Being Prepared Part Two

Economic and Mark of the Beast
prophecy-related information

Re: Being Prepared Part Two

Postby burien1 on Tue May 25, 2010 6:39 am

BUT first of all, and above all else! -we should get to know our God well enough, that we can hear His voice above our screaming fear, when the bombs are falling.

:a3: :a3: :a3: If our hearts aren`t right, its all ritual.
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby MuchAfraid on Tue May 25, 2010 6:43 am

If we are still here when the going gets extremely tough, I beleive it will be the hand of God and Jesus to supply our needs.

What good will it do hoard supplies and learn to grow a garden if thieves come to steal it while you sleep? What good will it do to have land if the government takes it away because you can't afford to pay the property taxes?

I think we are going to need supernatural protection/supply and I pray I have the faith to wait until I receive from the Lord if I need to.
MuchAfraid

Postby CaryC on Sun May 30, 2010 8:20 am

Hey,

First of all, it should be noted that "STORING" supplies, and "hoarding" are two totally different things.

"Hoarding" is what you see being done on TV. The other aspect of hoarding is what is done when the "event" is already upon us. Watch milk and bread disappear from stores when a hurricane is coming, that's hoarding.

"STORING" supplies is what was done for thousands of years. People stored pork, and peas so they would have something to eat when those things aren't on the vine, or to hot to slaughter the hog.

If anyone thinks they can store food, and survive the 7 year tribulation, they had better go back and read Revelation again. Even if you have that much food it is going to take an act of God to help/make us survive. Read the Book.

So now you have to answer two questions: 1) Do you think the folks who have been unemployed for the last year would of faired better if they have a year's worth of food STORED up? If your answer is yes, then why aren't you storing? 2) If the reason you are not STORING food is because you think someone will steal it, do you own anything? Anything can be stolen, cars, purses, TV's and the list goes on. So if you would own a TV, or computer, why wouldn't you own food, the very thing that will cause you to endure the hard times?

It should also be noted that this country, the USA, has endured hard times before (compared to those times this ain't 'Hard Times'). The Great Depression is what everyone thinks about, and they forget the Dust Bowl era, where dust from Oklahoma settled on New York City, and the Locust Outbreak that was a mile high, 1000 miles long, and blocked out the sun, and wiped out 70% of the nations crops. We've had hard times before, and during those hard times there WASN'T wide spread stealing of food. There was a lot of folks HELPING other folks.

Some folks liken Argentina's fall to the coming fall in the US, and expect similar things here, and it may happen that way. In those other "hard times" there may have been a higher moral ground that people lived on, and today it isn't that way. But I have noticed that when a national catastrophe happens I see folks helping folks.

Everyone should "lay in stores" there is no excuse for not doing it. On the other hand don't expect your handy work to carry you through the Great Tribulation, it's beyond our ability, we are in the hands of God.
Cary
Wise Men Still Seek Him
CaryC

Postby Small-Time on Sun May 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanx Cary and i agree, after all, we ALL, and i mean ALL, store or prepare in some shape or form. Even the most faithful of us.That is why i asked for no debating. There is nothing to debate, we ALL do it, one way or another.It is why we go to school. It is why we go to work.It is why we do what ever it is we do. To prepare us for tomorrow.Some people just prepare for more than tomorrow.
God is always in control and will have his way. Job had everything taken away and then restored.No matter how much we store, God can take it away. And no matter how little we store, God has the abillity to provide our need.
If we are here through the trib, only God will get us through. God doesnt take too kindly to lazy.
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby xdrifter on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:34 pm

For those who have not had an interest in preparing up until now, may I suggest picking up the following (just to be safe) as we are approaching the mid point of the ENP and things are heating up as many expected they would.

basic surival list that will help you along.

Water
rice
dry beans
powerdered milk
canned veggies fruits
canned tuna salmon etc
salt
canned and dry soup mix
baking soda/ flour/ baking powder
pasta
candles / lighters

Also, get a cook pan you can hook up to a car battery if you do not have a generator
"About the time of the end, a body of men will be raised up who will turn their attention to the prophecies, and insist upon their literal interpretation, in the midst of much clamour and opposition." Sir Isaac Newton, 1642-1727

Remember me affectionately to good Dr. Price and to the honest heretic Dr. Priestly. I do not call him honest by way of distinction; for I think all the heretics I have known have been virtuous men. They have the virtue of fortitude or they would not venture to own their heresy; and they cannot afford to be deficient in any of the other virtues, as that would give advantage to their many enemies; and they have not like orthodox sinners, such a number of friends to excuse or justify them. Do not, however mistake me. It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic.
xdrifter

Postby Small-Time on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:02 pm

If the oil in the gulf contaminates the water, do you folks know of a water filter that can take out oil? To make it drinkable?
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:59 am

Small-Time wrote:If the oil in the gulf contaminates the water, do you folks know of a water filter that can take out oil? To make it drinkable?

