Witnessing to Hindus

Share ways to witness to JW, Mormons, Scientology, and other cults and sects.

Witnessing to Hindus

Postby lisa68 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:04 pm

We have several neighbors from India who are Hindu. One couple that we are closest to is so nice - just the nicest people.

But though I have talked about Jesus with them, I notice they kind of just say that is nice and no more. Their little boy has Christian prayer books and they do not seem offended by Jesus or the Bible.

I don't completely understand what they believe, but it seems they beleive in many gods, including THE ONLY GOD, JESUS. They have told us that they do worship ... cows.

Any suggestion on how do we go about witnessing to them?

Thanks!

Lisa
lisa68

Postby Finaldash on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:55 pm

I'm not sure myself how to witness to them.
But a family that owns the business 2 doors down from mine are Hindus.
They have told me that in their belief the end of the world is 2012. Just like the Mayans.
So with our info here on FP which comes pretty close to their timeline might be a good start.

David
Finaldash
Supporting Member

Postby lisa68 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:46 pm

Finaldash,

They have told me that in their belief the end of the world is 2012.

Thanks so much! It's kind of funny because before I got to read your post, we were ran into one of our Hindu neighbors and at the mention of the end days the conversation was over.

We will have to try to bring this up again, in hopes of speaking about the hope of salvation through Jesus!

Thanks again!

Lisa
lisa68

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:14 pm

Lisa, I'll move this to the "How to Witness" forum and perhaps others will have some insights and suggestions.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby lisa68 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:36 am

Thank you!
lisa68

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:49 am

Lisa, this is a tough one! Hinduism has so many beliefs that are at variance with the Word of God that it boggles the mind how to approach them. Among the beliefs I've found are reincarnation, worship of gods and goddesses, yoga, meditation, a denial of the Holy Spirit and a belief that Jesus is a guru or an incarnation of Vishnu. They do not believe that Jesus' death atones for sin or that He rose from the dead.

After doing just a little research, I'm wondering if only a converted Hindu and the Lord Himself could reach them. And we know He could!

Wish I could be of more help. Maybe someone else will have suggestions that will be more helpful!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby carchaser on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:36 pm

You can witness to a hindu, buddhist, atheist, false convert, mormon, jehovah witness, homosexual, catholic, muslim, indian, or who or whatever else in about five minutes.

There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death. Prov. 14:12

Read Psalm 19:7. Read it again. Read it again. I'll post it for you.

"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul" Psalm 19:7

Take them though the Ten Commandments. (Exodus 20)
Ask them if they ever lied.
Ask them if they ever stolen anything reguardless of value.
Ask them if they taken the Lord's name in vain.
Ask them if they ever comitted adultery or lusted. (Matt. 5:27-28)
Ask them if they ever murdered. (1 John 3:15)

Point out James 2:10

For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. James 2:10

And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment. Heb. 9:27

Ask them if they will go to Heaven or Hell.

But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. Rev. 21:8

Make sure they understand the Ten Commandments. If they are humbled then give Grace.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

Tell them they must repent. A perfect example of repentance is found in Psalm 51.

“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”
Mark 1:15

I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.
Luke 13:3

Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3

Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matt. 7:13-14

Then tell them to read their Bible everday without fail and to obey what they read.

As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby 1 Peter 2:2

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Tim. 3:16-17

Two important verses to remember! James 4:6 and Psalm 19:7

Law to the proud, Grace to the humbled!
"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7

carchaser

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:13 pm

Gee, carchaser, that sounds like the WOM technique. I think it's a great one, but having had a number of such discussions with Hindu acquaintences, it just ended up nowhere.

It's difficult (but not impossible) to expect a Hindu to place any value on the Bible when they don't see it as the Holy Word of God that we do. The Hindu's I know are of an ancient sect that believes it's wrong to even kill a bug! They don't worry about death or hell because of their belief in both Karma and Reincarnation. If a person is guilty of what we call "sin", they will be reborn and pay for past sins (bad Karma) by suffering.

I know I sound negative about your (and WOM's) suggestions, but this group of people are very different than say, Jehovah Witnesses who at least will discuss the Bible with you.

