Mormons and Arguments From Silence

Share ways to witness to JW, Mormons, Scientology, and other cults and sects.

Mormons and Arguments From Silence

Postby LandLover on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:41 am

Hey Everyone,

I've been in an ongoing conversation with Mormon that I met on FaceBook. We've have some interesting conversations, banter and flat out disputes over doctrine and theology. My question is how would you talk to someone whose beliefs are predicated on arguments from silence?

For example, since The Bible DOESN'T expressly say that God WASN'T once a man, DOESN'T have many goddess wives through whom to propigate spirit children... then it's possible that all this could be true. After all (the mormons would say), The Bible doesn't tell us EVERYTHING about God.

Another example is that NOTHING is recorded in The Bible about Jesus NOT being married and having kids... so that too COULD be possible.

Thanks,
Landlover
Last edited by LandLover on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
- LandLover
LandLover

Re: Mormons and Arguments From Silence

Postby drdos on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 pm

and the 144K chosen by the Lamb out of the 12 tribes. They remained virgins for they did not defile themselves with woman. If this is from the Revelation of Jesus Christ then you can rest assured Christ did Not have a wife Nor God the Father. It would be like saying well it doesn't say that God the father isn't a big fat African American woman because it doesn't say anything to the contrary...Oh please(out of a well known blasphemous book)Let's base our knowledge of God on the revelation that he gave us through his written word and The Living Word. If it isn't in there IT Aint... Sorry for my soap box speech, but I had a run in with a Bishop from the local Morman church this past week. I was trying to participate in a job-fare, and it turns out that the local morman church was running it. They wouldn't let me participate in the job-fare unless I listened to their indoctrination... Nope Sorry..
drdos

Postby Jericho on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:50 pm

I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.
But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. (Gal 1:6-8)

We should never go on what we don't know, only what we do know. The scriptures are the litmus test for determining what is true or not. If someone doesn't accept this basic truth, then no amount of arguments will convince them.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby daffodyllady on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:03 pm

The problem with Mormonism is that they do not believe the Bible as much as they believe their special revelations. They believe that the Bible has been translated so much that it has been corrupted...and in the absence of the precise original manuscripts, it is impossible to have a completely trustworthy translation of what God once gave.

Of course, once you approach it from this direction, you realize you are dealing with a completely different religion; one which proclaims to be following the God of the Bible, but in the light of better, superior revelation. And this is the same kind of approach Islam has.

To defeat such religions in debate, one cannot appeal to what scripture does or does not say. Because the opposing party must agree with your premise: that the Bible is completely reliable, above their "special books."

So, you have to resort to extra-biblical appeals to reason and supernatural confirmation... after all, it's the very foundation their religious beliefs rest upon!

Paul used this approach when working with the crowd on Mars Hill. He used their own sages to help them understand truth.

I would encourage you to (humbly!) point out the failed prophecies in the history of the Mormon "church". Also, show them the Satanic foundation of the Masonic Lodge, and from there, the Masonic stuff throughout Mormonism. You have to chip away at their foundations, before they will feel a need for something else.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Return to How to Witness to Various cults and sects