. It truly is a blessing, we learn how the Lord works in our life and guides our relationship.
I know some people says that we move quite quickly, but we KNOW that the Lord has put us together and we can see ourselves being with each other for the rest of our lives.

I don't know about some people, but I have this quote, "If you see something good, and opportunity presents itself, grab it!" I guess I apply it to this. I gave everything to Jesus, knowing that He will do what He KNOWS to be best for us.

We're getting pre-martial counseling and we will be setting our date soon, we've been discussing and finding when not to set our wedding date. It's exciting but so mind-scattering at times, haha!

About finding married Christians at college, that will definitely help! I guess I should start looking into that, and if there's not a group, I could seek out other couples and see if we could start up a group. Sounds like fun!

Again, many thanks for your response.

Blessings,
4Jesus4ever
Don't ever let life pass you by...
4Jesus4ever

Postby Salty Skipper on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:39 pm

It is entirely possible to be married, work, and finish school. The most important thing is to do whatever the Lord is leading you to do and to honor parents also. I have known quite a few people to get married while in school. I have known just as many to wait until afterwards to tie the knot. As the Lord leads! And congratulations! :grin:
Salty Skipper

Postby BeTheMoon on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:54 am

Salty Skipper wrote:It is entirely possible to be married, work, and finish school. The most important thing is to do whatever the Lord is leading you to do and to honor parents also. I have known quite a few people to get married while in school. I have known just as many to wait until afterwards to tie the knot. As the Lord leads! And congratulations! :grin:

Ditto! Congrats!

:praying:
BeTheMoon
SITE ADMIN

Return to Family Room