OBAMA and OPRAH?

General discussion of candidates' campaign issues

OBAMA and OPRAH?

Postby joyfulchild on Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:47 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/26/ ... index.html

:shock: to me this is WEIRD...

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Political observers say Oprah Winfrey's decision to campaign with Sen. Barack Obama could help him make inroads into what many many consider Sen. Hillary Clinton's natural constituency: women.

Oprah Winfrey, right, appears with Sen. Barack and Michelle Obama during a fundraiser in September.

In a move that may lead voters, particularly women, to take a second look at Obama, the talk show host will join the Democratic presidential candidate on the campaign trail December 8 and 9, Obama's campaign announced.

Winfrey will join Obama during campaign stops in early-voting states Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, the campaign said.

The appearances come just weeks before the crucial Iowa caucus on January 3.

"Oprah takes the idea of a celebrity endorsement to a whole new level. She's not just a superstar. She's a nova," Democratic strategist Jenny Backus told CNN.

"She's not just a Hollywood celebrity. In fact, she's really not Hollywood. She's like the voice of America. She is someone that more American women and men tune in to every day."

Speaking to reporters in Littleton, New Hampshire, Monday, Obama called Winfrey "a great friend," adding that "she is beloved across the country."

"Campaigns are not just about issues and policy but about bringing people together, and this creates excitement and an event and, hopefully, we can attract some people who might not otherwise be interested in politics," Obama said.

Obama, an Illinois Democrat, trails Clinton in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination by nearly 20 points in a national CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll conducted November 2-4.

Obama could close that gap if he gets more women, who make up between 52 and 54 percent of Democratic voters, to back his candidacy.

"Hillary Clinton simply seems to be the women's candidate regardless of race," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said. "I think that's what Obama may really be trying to reach is women -- not white women or black women or any particular race, just women in general.

"Married women, women with children -- those are the ones who tend to turn out and vote," Holland said. "Those are the ones that have more at stake, so they're more willing and eager to go out and vote in primaries and the general election. That tends to be the Oprah audience."

In Iowa, Obama is in a statistical dead heat with Clinton and former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, according to a Washington Post/ABC News poll conducted November 14-18.

Don't Miss
TIME.com: Why Oprah won't help Obama
ElectionCenter 2008: Candidates
While Winfrey's campaign stops will generate interest in Iowa, political science professor Stephen Schmidt of Iowa State University doubts it will change the race significantly.

"Iowans never follow the lead of people who come and tell them how to vote," said Schmidt.

But, Schmidt said, Winfrey may generate a little buzz for Obama.

"It will keep attention on Obama, and people will ask why someone as busy as Oprah Winfrey is campaigning for Obama," he said.

Stu Rothenberg of the Rothenberg Political Report agrees that Winfrey is unlikely to change the overall dynamics of the Democratic race.

"I think certainly Oprah can get Sen. Obama some extra media attention, including on shows that don't normally cover politics. She can help him raise some money," Rothenberg said.

"But ultimately the Democratic race comes down to Iowa and New Hampshire and voters in those two states, and they probably aren't going to pay a lot of attention to her endorsement."

"It's a good endorsement, it's a plus," Rothenberg said, "but it's a plus only in the margins." E-mail to a friend

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean we all know this woman LAUNCHED The Secret.She EMBRACES the new age.What does this say re OBAMA"S plans/intentions??I know Im australian and what would I know :lol: BUT to me :eek: this is a worrying step.Women LISTEN to her!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shes even fund raised for him!Did you guys know this? :( Theres a connection here am sure....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/o ... tob18.stng

It's party time!
Oprah is lining up celebs for the September soiree she's throwing for Barack Obama at her California mansion that one supporter says will be 'the hottest ticket in town'

July 18, 2007
LYNN SWEET lsweet@suntimes.com
WASHINGTON -- Let's see, what does it mean when Oprah Winfrey hosts a glitzy fund-raiser for her Chicago pal, White House hopeful Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), at her stunning California mansion?

"I know this is going to be the hottest ticket in town," said Yolanda Parker, a Los Angeles area supporter on Obama's national finance committee.

Save-the-date e-mails for Winfrey's Sept. 8 splash at her home in Montecito, a wooded community in Santa Barbara near the Pacific Ocean, just started circulating, setting off yet another round of buzz about celebrity fund-raising in the 2008 presidential contest.

