Witnessing to Mormons

Share ways to witness to JW, Mormons, Scientology, and other cults and sects.

Witnessing to Mormons

Postby aaron on Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:59 am

My friend and I were downtown Thurs. night handing out flyers for our church carnival outreach and witnessing as well, and we ran into five young men wearing shirts and ties. They had nifty name tags, and we immediately recognized them as Mormons. I've never really had a chance to witness to them, so I ran after them and asked them what they were all dressed up for. They said they were out witnessing. I said so were we. And there the battle began. My friend had more experience witnessing to Mormons and he was asking them direct questions about the book of Mormon. The Mormons were visibly irritated with these direct questions about their beliefs. They instead seemed to speak more to me, perceiving that I had little knowledge of their beliefs. I spoke primarily to the one holding the book of Mormon and asked him several questions. I focused on what the basis of their faith was. When they die, and they stand before a Holy God and have to answer for their sins, what will be their answer? Incredibly, they gave textbook Christian answers to all my questions. (Don't worry, I didn't convert to Mormonism) :wink:

Why I'm posting this is to open a discussion about people's dealings with these people. After our lengthly discussion with them, I realized they were trying to get Christians to join them. They were deliberately targeting us. Why? I think they lie by not telling the full truth, and deceive and manipulate people into believing them. They start by coming across as Christians. (They told me they were Christians. Lie) Then they speak about a great prophet named Joseph Smith, and what this man did in America. I brought up the last part of revelation ch. 22, where Jesus states:

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

Bottom line is, they had an answer for everything I said, I realized I couldn't get though to them, and that was frustrating. I also know there is a lot more to what they believe, and they don't want people to know those things for some reason. I prayed for them as I walked away, and I know I don't need Joseph Smith, Jesus is and always will be more than enough for me. Amen.
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
-1 Timothy 6:12
aaron

Postby carpentersdaughter on Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:41 am

You were in a tough spiritual battle that goes on all the time.

My husband and I were Mormons, and for thrity some years, we have had a ministry to Mormons.

It's good to know your word first before going into theirs, but you have to know their mindset and what makes them believe what they believe.

These boys have been brainwarshed in the Missionary Training, and the LDS church teaches them how to fight Christians more then anything.

More Baptish convert to Mormonism then any other Christian denomination.

This should tell us that the Baptish church isn't doing it's job of teaching doctrine, so these kind of things don't happen. I grew up Baptish, so I understand how easy it is to get sucked into the LDS faith.

give me a pm. I have a DVD that I can send to you that will help with knowing what they teach.
1 Timothy 4:1 The Spirit clearly says that in the later times some will abondon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.
carpentersdaughter

Postby krw0315 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:13 am

carpentersdaughter wrote:More Baptish convert to Mormonism then any other Christian denomination.

hey, I'm a Batpist, and I resemble that remark! jk :lol:

seriously though, do most Mormons know the "deep truths" of what the LDS "church" teaches? or are most of them, particularly the young missionaries, unaware of the Weirdness in High Places (much like the Masons)?
krw0315

Postby AndCanItBe on Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:36 am

I'm going to move this to the appropriate forum. Thanks!
AndCanItBe

Postby carpentersdaughter on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:10 am

A good majority of Mormons do not know all of what Joseph Smith and brigham Young tought.

Most of the missionaires are raised Mormon and do not know the depth of evil that comes from the LDS teachings.

If you were to sit down and talk to a Mormon, they would say things that sounded totally Christian, and if you didn't know what they meant, you could be fooled into thinking that this is just another denomination.

These teachings come from the father of lies.
1 Timothy 4:1 The Spirit clearly says that in the later times some will abondon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.
carpentersdaughter

Postby krw0315 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:26 am

carpentersdaughter wrote:A good majority of Mormons do not know all of what Joseph Smith and brigham Young tought.

Most of the missionaires are raised Mormon and do not know the depth of evil that comes from the LDS teachings.

If you were to sit down and talk to a Mormon, they would say things that sounded totally Christian, and if you didn't know what they meant, you could be fooled into thinking that this is just another denomination.

These teachings come from the father of lies.

interesting insights... thank you!

btw, why the reference to Baptists as "Baptish"? you used that term multiple times, so I'm thinkin' it wasn't a typo (like my "Batpist", which I noticed after I posted) :)
krw0315

Postby carpentersdaughter on Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:46 pm

It's a typo, just more then once, that's all. Nothing more to it that that.
carpentersdaughter

Postby Aryon on Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:50 pm

I'm glad somebody posted a topic for this. I've been having some discussions with mormon girl at school for awhile now and while I've given her some real things to think about, she consistently closes her ears to anything that might hurt her faith. Now she's wanting me to go to her house and talk to her dad about it, and it scares the heck out of me!
Aryon

Postby studybug on Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:43 am

:armor: Aryon, Praying for you. Let us know if you decide to go talk to her dad. You may want to bring someone else with you. Another strong believer with alot of knowledge of the bible.