Yes. Check out the website of Katadyn.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Small-Time on Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:18 pm

thanx, i have heard they make good filters, i just didn't know if they could get the oil out.
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby CaryC on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:55 am

Hey,

I'm in total dumbness here, but couldn't you just let the water/oil sit and it will separate? Then just take the water off the bottom, like with a spout. Much in the same way you can let dirty water sit and the dirt will go to the bottom?

You could also distill it: Bring it to a boil, catch the steam, which is only water, let it condense back into clear water, can even be done with salt water, to make it drinkable. It would work better it you had something like a tea kettle.

Also something to consider: it would seem to me that the only worry would be in open standing water, like a lake. Rivers, wells, etc. would seem to clear themselves up.

Just some thoughts.
Cary
Wise Men Still Seek Him
CaryC

Postby daffodyllady on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:38 pm

My question has to do with the dispersants and volatile organic compounds from oil wells... can those chemicals be evaporated and pollute rainfall? Can they contaminate wells, or will that poisonous stuff be filtered out by the time it gets to 250 feet underground?
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby CaryC on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Hey daffy,

O, I see! Yea, they should be OK, I would think. If I remember right, they recommend field lines for septic tanks be 50 feet away from wells. So the earth should clean up/filter the stuff.

And then again when in doubt distill it. You can flop some mud in a pan, bring it to a boil catch the steam, and have good drinkable water without any polluants.

Hope that helps.
Cary
Wise Men Still Seek Him
CaryC

Postby Small-Time on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi Cary and all,
I'm not sure that distilling the water will remove all toxins. I came across this video which has a cool demo if you feel like watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqRvUzqDCE
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby CaryC on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:10 am

Hey,

The conversation in this thread of late has turned to water filtration. So wanted to give an update.

There are a lot of filters "out there" some cheap and others you would have to take out a second mortage to buy, and they all say they are the best. We've looked at a lot of them, and there were two things that kept putting me off. One was, the cost for what appeared to be good ones was high. The second, was replacing filters.

Believe it or not the second one, to me, was a bigger problem than the first. In a WSHTF scenerio, what ever that may be, how are you going to replace filters: no job, no money, no transportation, etc..... The way things go for me, I would need a filter just about the time it hit.

After following some recommendations (the owner of Survivalblog.com, and I can't think of the guys name but he has a forum also which I can't name here, but if you want it PM me) and then doing some separate checking on my own, we bit the bullet.

We purchased a "Big Berkey" from Ready Made Resources, who had the best price at 249.90 (out of what we were looking at, free shipping) It's a stainless steel canister, so it will keep forever and won't transfer taste (like a plastic one will) and it has 4/ 9" ceramic rods, which are impregnated with silver. It will take out toxins, pesticides, herbicides, bacteria etc.... Then when the rods are dirty, just take them out and clean them, reuse.

Your initial investment will be your only cost. Just ordered it, and when it comes in we are going to set it up in the kitchen and start using it, now.

Don't remember how fast it works, but seems like I remember it was like 6 gallons an hour.

I have provided a link below so you can look at it, and check it out.

http://www.readymaderesources.com/cart/ ... uctId=3529

Everything we are hearing is that the near future is going to be dire, so it's a good time to start prepping. This would be a good thing to have around anyway cause if you , or rather the water plant losses power, you will have to start boiling your water anyway.

You can use this one with muddy water out a river, if you have to.

Hope that helps.
Cary
Wise Men Still Seek Him
CaryC

Postby CaryC on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:45 am

Hey,

On another front:

Is anybody into, or doing, long term storage?

We've been doing short term with canned goods from the grocery store (use by dates are normally 2 years) along with some flour, and meal, which has to be re-constituted after a certain period (3 months ?) and rotating the stock.

But am considering starting long term--30 year storage items. This will mean buying whole grains--red wheat still in the kernal, and corn. We are also looking at rice and beans. The whole grains will mean the purchase of a grain mill, to get the wheat and corn into flour and meal.

