Traditions

Discussion related to children, marriage and family issues.

Traditions

Postby est92305 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:42 am

I don't know about you all, but, the fall and winter months are my favorite of the entire year. What are your favorite traditions you and your family do during these months?
"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and My servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed and there will be none after me."
Isaiah 43:10
est92305

Re: Traditions

Postby burien1 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:17 am

Break out the flannel sheets! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Rake leaves. Rake leaves. Rake more leaves. :cry:

Seriously, I live in the woods, and it is so incredibly beautiful. If I even glance out a window, I`m reminded how awesome an artist my creator is. I plant more mums at this time every year. The deer leave them alone, at least. I get my property and home ready for winter. I launder all my winter clothing and have it ready. I put away all the summer things like coolers, beach towels, clothing, etc.. When they put out a frost warning, I bring in all my house plants. My traditions are very mundane, but necessary. I use to take long drives to see all the fall foliage every year, but I see it every time I go out my driveway, now. From right now, all the way through November, I`m raking leaves, and leaves, and more leaves. [ Every rose has it`s thorn.] :lol:

YSIC
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby proparent on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:28 pm

We live in the woods also, but I do less raking now than when we lived in the cities! Just a little around the house where it piles up a bit, but the rest we just leave on the ground. In the cities we had several large trees and raking was hard work! Here we just push the few piles we deal with off into the woods. The only other things we do is enjoy the beautiful colors, have a bonfire or 2 now that the bugs are gone, and we're trying to find someone to install our wood cooking stove before it gets too cold. Yes, this is my favorite time of the year too. :grin:

Love, in Christ,
Lisa
proparent
Supporting Member

Postby est92305 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:54 pm

Well, I am saying a special prayer of thanks that my days of raking leaves have not continued into my adult life yet, lol. We just have a young red maple growing in our front yard. I also love to go for walks or drive (if it's freezing out) and breathe in the beauty. It's the most gorgeous time of year, in my opinion. :) I love going to the pumpkin patches and farms with my kids to get pumpkins and picking fruit. I love decorating my house for fall (not halloween, ick). It's so hard to resist all the cute pumpkin and leaf decorations in Target! Christmas time absolutely warms my heart, too. We have a lot of snowmen we decorate with. Lots of baking, Christmas music... and of course going out in the freezing cold to pick a tree and cut it. Then we come home and have hot chocolate and decorate it. There are so many other wonderful things we do, especially for Christmas time. It's all so fun. Every year we try to make sure we are keeping it all Christ centered. It's so easy to get caught up in all the other unimportant things. I want to start doing more with our kids to give back to the community now that they are getting a little older and can help (older as in, they both can walk and follow instructions now LOL).

Thanks for sharing with me!
"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and My servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed and there will be none after me."
Isaiah 43:10
est92305

Postby Wayfarer on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:20 pm

This is by far my favorite time of the year! I love the "Fall feeling", the weather, and the traditions.

We have a "Thank You Jesus" box that we get out at this time of year. It's just a shoe box with a slit cut in the top, decorated by my daughter. She and my son cut up squares of construction paper which lie near at hand. Everyday, we each write about something we're thankful for--a few words or a few sentences--on a square of the paper, then slip it into the box. On Thanksgiving, we read them all aloud. We have saved the squares from years past, and sometimes we read them as well. It's one of our favorite traditions!
"And Lord haste the day when my faith shall be sight and the clouds be rolled back as a scroll. The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend. Even so, it is well with my soul."
Wayfarer

Return to Family Room