Of course, I believe that the Holy Spirit can prepare the heart of anyone to receive the truth and we can still plant a seed that the Lord may send another to water. God can reach anyone's heart and the Hindu is no exception.

Have you ever been successful in witnessing to a Hindu using the Bible as the basis for truths?
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby carchaser on Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:53 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:Gee, carchaser, that sounds like the WOM technique. I think it's a great one, but having had a number of such discussions with Hindu acquaintences, it just ended up nowhere.

It's difficult (but not impossible) to expect a Hindu to place any value on the Bible when they don't see it as the Holy Word of God that we do. The Hindu's I know are of an ancient sect that believes it's wrong to even kill a bug! They don't worry about death or hell because of their belief in both Karma and Reincarnation. If a person is guilty of what we call "sin", they will be reborn and pay for past sins (bad Karma) by suffering.

I know I sound negative about your (and WOM's) suggestions, but this group of people are very different than say, Jehovah Witnesses who at least will discuss the Bible with you.

Of course, I believe that the Holy Spirit can prepare the heart of anyone to receive the truth and we can still plant a seed that the Lord may send another to water. God can reach anyone's heart and the Hindu is no exception.

Have you ever been successful in witnessing to a Hindu using the Bible as the basis for truths?

Yes Abiding, it is a WOM technique but its the same technique Jesus used and it works. We have to remember not to get caught up in an intellectual discussion or any discussion that doesn't involve the Ten Commandments. If we don't talk about the ten commandments we arn't going to bring the knowlege of sin and that is dangerous. That is how false converts are produced. We are to steer clear of the mind and speak on the conscience. (Romans 2:15) The Law brings the knowledge of sin. Nothing else does. You made a good point about the Holy Spirit preparing hearts and that is His job. The Law strips away false beleifs and leaves the sinner helpless. I must disagree with your posts about Hindus being different. They are human we know according to Jeremiah 17:9 that human hearts are deceitful and despretely wicked. Yes they are emmersed in a different beleif system from birth but we have to remember Psalm 19:7. It strips those beleifs away and leaves the sinner helpless.

We did have two former Hindus at our chuch last week. They spoke and it just melted your heart. The missionaries have had mass conversion because their people (the hindus) have never heard of the Gospel much less the Bible. They are fascinated with the parables.

We are to speak the truth in love are we are to slay false teachings with the Word of God. The Law makes Hell make sense. Hebrews 9:27 says that there is judgement after someone dies not reincarnation or rebirth. The Word of God is truth we need to present it no matter what someone else thinks or believes. We can pray and ask God to prepare the Hindu hearts for the Gospel but we have to remember it's God's job to save, water, grow the believer. We just have to plant the seed. Just do it in love. Not everyone incuding Hindus will accept the Gospel and repent. Some will and will regoice in eternity for it!:banana: It pains me to say that those who reject the gospel will pay with eternity. :cry:

As Christian soldiers we must march on with our swords and rightly divide the word of truth and expose the lies of the devil. :armor:

We don't have any Hindus in my area Abiding, I live in Wyoming and theres not many people out here besides rednecks .:lol: But I do know that the Bible and the Law of God are written for us humans!

carchaser

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:07 pm

We just have to plant the seed. Just do it in love

That's exactly what I've done. I've shared the good news of John 3:16.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

I know some may disagree with me, but I personally prefer to share the gospel as I see Jesus said:

Mark 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

I don't dodge the subject of sin, but neither do I begin there. I first share the good news.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mouserpg on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:13 pm

Invite them over for cheeseburgers... wait, nm... that might be a bad idea. But I agree with the gospel.
mouserpg

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:18 pm

mouserpg wrote:Invite them over for cheeseburgers...

:boink:

:mrgreen:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby carchaser on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:44 pm

I don't dodge the subject of sin, but neither do I begin there. I first share the good news.

Ray comfort had something to say about sharing the good news first. To summarize it, Ray basically says that giving good news first doesn't make sense and actually insults people because they don't beleive they did anything wrong. Heres the example he used.

Let say you are a doctor that has a cure for a terrible disease that only you can see. Your patient can't see the disease at all but you know it will kill him. You procede to give him the cure but he's absolutely adament with you that he okay and never been better. Your despretely want to help him but he pushes you away and walks out.

Your cure doesn't make sence because he's unaware of his disease.