We realize that you have to do "special" things for long term, like transfer the goods into mylar bags (where's the best place to get them, and i've noticed that they come in zip lock now, is that good?). Putting them into food grade buckets is out for us, no room. Have looked at galvanized thrash cans, and old broken freezers, to be kept out side, or something on that order. What are y'all doing?

The "Country Living Grain Mill" @ 400.00 seems to be the one everyone is recommending. Anyone here doing this? Anyone making their own flour now? And do you have a recipe for the flour--how much salt, baking powder, baking soda, what else, etc.... Same for the corn meal, salt, pepper, baking powder, soda, what ever else it takes...per .....5 lbs.?

Anything anyone is doing I would love to hear about it.
Cary
Wise Men Still Seek Him
CaryC

Postby Small-Time on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Hey Cary,
I've been doing a little but i use flour.No wheat. I don't have a mill nor the funds to get one.If things get that tough it would be alot easier to just have flour.Emergency Essentials has almost every thing you need to do it yourself or to outright buy.They have Mylar bags, oxygen absorbers,buckets and lids. They also have flour in cans that have a 25 year shelf life.
When i did mine, i bought the flour in bulk, put it in a Mylar bag,throwed in an ox. absorber and sealed the Mylar bag with an Iron(clothes iron).The bag was in a bucket so i put a lid on and stored away.

I tried a few(rice) without the bucket and found that it did not stack well and the vacuum that the ox. absorber puts on the bag makes it likely to get punctured if you have to move it around.It's just not durable if its not in a bucket or some type of container.
I've done rice,sugar and flour.The flour doesn't vacuum down as much as the others because it is fluffy.
If i lived in the U.S. i would buy the prepackaged stuff.
Hope this helps,God Bless.
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby xdrifter on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:20 am

Has anyone here got into alternative energy (wind mills, solar? etc)

Looking for the most cost effective way to rig up the basics, lights, well pump etc.
"About the time of the end, a body of men will be raised up who will turn their attention to the prophecies, and insist upon their literal interpretation, in the midst of much clamour and opposition." Sir Isaac Newton, 1642-1727

Remember me affectionately to good Dr. Price and to the honest heretic Dr. Priestly. I do not call him honest by way of distinction; for I think all the heretics I have known have been virtuous men. They have the virtue of fortitude or they would not venture to own their heresy; and they cannot afford to be deficient in any of the other virtues, as that would give advantage to their many enemies; and they have not like orthodox sinners, such a number of friends to excuse or justify them. Do not, however mistake me. It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic.
xdrifter

Postby Small-Time on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi xdrifter,
I have done a small setup of solar and it works quite well.
One small system that may be a good place to start, is at Harbor Freight. The last time i checked it was around $170.00.
Dollar for Dollar wind is cheaper per watt but you spend more up front.
I have installed a few L.E.D. lights in my house and wired them into switches in the wall. When power goes out, I flip a switch and they come on.Almost any light, pump,or fan that works on 12v DC will work on a solar system.
My DC system is parallel to my AC system. I used to be a Linesman for the local Power station so i am familiar with electricity.
The more you want to run, the more solar (power) you will need and it is not cheap.You never realize how much power you use until you try to go alternative.
Wind power would be a nice add on because it will work day and night as long as the wind blows.
I have a 60watt panel with batteries that allows me to run all my LED's and a fan for days.
Hope this helps- any questions feel free to ask.G-d Bless.
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:00 am

SMART, SMART, SMART !!! Im inspired !!!
(but the last person who should be doing anything with electric)...perhaps my husband will oblige me...I think he will, he's pretty good to me!... :mrgreen:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby jgilberAZ on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:52 am

If the world falls apart, and people start acting like they did during Katrina, won't the fact that your residence has lights when all the rest don't be a big clue to the bad guys to come and get your stuff, guns blazing?

I just don't get the rationale behind storing things ... too many problems with the whole idea (logistically speaking, not biblically speaking).

