Time to get back to being the Church

General discussion of candidates' campaign issues

Time to get back to being the Church

Postby moose on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:30 am

I believe the Church in America has largely been silent and disengaged. I believe we reaped the harvest of that in yesterday's elections.

Now that Barack Hussein Obama is the president-elect of the US, I pray that God will use this to wake up his church. As I've prayed regarding this election, I believe God has shown me that if John McCain had won, then the American church would have breathed a sigh of relief, rolled over and gone back to sleep.

If we are living in the last of the last days as many here believe we are, then it is necessary that America changes, and it is necessary that the Church be judged first. May God use this election to wake us up and help us to realize there is no time to sleep on the job, or to be complacent, or afraid, or politically correct. We need to be the Church. We need to proclaim righteousness and the gospel with boldness and convinction and urgency.

Obama's election may spell trouble for American Christians (and Christians around the world), but throughout the church's history, persecution has worked to spread the gospel and strengthen the church. I pray we are ready for the challenge.
Joel 2:28 Ministries - http://www.joel228.org/
moose

Re: Time to get back to being the Church

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:40 am

Wise words, moose. Thank you.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby aaron on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:19 am

I pray we are ready for the challenge.

Having never had much hardship here in the U.S., I believe we are not ready for the challenge, but God can make us ready, and we have a grace period to prepare.
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
-1 Timothy 6:12
aaron

Postby AndCanItBe on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:40 am

Thank you, moose.

I've been thinking about this passage today.

Hebrews 12

1Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

2fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

3For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

4You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin;

5and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons,
"MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD,
NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM;
6FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES,
AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES."

7It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?

8But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.

9Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live?

10For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness.

11All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

12Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble,

13and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.
AndCanItBe

Postby OBXBob on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:11 am

:a3: Moose and ACIB,

YBIC,

Bob
OBXBob

Postby extravagantchristian on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:08 am

Hmm, if Obama getting elected president is discipline, then that would mean that the American church was not in need of discipline, at the time Bush was elected. So what changed between then and now. I wouldn't think much. I think there is a good portion of the church still walking with God in America. I know I am. If anything we are lazy and spoiled, but what's new. Judging by the mass appeal of Obama, I would say that God put him here for a purpose. We shall see.

Yeah but then again, look how many Christians ignore the Word and watch evil on TV everyday. The bible says that we are not to set anything evil before our eyes. Yet most of us have cable TV. Isn't it true? So since we are so interested in the media, maybe God gave us what we deserve, the candidate who the media is in love with.

:dunno:
extravagantchristian

Postby AndCanItBe on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:44 am

I don't think it means that we didn't need discipline the last 8 years, just that God decided now is the time, because, as you said, we are lazy and spoiled. I completely agree God has a purpose in allowing Obama to be elected. I guess I see getting what we, as a nation, deserve, what some of us begged for, as discipline for the Christian. You're right though, we don't for sure yet what will result here, but we shall see.
AndCanItBe

Postby mark s on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:45 am

I've been praying that God would give us the leader that will be good for us. I'm going to believe that He did just that. I think the church will grow stronger, that we will have greater opportunities to share our faith, and that we will be forced to increase in holiness. And these are very good things!
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Return to U.S. Presidential Election 2008