If you tell your patient about the symptoms of the disease and ask if he's experience these particular symptoms and he says yes then he begins to realize that he's in trouble and will die soon. Instead of pushing you way he despretaly grabs the cure and injests it so he can live. He's happy, your happy we're all happy!

I'm not attacking you Abiding, but I do have a slight disagreement with you. I know there is a verse somewhere where Paul states that the preaching of the cross is foolishness to those who don't know the commandments. One thing I greatly fear is how I witness to people. If I don't do it the way Jesus did....woe to me! That's just how convicted I am because I know I'll give an account of every word I said.

Thanks for your posts Abiding it definitely got me thinking. I'll pray for lisa68 and her targets so the Holy Spirit will prepare hearts.

carchaser

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:59 pm

carchaser wrote:I'm not attacking you Abiding, but I do have a slight disagreement with you.

In no way do I see disagreement as an attack, carchaser. I welcome other views so I can either learn from them or increase in my confidence in my own view.

I know there is a verse somewhere where Paul states that the preaching of the cross is foolishness to those who don't know the commandments. One thing I greatly fear is how I witness to people. If I don't do it the way Jesus did....woe to me! That's just how convicted I am because I know I'll give an account of every word I said.

See, carchaser, I don't see Jesus witnessing by confronting people with their sins. As I posted in another thread, I see Jesus offering hope, love, living water, the bread of life, etc. Even when he dined with sinners, he was gracious to them and didn't point out their sins or failures. He exuded a love and magnetism that He knew people needed. See how He emphasizes His compassion and the purpose of His coming:

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, Because the LORD has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners.......

I see convicting people of sin is the job of the Holy Spirit.

Joh 16:8 "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me...........

I'll pray for lisa68 and her targets so the Holy Spirit will prepare hearts.

:a3:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby carchaser on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:38 pm

So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’” Mark 10:18-19

We are God's mouth, hands, and feet on earth. When we mention what sin is then the Holy Spirit convicts. The hard heart has to be plowed to make soft soil to plant the seed.

I see the point your trying to make. I think we're almost saying the same thing. When we mention what sin is then the Holy Spirit slowly tears off the blinders of the sinner and rustles their conscience. Conviction of sin and judgement is one of the jobs of the Holy Spirit.

People have their own idea of what sin is but our dispicable human minds fail to understand what it is unless we know what the Law says. When we have our own idea of sin is it's self righteous. Before I was converted I had an idea of what sin what but didn't really know until I was shown the ten commandments and then I was convicted. (Rom 7:7)

Thank you for pointing out John 16:8!

Once the Holy Spirit convicts us of sin then judgment makes sense and so does hell...after that GRACE! KNOWING GOD HAS SAVED US AND CONVERTED US!!! THAT HIS JOB TO! Then we are part of God's family!:hugs:

Oh, www.wayofthemasterradio.com has a picture of a hindu woman and her christian boyfriend and they were witnessed to but I don't know the outcome.

carchaser

Postby lisa68 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:33 am

Abiding - I totally did not think you were being negative! Just to know that you felt it was an unusually difficult situation encouraged me. We have felt like we failed & had not done enough to share Jesus. We have seen that when we talk about the Bible or Jesus - they think Jesus was a good man and a great teacher and they don't mind Bible stories for their child...I guess they see them as lessons on good living so they can be reincarnated as something wonderful. We did know not to bring up the term 'born again' because they tie that into reincarnation. So, it's kind of hard to break through to them that Jesus is the only way.

And I think you were right on the money when you said

After doing just a little research, I'm wondering if only a converted Hindu and the Lord Himself could reach them. And we know He could!

We have found that some of our Hindu neighbors are kind of militant in their beliefs. They made sure to let us know that they still practice their traditional Hindu things, they wear their traditional clothing, and often times speak in their native language - I guess so we don't know what they are saying. They make sure to let us know how educated they are and they have been kind of condescending with us. I can see that the only way they would give credibility would be to another Hindu (convert).