- Jeff
2 Timothy 2:24a..And the servant of the Lord must not strive ...
The meaning is, that the servant of Christ should be a man of peace. He should not indulge in the feelings which commonly give rise to contention, and which commonly characterize it. He should not struggle for mere victory, even when endeavoring to maintain truth; but should do this, in all cases, with a kind spirit, and a mild temper; with entire candor; with nothing designed to provoke and irritate an adversary; and so that, whatever may be the result of the discussion, "the bond of peace" may, if possible, be preserved.
jgilberAZ

Postby xdrifter on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:21 pm

My house in Canada is very very remote, I am surrounded by wilderness, and my nearest neighbors are mostly menonites and farmers... I think I would be obliged to take people in if they came needing help, but in the case they were a threat I'd hear my neighbors guns going off long before I had to load mine.

xdrifter

Postby Small-Time on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi Jeff,
Everyone stores stuff in one way or the other.The difference is how much.Long term storage is an extension of short term storage.Some people go to the grocery every day, some every week, some every two weeks, ETC.
I live on a Small island and in the event of a collapse i dont anticipate division, but unity. Everyone knows everyone and for the most part a Godly island.I put tracks in all my stored stuff. After all, in the event that we are raptured out before i need it, some needy person may find more than food. For some reason food helps starving people to swallow the Gospel easier.
Through 401Ks, bank accounts, CD's and retirement plans, some people store money.
My LEDs are not that bright and can easily be mistaken for a candle lit room.

It is troublesome sometimes, but the things that are worth it usually are.
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby Small-Time on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:14 pm

I have a question for you wood chopping folks. Is there a way to stop stored wood from rotting and/or becoming infested with ants/bugs?
Thanx in advance.
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby daffodyllady on Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Jeff, don't depend on hearing Mennonites guns going off. One of our major creeds, is that we believe the kingdom of heaven is non-violent. Therefore, we do not resist evil, even if we and our families are in danger of death.

I don't want this to dissolve into a debate over this belief. I just wanted to tell Jeff not to plan on hearing Mennonites blazing away at their enemies.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby xdrifter on Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:59 am

build yourself a shelter for it so it doesn't see a lot of rain and snow and it is good for a long time, it actually gets better for burning the dryer it gets, termites will burn just fine and I have never seen them ruin fire wood, main thing is keeping the wood dry so it doesn't rot, circumstances may be different for you depending on what kind of trees your cutting, but i can vouch for maple and oak hardwoods

just build yourself a wood shed it'll last a lot longer then it takes you to burn it. IF you had storing it for future use on your mind, maple and oak take a very long time to dry out and be any good for burning anyways, if you cut them green, I have a pile in a shed about two years old, and it will be good for a few more.

xdrifter

Postby xdrifter on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:39 am

Anyone know of a site selling bulk oats, grains, and long shelf life dry goods in tubs (like the previously mentioned emergency essentials site) who will deliver to canada?

anyone from the Michigan boarder area?

message me.

xdrifter

Postby CaryC on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:32 am

Hey,

I would think Honeyville Grain would, and Walton Feed. I think you can just add a .com to those or google them.
Cary
Wise Men Still Seek Him
CaryC

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:00 pm

GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby xdrifter on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:32 pm

thanks for that, has anyone here got into wood boilers for heating their home?

i am liking the efficiency, the problem i see with it is that you need electicity to circulate the heated water to the radiators in the home... anyone who is living off the grid who has a good efficient wood heating system that also heats their water, i would love to hear about it.

curious about what people are using to move their water.. I have thought of powering a pump with a bycycle setup but am curious about other options. Currently setup where the tank is gravity fed from attic, and generator needs to be turned on to run pump long enough to fill tank.

have seen some setups with the water tank in the roof, above the wood stove, which heats the water for hot showers, dishes etc.. but looking for a solution for a much larger home, utilizing an outdoor wood boiler... need a sustainable way to move water from the well, through the boiler, and pipeline throughout the home...

nevermind a sustainable way to get water into the tank, from the well.. without fetching it manually

love to hear from those of you who are living off the grid

xdrifter

Postby daffodyllady on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:04 pm

I'll probably rely on my own feet and arms to move water, in a bucket.