Debbie
studybug

Postby Butterfly on Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:16 am

As Aryon's mom I can tell you I'm not thrilled about this. He's a 16 year old boy and these people are hard core mormon. I don't think this is a good idea. I'm not sure I even like it if he takes someone with him. I'm not sure I'm ready for this. This man has been trained to convert others to be a mormon. What do you all think?

Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby carpentersdaughter on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:12 am

The training of missionaries is to brain wash the convert.

The questions they ask are said in such a way that there is only one answer to give. Unless someone knows their technique, they shouldn't get involved UNLESS the person going with them has knowledge of Mormon brainwashing.

It is soooooooo important to know what the mindset is when witnessing to Mormons. If you don't know what the mindset is, you could walk away, saying, gee, we believe the same thing.

Please don't let your boy go. Let him continue to witness to the girl, but should avoid going into this home where the spiritual warfare will be totally against your son. He won't be on safe ground.
carpentersdaughter

Postby Butterfly on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:32 pm

Thank you for confirming this for me Carpentersdaughter. That's pretty much what I thought. I'm proud of him for witnessing to this girl but I really didn't think that going onto their turf was a good idea. I've heard of many people trying to witness to mormons and walking away confused by what they had heard. Again, thank you.

Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby carpentersdaughter on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:55 pm

You are so welcome.
carpentersdaughter

Postby foytik on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:14 am

I had a couple mormons come to my door once, trying to witness. I told them I was a christian and they said You know about the gospel of the bible, but if there was another gospel, wouldn't you want to learn about it too? I told them No, and paraphrased the scripture If anyone preaches another gospel, one that is different from the one that the early church preached, then let him be accursed. We talked for a while after that, I was trying to get them to doubt their Mormon beliefs, but it was not successful.
foytik

Postby carpentersdaughter on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:51 am

You never know how the Holy Spirit is going to use your words. It could be that it was meant just for them or just one of them.

Planting the seed of doubt by showing scripture is always the best.

We are only messengers, the Holy Spirit does the work. You did good.
carpentersdaughter

Postby PerishNot on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:16 pm

I could not find these video's posted here on this site before, so I am sorry if they have already been posted. I found them very usefull. You can view them at the following liks.

The Bible v.s. the Book of Mormon
http://perishnot.com/node/16

And DNA v.s. The Book of Mormon
http://perishnot.com/node/23

Perishnot
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2Pe 3:9
PerishNot

Postby aaron on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks, Perishnot. I'll stop back and check out these videos later.
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
-1 Timothy 6:12
aaron

Postby Aryon on Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:46 pm

I recently had a Latter-Day Saint tell me that it didn't matter what I told them or how convincing it was, because even if there was something in the Bible that completely disproved their religion they would still believe the Book of Mormon was true because of their testimony. How am I supposed to respond to someone who is so totally sure that God has personally told them that the Book of Mormon is true?
Aryon

Postby nickylouse on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Although South Park is one of the most irreverent television shows, their episode about Mormonism left me with this impression:

The little Mormon boy who Stan questioned about his Mormon faith told him in the end that it didn't matter if his religion didn't make any sense because he had a good family life and he was happy enough about that even if Joseph Smith made it all up.

In my opinion, it is the hardest of hearts that embrace a false religion simply because it works.
nickylouse

Postby Swayde on Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 am

Aryon wrote:I recently had a Latter-Day Saint tell me that it didn't matter what I told them or how convincing it was, because even if there was something in the Bible that completely disproved their religion they would still believe the Book of Mormon was true because of their testimony. How am I supposed to respond to someone who is so totally sure that God has personally told them that the Book of Mormon is true?

I would just pray for them. Pray for the scales to be lifted from their eyes and that if you are meant to say anything to them that the Holy Spirit would speak through you whatever it is they need to hear.
~Barbara
Swayde

Re: Witnessing to Mormons

Postby electric on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:46 am

Hello everyone.

Probably one of the best pages you could visit is right here:
http://www.mrm.org/z

Damnable heresies from various mormon publications:

Baptism for the dead, (Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. II, p. 141.) This is a practice of baptizing each other in place of non-Mormons who are now dead. Their belief is that in the afterlife, the "newly baptized" person will be able to enter into a higher level of Mormon heaven.

Jesus and Satan are spirit brothers and we were all born as siblings in heaven to them both, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.)

God used to be a man on another planet, Mormon Doctrine, p. 321. Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333.)

After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god, (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pages 345-347, 354.)

The true gospel was lost from the earth. Mormonism is its restoration, (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 182-185.)

If it had not been for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation. There is no salvation [the context is the full gospel including exaltation to Godhood] outside the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 670.)

"One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation." (Miracle of Forgiveness, Spencer W. Kimball, p. 206.)

There is no salvation without accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, (Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, p. 188.)

http://www.carm.org/lds/lds_doctrines.htm

"Daniel in his seventh chapter speaks of the Ancient of Days; he means the oldest man, our Father Adam, Michael" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 157).
electric

Return to How to Witness to Various cults and sects