» Click to enlarge image

Oprah Winfrey is holding a Sept. 8 fund-raiser for Sen. Barack Obama at her Santa Barbara, Calif., mansion.
(Copyright 2005/George Burns Harpo/Productions Inc.)

RELATED STORIES
• Sweet: Obama on abortion rights
• Endorsement: D.C. mayor backs Obama
• Sweet blog: Volunteer HQ in Loop opens
• Sweet blog: Complete coverage

STAR POWER
With Jamie Foxx and Beyonce possibly attending Oprah's bash for Illinois senator and presidential hopeful Barack Obama, it's time to look at which celebrities have thrown support behind Obama and his chief rival, Hillary Rodham Clinton:
OBAMA
Halle Berry, Oliver Stone, George Clooney

CLINTON
Steven Spielberg, Barbra Streisand, Hugh Hefner
"There will be a reception and a concert with a very special guest," said Parker's e-mail to her "list" of friends.

Calls out to Foxx, Beyonce
Winfrey is taking a personal interest in lining up the entertainment. Calls are going out to Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx and songstress Beyonce.
To get in on the party, the maximum $2,300-per-individual contribution for the primary is being asked. Special VIP access will be given to people who raise $25,000 (they will be called co-hosts), with top bundlers of $50,000 or more to be listed as "hosts" of the event.

Obama and chief rival Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) have been competing for dollars from the entertainment world, each with their dueling sets of stars.

The two are mega-fund-raisers -- reports filed Sunday showed Clinton has banked $63 million so far and Obama has taken in $58.9 million for the first half of the year. They did so with a big assist from California, where they have frequently dipped into what seems like an unlimited cash well; the Golden State so far has put out $9 million for Clinton and $8.3 million for Obama.

In Beverly Hills -- that is ZIP 90210 -- Clinton has pocketed $463,675 to Obama's $257,488.

------------------------------------------------------------

:puke: Maybe IM missing the point here but straight away after reading this my first thoought is-THE MAN HAS NO CLASS.
joyfulchild

Postby RomaLynnStar on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:00 pm

:mrgreen:

I tell you joyful either way this turns out, Obama, or Hillary, or whoever wins the Repl primary

America is in deep :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
RomaLynnStar

Postby joyfulchild on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:33 pm

I think like Australia and our ecently elected new PM-you -like us-will lose the person who has been 'restraining'-making the scene being set further.
joyfulchild

Postby sherrimae on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Wouldn't it be something if Oprah's campaigning for Obama helped him beat Hillary in some of these upcoming primaries?
sherrimae

Postby Lookfortruth on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:38 pm

I did not see her looking like she was into this in her public announcement. Wonder if she has some favors to return?

This whole thing stinks to me. :roll:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:01 pm

Moving this to the new Presidential Election forum.... :grin:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby bluejay on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:22 pm

Just weird.....weird....weird! I wouldn't want to follow Oprah! What an example she sets! :armor:
bluejay

Postby laney on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:40 pm

OBAMA and OPRAH?

Quite a pair... :banned:
laney

Postby RomaLynnStar on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:52 pm

Yes these two are a real weird pair.

However, when Oprah mentions a book on her show, it gets to No. 1
the next day on the bestsellers list.

Who knows??? :mrgreen: But I think Obama is not who he seems.
RomaLynnStar

Postby denise on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:36 am

Obama scares me. I've heard that he spent his yearly years in one of those mosque schools. His middle name is Hussein, too... :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama

(snip)

Born to a white American mother and a black Kenyan father, Obama grew up in culturally diverse surroundings. He lived for most of his childhood in the majority-minority U.S. state of Hawaii and spent four of his pre-teen years in the multi-ethnic Indonesian capital city of Jakarta.

(snip)

The family moved to Jakarta in 1967, where Obama attended local schools from ages 6 to 10.

(snip)

In (his) memoir, Obama describes his experiences growing up in his mother's American middle class family. His knowledge about his absent Luo father came mainly through family stories and photographs. Of his early childhood, Obama writes: "That my father looked nothing like the people around me—that he was black as pitch, my mother white as milk—barely registered in my mind." The book describes his struggles as a young adult to reconcile social perceptions of his multiracial heritage. He used alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine during his teenage years, Obama writes, to "push questions of who I was out of my mind".