Have you ever heard of a "ram" for moving water? Here's a link:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/transp ... ion318.htm
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby Small-Time on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Xdrifter, do you need a pressure pump or a circulating pump, and how deep is your well?
Is the water going into a tank or is it circulating back to the boiler to go back through the house heated?
They make circulating pumps for solar water heaters that run on solar.They will not draw water from a well though.
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby burien1 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 pm

10 Things We Can Learn From Egypt About Preparing for Economic and Societal Collapse
http://www.bearishnews.com/post/3818
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby daffodyllady on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:05 pm

burien1 wrote:10 Things We Can Learn From Egypt About Preparing for Economic and Societal Collapse
http://www.bearishnews.com/post/3818

burien, thank you for that link. So many people think it can't happen here. Well, 9-11 happened here. Americans forget too easily.
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby david on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:30 pm

I apologize if this has been brought up before but, if you believe in an AOD then aren't we instructed to not go into our home even get a coat, or does that only apply only to Israel?
david

Postby xdrifter on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Small-Time wrote:Xdrifter, do you need a pressure pump or a circulating pump, and how deep is your well?
Is the water going into a tank or is it circulating back to the boiler to go back through the house heated?
They make circulating pumps for solar water heaters that run on solar.They will not draw water from a well though.

hey smalltime, my well is about 10 feet deep but filled to the brim, sitting on a spring here. unfortunately it is about 200 feet from my house, so the horizontal draw, may as well be considered a vertical one.

xdrifter

Postby popajay2652 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:44 am

I feel like I am begining a little late but I am ready to start. There is so much info here. I feel like I need to order some food to store but am unsure what to order or where. Prices here in the States are rising and with all the turmoil in the world it is rapidly getting worse. Can someone guide me (who is just now starting and I have nothing) with what I should do for my wife and I? Thank you >> PopaJay :dunno:
popajay2652

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi Popajay: There are a few things that come to mind as to your question about where to begin:
1) Water is vital, as you can go without food longer than water. If you've got any space, start cleaning and then filling plastic jugs with water that could be used for non consumption needs, such as bathing. Then, make sure you have collected as much plastic bottles of water (you can get a whole case, on sale, once in a while, for as little as $2.99, in our area).
2) Shop the sale adds only in your area, buying only those food items that have a decent shelf life. It is said that as long as you buy undented canned foods, those cans of food can remain potable for as long as 6 months or even a year. So, if you have no food stores, I would start with canned items that are on a really good sale in my area. Even so, I maintain a healthy food stock in my house by literally shopping the sale adds in my area, and going to all of the grocery stores on any given day (when I have time). I only buy what's on a really good sale, and when I do, I buy lots of it. By doing this, I am able to keep a fantastic food stock going in my kitchen, and many of the items in my cabinets I bought at a great discount.
3) If you have a wholesale card (Sams, Costco, etc), consider buying the 25lb bags of sugar, beans, rice, flour, popcorn, etc. If you google something like "food shelf life" you will get a good overall idea of what foods will store for how long. Then, get food grade containers that stack onto themselves, and store the containers, filled with the food sources. Air, moisture and light are the enemies to longer term stored foods.

I have also purchased vitamins (as they can contribute to sustainability in the event the diet isn't as it should be), toilet paper, keep a good supply of paper towels and trash bags, and some other things that would seriously come in handy in the event of an all out loss of services such as electricity, water and sewer.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby popajay2652 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks GS. That all makes sense and sounds very doable in the short term. I don't know why (perhaps it is the Holy Spirit or perhaps it is paranoia) but I feel like I need to get at this now. I am not familiar with the "food grade" containers. They have stackable clear plastic bins at Walmart here locally that I envisioned buying. Is that what you are talking about?
popajay2652

Postby GodsStudent on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:12 am

Hi Popajay: I bought my food grade storage containers over the internet. I also bought bags that seal (to get air out), and the little oxygen absorber packs to go in them.

Here's a link to the containers (one of many choices on the internet). http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_ ... Containers

Here's the oxygen absorbers from the same site: http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_ ... 20500%20CC

I also bought some dehydrated food. In my research, I learned that Mountain House was a reputable brand, so that is the brand I bought. The purpose of the dehydrated food is that it has a shelf life of 25 years, is light weight (you have to add water to it), and all I had to do was throw the boxes of food they sent in the #10 cans into my storage area.

I rotate my grocery store canned foods throughout the year (I box them and label them to be taken out of the boxes a few months or so before they expire). Then, some of it goes on my shelves and some of it goes to people I know need more food. This way, nothing I buy ever goes to waste. The sad thing is, I know so many people who need food, I never have an issue with finding the right person (s) to give it to. For me, this is one of the ways I give, and I feel better knowing that if any disaster strikes, I am able to feed my own family, and probably several more, for an extended time. It's become a way of life for me since last decade when things really started getting unstable. I just think this way now, and I have several friends who think the same as me, and we all do it. We keep our shelves fully stocked, maintaining separate shelves somewhere else in our house that are also fully stocked, and even have storage elsewhere. We rotate the food in and out in our shelves and to wherever we are going to donate it. It goes pretty smooth, but does take some time and effort to move all of it around. I don't mind, the peace of mind that comes with my being prepared to face weeks or months of "change" is cushioned by the fact that I have thought ahead. I am also pretty organized about keeping gas in my car.

