Of or To Power ??

General discussion of candidates' campaign issues

Of or To Power ??

Postby jgilberAZ on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:17 am

I can't figure this one out ...

I've been an adult for eight presidential elections (I turned 18 in Sept 1980). As far as I can recall, the transition from the former president to the new president has always been called "the transition of power."

Yet, all this week, CNN is using the banner "Transition to Power."

What does that mean? Transition TO power.

It must mean something, since it's a departure from the norm. But, I just can't figure out why CNN would refer to the Bush->Obama transition of power as the Bush->Obama transition TO power.

I find it very odd, whatever it means.

PS: I only watch CNN (Communist News Network) at work. I don't even get that channel at home. And, I hardly watch it at work ... it's just "on" in the background on the TV on the wall. Watching CNN regularly will turn your brain to mush, IMHO.
2 Timothy 2:24a..And the servant of the Lord must not strive ...
The meaning is, that the servant of Christ should be a man of peace. He should not indulge in the feelings which commonly give rise to contention, and which commonly characterize it. He should not struggle for mere victory, even when endeavoring to maintain truth; but should do this, in all cases, with a kind spirit, and a mild temper; with entire candor; with nothing designed to provoke and irritate an adversary; and so that, whatever may be the result of the discussion, "the bond of peace" may, if possible, be preserved.
jgilberAZ

Re: Of or To Power ??

Postby WhiteH2OWoman on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:17 am

Just one more hint of an upcoming dictatorship by the "Silencer" if you ask me.
WhiteH2OWoman
Supporting Member

Postby Swayde on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:46 am

That is an interesting observation. It definitely makes you wonder.
~Barbara
Swayde

Postby jgilberAZ on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:14 pm

I've kept looking into this ...

Here's the type of chatter I'm seeing:

Mr. Obama announced he would hold his first post-election news conference on today following his first meeting with a newly-assembled team of economic advisers to help with his transition to power in January.

They are talking like he's ascending the throne, or something .... 'his transition to power.'

I find it very odd, and a little bit discomforting.

2 Timothy 2:24a..And the servant of the Lord must not strive ...
The meaning is, that the servant of Christ should be a man of peace. He should not indulge in the feelings which commonly give rise to contention, and which commonly characterize it. He should not struggle for mere victory, even when endeavoring to maintain truth; but should do this, in all cases, with a kind spirit, and a mild temper; with entire candor; with nothing designed to provoke and irritate an adversary; and so that, whatever may be the result of the discussion, "the bond of peace" may, if possible, be preserved.
jgilberAZ

Postby gridlost on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:26 am

deleted
Last edited by gridlost on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
gridlost

Postby noble1 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:34 am

He is being transitioned to rule.

The question is...by whom is he being groomed to take this position of dictatorship (cuz you know that's what its going to turn out to be)??

CNN..."Certainly Not the News!" I look at CNN as a last resort.
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
noble1

Postby gridlost on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:20 pm

deleted
Last edited by gridlost on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
gridlost

Postby daffodyllady on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:26 pm

A transition of power implies the transition comes "from" one person in power, "to" the one taking the position of power.

Why would they want to avoid any implied reference to GWB when referring to the transition process? Possibly because in their eyes, he lo longer has ANY power at all. He is a lame duck. A dead horse. Obama is all there is.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby WhiteH2OWoman on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:01 am

As a professional writer, the use of "transition TO power" instead of the traditional "transition OF power" shifts the focus away from both parties (Bush and Obama) and puts all the spotlight on Obama...which is just where that egomaniac likes it!

:strike:
WhiteH2OWoman
Supporting Member

Postby T-Minus? on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:11 pm

:grin: WH2OW....Ah, the magic and nuances of words and phrasing!! Maranatha!!
T-Minus?

Return to U.S. Presidential Election 2008