Obama's life story is the PERFECT Oprah episode\interview. I mean, this guy was made to be a poster child for them... :eek:
Standfast therefore in the Liberty which Christ has made you free
and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Galations 5:1
denise

Postby bluejay on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:49 am

Indeed! A crazy world we live in! Its not the same as it was growing up as a child.....never again will it be the same...My grandparents would roll over in their graves as they say if they could see how this place turned out!
I was just thinking yesterday....a new year is on its way. How much time do we have left? I feel as the egg timer is on and it could just go off at anytime soon. :clock: :shark: Just a thought.........
bluejay

Postby Hippiechic on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:43 pm

Oprah and Obama seem to belong together.... I do think that as far as the Democrats go that they are good pair and will steal a lot of Hillary's votes. But not so good for us...
Jesus loves me for who I am,
and He loves you for who you are too!
Becca
Hippiechic

Re: OBAMA and OPRAH?

Postby laney on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Just thinking...Oprah is having her last show I think, this Monday. Says there is a big secret she will reveal. Just thinking...could she go into politics? :humm:
"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be [people] of courage; be strong." (1 Cor. 16:13
laney

Postby joyfulchild on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:15 pm

laney wrote:Just thinking...Oprah is having her last show I think, this Monday. Says there is a big secret she will reveal. Just thinking...could she go into politics? :humm:

wow!
This is amazing that you unearthed this!! I am blown away...I wonder what her secret is..ironic that she promoted "The Secret" ..
joyfulchild

Postby Jericho on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:01 pm

laney wrote:Just thinking...Oprah is having her last show I think, this Monday. Says there is a big secret she will reveal. Just thinking...could she go into politics? :humm:

Possible, tho I'm sure she's pretty busy with her "OWN" channel.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby extravagantchristian on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Oprah is the devil's biggest tool... she has the largest following in the world.
extravagantchristian

Postby burien1 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:50 pm

joyfulchild wrote:

wow!
This is amazing that you unearthed this!! I am blown away...I wonder what her secret is..ironic that she promoted "The Secret" ..

They've been advertising it on TV here in the US, Mel. I`m wondering if it is the baby that she thought died, when Oprah was 14. Maybe the baby didn`t really die. :dunno: But she`s getting a lot of publicity over this.

Who Will Oprah Winfrey be Reunited With Tomorrow?
Daytime TV Queen Says She Will Reveal a 'Miracle of All Miracles' on Monday's Show

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/oprah-winfrey-reveal-big-family-secret-tomorrow/story?id=12743761

And here;
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/7975623-oh-what-will-oprahs-big-secret-be-deconstructing-the-possibilities
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby drdos on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 am

I can Honestly say I don't care! Oprah makes me SICK.
drdos

Postby burien1 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 am

drdos wrote:I can Honestly say I don't care! Oprah makes me SICK.

I have to admit, I am curious. I don`t watch Oprah`s show. But I was a fan when she was in WJZTV in Baltimore, long before ever becoming famous nation wide, and then world wide. I have always prayed for her to be born again, and proclaim Christ to the world. The Jesus that we know. Whatever this is, I pray it will be a catalyst for that end. It has always broken my heart, that she has helped to lead so many people into deception. She is worth billions, and so poverty stricken spiritually, where it really counts.
burien1

Postby drdos on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 am

she has turned millions of woman who were seeking a connection with the Divine(God) into new age power seekers. For this reason I say I really don't care what it is that she is going to reveal. Yes she needs Jesus, and I pray for her soul, but she has led many away from God. Lord help her.
drdos

Postby burien1 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 am

drdos wrote:she has turned millions of woman who were seeking a connection with the Divine(God) into new age power seekers. For this reason I say I really don't care what it is that she is going to reveal. Yes she needs Jesus, and I pray for her soul, but she has led many away from God. Lord help her.

But for the grace of God, there go I. Those millions of women, have made their own choices. We don`t know how many, just as Oprah, have heard the word of God, and rejected it. They will each one stand before his throne one day, and the Lord is not going to accept, "Oprah made me do it ." Not that Oprah will not be held accountable for her actions, if she doesn`t repent. But I totally understand where you`re coming from, Dr.D.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 am

Those millions of women, have made their own choices.

Exactly!

...."they have accumulated for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires.... (1 Tim.4:3)
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby drdos on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:26 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:
Those millions of women, have made their own choices.

Exactly!

...."they have accumulated for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires.... (1 Tim.4:3)

Yep I agree with you both. It just makes me ill and sad at the same time. I know a lot of Christians that still watch her shows..
drdos

Postby extravagantchristian on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Her big secret is that she has a half sister.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/24/oprah ... ly-secret/
extravagantchristian

Return to U.S. Presidential Election 2008