Also, if you haven't bought or gotten potassium iodine tablets for your family (in the case of a nuclear event near you), you should. Our local state government actually passes these things out occasionally, and people go get them and keep them at their homes. These tablets are 100% necessary for exposure to nuclear material. You can survive (if you are some distance from where the bomb or dirty bomb falls), but you will have to have these for your thyroid. See this link for an example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QV ... EV3AS1EYZX

You can do research on this subject if you want to know where to go and what to do if this happens. The fallout of one of these things will travel through the air and radiate very large areas with smaller amounts of radiation. Likely, you will have to go under your house or in some other area where you can let the radiation pass for a few days. Then, when your family starts coming out, everyone should have thick rubber boots (like good snow boots) to walk on the ground with, and these (along with all clothes), should be left outside your "den" when you return from being outside. Children should be carried. The radiation will sit on the ground and lose its potency as time wears on, and these boots and tablets, and layered clothing, will give you some protection from the particulates floating in the air and sitting on the ground. This is not even the "cliff notes" version, but some things I generally understand about this type of an event. I actually printed a booklet out and store it in my house to help me know what to do and what not to do in the case this happens.

I hope I haven't scared you, but for me, knowledge of how to react to something like this helps me feel more comfortable. Many will die if this happens, but many will not die. For those that don't, these tablets are critical for continued survival, and knowing how to function (for best protection) will help people make the best of a bad situation. :dunno:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Small-Time on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:15 am

Xdrifter, I think if you can afford it, solar would be the way to go.Also, depending on the elevation on your land, if the spring is higher than your home,you can siphon the water.

Once you go solar, even with a small setup, anything that runs on 12volts will work for you. Most marine products work on 12volts. L.E.D. lights,pressure pumps, fans etc. I have 12 volt pumps that pump up to 70 psi but only at 5GPM.
hope this helps.

Popajay,
I recently got some 5 gal buckets from home depot that are food grade (when you look on the bottom of a container, there is a triangle with a number in it.Any thing with a 2 or less is food grade), and they also sell the lids.
Also if you have the money there are places that complete food storage kits,like Emergency Essentials.There food storage items generally have a shelf life of 25 years.They also sell all the stuff you need to DIY, Which i did, since i live in another country and shipping would be a killer on the bulk stuff.
At first i was a bit overwhelmed, like i sense you, are but if you keep at it, it will add up. Continue to read though this thread- especially part one. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

P.S. God student got her post in before me so there may be some stuff repeated
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby popajay2652 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Thank you both for that info and for the links. I find myself always at work and I don't get a chance to get on here as often as I would like. I am going to start getting things together starting tonight. Thank you again. :hugs:
popajay2652

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Bless you, popajay. I know that the peace of mind I have from keeping my physical house in order is worth every moment of effort I put into it. I live in a place where I have done what I could do about the potential risks, and I fully trust the Lord to be in complete control. If storms or wars or an EMP or whatever else happens, I know that I am prepared enough that I have time to adjust and "work through" whatever it is. Many things are out of my control, but everything isn't.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby bchandler on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:26 pm

There are many self-sufficiency e-books out there, that can help you plan/create a self-sufficient lifestyle.

Two of my favorites are:
One Circle - By David Duhon
The Backyard Homestead Mini-Farm - By Jean Jeavons, J Mogador Griffin, and Robin Leler

I also like The Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency, which is a PDF that you can usually find and download for free on the internet.

As well as, The Humanure Hand Book - 3rd edition, By Joseph Jenkins. Aslo usually available free, on the net, in PDF form. This is one of the better books that will teach you how to compost EVERYTHING! Good to know when the sewer systems stop working, and you need to know how to recycle EVERYTHING safely.
I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.
bchandler

Water

Postby oldbeans316 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:34 pm

I am getting back into preparedness mode. I have always had an emergency survival kit ready but am taking it to the next level and getting serious about it. This isn't necessarily for any sort of economic meltdown and collapse of society. While I do believe that something like that is inevitable in America, my preparedness kit is going to be moreso for surviving a catastrophic natural disaster (think Hurricane Katrina, the China earthquake, etc).