BUT our one neighbor-family is just so nice. Most of the year they have different family members staying with them from India to watch their little boy while they work. Right now the grandparents are here and the grandfather always comes up to us and says something about how he hates President Bush - very liberal views, totally offensive to us, but we just try to respond kindly, but without letting him get away with putting down our country. It turns out this grandfather is very educated and respected in India. He actually takes our books (probably only the liberal ones) and translates them into his language and brings them back to India. His interests seem to really be about Iraq, the arrogance of the US, on & on...

And I am kind of excited that before I read your response about the Hindu/convert possibility. My husband, Tom just happened to have a book by an Indian man who is a Christian. It was about 9/11 and Jihad, but it written by a Hindu who had become a Christian! The other night, we were outside playing with their little boy and ours and the grandfather cornered Tom and started talking about 9/11 and Iraq and all the political stuff. Tom just gave him the book by the former Hindu to read and how funny that it fit right into his interest in 9/11 and stuff.

We haven't seen them since- maybe they were offended. Hopefully with prayer, God will bring a Hindu/Christian Convert into their lives. And we will definitely keep praying for them!

Thanks so much!

lisa

Oh and we did go out to dinner when we first met - not realizing they don't eat beef! They told us that, 'basically we worship cows'.

Wow!
lisa68

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:54 am

lisa68 wrote:We haven't seen them since- maybe they were offended. Hopefully with prayer, God will bring a Hindu/Christian Convert into their lives. And we will definitely keep praying for them!

Just to give you more hope :) I came to the Lord "via" a book (The Cross and the Switchblade") And I was so offended that I literally threw the book across the room and it landed behind the sofa. It stayed there until I moved the sofa to clean and found it. Then I remembered the prayer that was written on the last page and figured "Can't hurt!" That's how I came to Jesus.

I know that steps on a lot of people's "theology", but I was searching and He honored by search.

I will definitely pray for your neighbors!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby David L on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:07 am

I recommend that if you are serious about witnessing to anyone of another religion that you study what they believe thoroughly so that the Spirit can reveal to you what you should say and how you should say it.

I recommend the following book by Ed Decker and Ron Carlson Fast Facts on False Teachings

It is very easy to understand and presents quick facts about the religion followed by scriptural refutation which will easily put you in a position to share the gospel. I do not recommend a direct approach to anything other than trying to develop a relationship or some sort of connection first to gain their confidence and trust. That is usually how I witness to people of other faiths and have found it to be effective...
"We were educated thoroughly on Islam 9/11" - joymart

"Thus says the Lord GOD, 'This is Jerusalem; I have set her at the center of the nations, with lands around her. Ezekiel 5:5
David L

Postby lisa68 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:27 am

Thanks so much! We are going to be going to the zoo together in a couple weeks- so we will just keep praying and believing - and trusting God for the right words (and when to just keep quiet, too). No word on what the grandpa thought about the book, but hopefully it will have the same effect that the Cross and the Switchblade did on Abiding!

We have had a strange thing happen with our little boy.

He's only 3 and the other night told me he saw our Hindu neighbor boys' grandpa outside. I didn't see anyone. I asked him how he knew it was his grandpa and he told me he was wearing all white and had a white beard and he was outside looking at the trees. There was definitely no one out there. It happened one other time and that time he said that the man with the white beard was making a motion with his hand (kind of looked like 'rock, paper, scissors' without the motions. Not sure what that means or if it is anything other than a childs imagination or possibly that he may have heard us talking, but we were encouraged by the possibility that it might be something from God.

Thanks again!

God bless & Happy 4th of July!

lisa
lisa68

Postby Vigilantius on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:46 am

David L wrote:I recommend that if you are serious about witnessing to anyone of another religion that you study what they believe thoroughly so that the Spirit can reveal to you what you should say and how you should say it.

I recommend the following book by Ed Decker and Ron Carlson Fast Facts on False Teachings

It is very easy to understand and presents quick facts about the religion followed by scriptural refutation which will easily put you in a position to share the gospel. I do not recommend a direct approach to anything other than trying to develop a relationship or some sort of connection first to gain their confidence and trust. That is usually how I witness to people of other faiths and have found it to be effective...

Fantastic book!! Can't say enough about it. Also, Kingdom of the Cults by Walter Martin. I have the version that was edited by Hank Haanegraff (sp), but there is also one edited by Ravi Zacharias.
Vigilantius
Supporting Member

Return to How to Witness to Various cults and sects