The first and foremost physical need that one needs to prepare for is water. What would you do if a huge natural disaster occurred and you were left without a source of clean drinking water? How would you get water when you can't just turn on the tap? This is the question I have been pondering for the past week.

I just recently purchased a Katadyn Vario Multi Flow Water Microfilter. Katadyn is perhaps the most well-recognized water filtration brand in the world. It is relatively inexpensive at $80 and lasts up to about 500 gallons (1900 litres).

The Vario Multi filter consists of three different filter levels: 1) a 0.3 micron glass fiber filter that doesn't require cleaning (it eliminates bacterium and protozoan cysts like giardia and cryptosporidium); 2) a 1.0 micron ceramic pre-filter; and 3) an active charcoal for eliminating odors and some chemicals. You can bypass the preliminary ceramic filter and only use it when dealing with more heavily contaminated sources (in order to extend the life of the glass fiber filter).

Depending on the quality of the water, the glass fiber filter has a capacity of about 500 gallons ( = 2000 liters) and the carbon filter can handle about 100 gallons ( = 400 liters) before replacements are needed. Replacements for the ceramic filter and charcoal filters are quite inexpensive (about $10-20 each). Also, a replacement for the main glass fibre filter catridge is only about $30 more.

There is another well-known Katadyn filter known to hikers, survivalists, etc. It is the Pocket Microfilter. Though at over $300, it is not a feasible option for most people (including myself!). Regardless, the main difference being that the Pocket Microfilter can last up to 13,000 gallons, whereas the Vario Multi Microfilter only lasts for about 500 (but as mentioned above, the filter replacements for this filter are quite inexpensive).

I think it would be wise to supplement your preparedness kit with other water treatment solutions.

Regular (non-scented) household chlorine bleach can be used. Usually it is about 5.25% chlorine. Simply add two drops per quart of water and let stand for at least half an hour. If the water is cloudy double the amount of chlorine and double the amount of time you let it stand.

Iodine is better than chlorine at eliminating Giardia in your water. However, Iodine must be kept in light-proof containers and can not be used by people who are allergic to iodine, have thyroid problems, are on lithium, pregnant or nursing women, or women over 50. If you do use a Iodine (generally it comes in a liquid 2% tincture of iodine), add 5 drops per quart of clear water or double that if the water is cloudy. Shake well and let stand for an hour. Same applies for Iodine tablets.

(Note: A quart is equal to a quarter of a gallon or 1 litre).

There are also much more inexpensive, but also much less effective, water filtration products, such as the Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filter System.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy.
oldbeans316

Postby xdrifter on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:59 am

If we are still here when the going gets extremely tough, I beleive it will be the hand of God and Jesus to supply our needs.

What good will it do hoard supplies and learn to grow a garden if thieves come to steal it while you sleep? What good will it do to have land if the government takes it away because you can't afford to pay the property taxes?

I think we are going to need supernatural protection/supply and I pray I have the faith to wait until I receive from the Lord if I need to.

I suggest buying and reading a copy of MARTYRS MIRROR...

The belief that GOD will provide you with safety and secutiy in this temporary existance is one that will leave you questioning your faith, and GOD in times of severe trials.

Scripture does not encourage us not to prepare but on the contrary it warns us, so that we will.

"Look to the ant though sluggard" comes to mind.

The Bible says the Tribulation will be a time when the "great restrainer" is removed... and Satan is unleashed to not only wage war on the Saints (believers) but overcome them! So what is it to exercise faith then? To read those words and say to yourself, GOD will provide for me and my familly! or, to read those words, heed the warning, and prepare for a time GOD says will be comming.

Gods Word aside, we live in turbulent times, natural disasters, the threat of a looming war, failed economies... YOU do not need to be a Bible believing Christian to know preparation is the prudent thing to do, in fact, if you have a familly it is your responsibility.

xdrifter

Postby laney on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:41 am

xdrifter wrote:

I suggest buying and reading a copy of MARTYRS MIRROR...

The belief that GOD will provide you with safety and secutiy in this temporary existance is one that will leave you questioning your faith, and GOD in times of severe trials.

Scripture does not encourage us not to prepare but on the contrary it warns us, so that we will.

"Look to the ant though sluggard" comes to mind.

The Bible says the Tribulation will be a time when the "great restrainer" is removed... and Satan is unleashed to not only wage war on the Saints (believers) but overcome them! So what is it to exercise faith then? To read those words and say to yourself, GOD will provide for me and my familly! or, to read those words, heed the warning, and prepare for a time GOD says will be comming.

Gods Word aside, we live in turbulent times, natural disasters, the threat of a looming war, failed economies... YOU do not need to be a Bible believing Christian to know preparation is the prudent thing to do, in fact, if you have a familly it is your responsibility.

Well said, Xdrifter!
"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be [people] of courage; be strong." (1 Cor. 16:13
laney

Postby Mrs. B on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Being Prepared Part Two......

Being prepared is to be obedient to what the Lord is showing you what to do....

How about beans...?

you can easly store them in an ice box....buy one pound sacks and store them in a sealed container...
all you need is water to cook them....and add what you may have at the time.....Beans are good for you
and you can buy one pound sealed package for less then a dollar.....
this is not going to be forever......but at the time it can meet your needs for food......we'll not be eatiang like kings...this is just for immergency......for a short time.....and easy to store....
rice....package of brown rice.....good with beans
Roman noodles.....very good as a filler food...
simple and will meet the need at the time...
water in milk jugs......store for when needed...

just some simple ideas......box corn bread
can vegetables....
simple foods that you can use for immergency....

Mrs. B
Mrs. B

Postby xdrifter on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:57 pm

Xdrifter, I think if you can afford it, solar would be the way to go.Also, depending on the elevation on your land, if the spring is higher than your home,you can siphon the water.

Once you go solar, even with a small setup, anything that runs on 12volts will work for you. Most marine products work on 12volts. L.E.D. lights,pressure pumps, fans etc. I have 12 volt pumps that pump up to 70 psi but only at 5GPM.
hope this helps.

Popajay,
I recently got some 5 gal buckets from home depot that are food grade (when you look on the bottom of a container, there is a triangle with a number in it.Any thing with a 2 or less is food grade), and they also sell the lids.
Also if you have the money there are places that complete food storage kits,like Emergency Essentials.There food storage items generally have a shelf life of 25 years.They also sell all the stuff you need to DIY, Which i did, since i live in another country and shipping would be a killer on the bulk stuff.
At first i was a bit overwhelmed, like i sense you, are but if you keep at it, it will add up. Continue to read though this thread- especially part one. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

P.S. God student got her post in before me so there may be some stuff repeated

Hey Small time, solar is still a bit pricey for me, and the sun isnt the best where I live for it. But I have dont some thinking since, as to the problem of moving the water to the house if the grid ever fails, I will yank an alternator out of one of my veichles, and hook it up to a bycyle to charge car batterys, move the water into a holding tank, then gravity feed for needs.

xdrifter

Postby daffodyllady on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:59 am

You can read the Martyr's Mirror online here:

http://www.homecomers.org/mirror/contents.htm

I highly recommend it!
These were my ancestors. These people literally lived in dens and caves of the earth, counting it a privilege to suffer for the Lord.

We have other handed down accounts of our ancestors, such as how they walked paths up and around the Alps, with sheer cliffs on either side of barely a foothold, to get to caves where no authorities dared to venture. A few healthy, strong young men would make the trek for precious food and water. Sometimes, they would rig up a pulley system to lift baskets of food up to the cliff-dwellers.

Truly, we hardly know how to suffer without boo-hooing about it.
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby Small-Time on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 am

Hey Small time, solar is still a bit pricey for me, and the sun isnt the best where I live for it. But I have dont some thinking since, as to the problem of moving the water to the house if the grid ever fails, I will yank an alternator out of one of my veichles, and hook it up to a bycyle to charge car batteries, move the water into a holding tank, then gravity feed for needs.

That alternator thing is not as possible as you think. Then need a high RPM and produce a heavy load. Power can be produced from a bicycle set up but with a different "generator". As with any emergency preparedness, it is good to practise your plans before they are a real emergency.

This is a small setup that is not to bad compared to others.
http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html
It will charge batteries and be a great help when there is no power.
Just Me
Small-Time

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:06 am

The other day I saw a link on the Michael Savage website for a solar panel "plan." I listened to the presentation where the man told of how he taught himself to build solar panels, completely eliminating his electric bill and then getting to the place where the power company was paying him (due to the fact his meter was turning backwards). The plans cost about $50.00 and he says that each panel can be built for about $100.00, and in a day or so. My friend and I are going to look further into this after the holidays.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Economic/MOB Watch