How to witness to a "christian"

Share ways to witness to JW, Mormons, Scientology, and other cults and sects.

How to witness to a "christian"

Postby geauxsaints on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:59 pm

Most of the people that I come in contact with say they already are a "christian" and for some time that has really stumped me. They say that they are christian but their lifestyle doesn't reflect that. What would be a good way to share with someone like that? This is the type of person I usually encounter on a day to day basis.

suggestions will be greatly appreciated and overused by me :mrgreen:
geauxsaints

Postby Gracie2 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:48 am

If you go over to http://www.freeCDtracts.com there are some excellent CDs and videos over there for Christians and non Christians and lukewarm Christians alike....maybe something over there will wake them up.....
Gracie2

Postby perigrini on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:41 am

I highly recommend this site and their methodology...

https://www.wayofthemaster.com/

I know there are a number on this board who are knowledgeable about these guys...they're the real deal.

Blessings,

perigrini
perigrini

Postby AndCanItBe on Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:42 am

I usually respond with "And what does being a Christian mean?" It gets the ball rolling. When they answer "Well, I'm a Baptist, Catholic, etc." or "They sprinkled water on me when I was little." or "I've been to church before" or "I try to live by the rules and be good", it's you're opening to tell them what it really means.
AndCanItBe

Postby Vigilantius on Wed May 02, 2007 1:42 am

perigrini wrote:I highly recommend this site and their methodology...

I know there are a number on this board who are knowledgeable about these guys...they're the real deal.

Blessings,

perigrini

:a3: The "Way of the Master" is all about witnessing to people the way that Jesus did. He gave the law the proud and grace to the humble.

It shows us how exceedingly sinful we are and why we actually need a/the Savior. Compare that with methods used in the modern witnessing encounters... ex: "God has a wonderful plan for your life", "Do you want assurance that you will go to Heaven?", "do you have a God-shaped hole in your heart?", "Ask Jesus into your heart", etc, etc.

These types of motives produce a lot of false converts who often become so embittered towards Christianity and any religion that they never come back. The key is to witness to them like Jesus did, not with these unbiblical, modern day techniques.
Vigilantius
Supporting Member

Postby gogo242 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:29 pm

perigrini wrote:I highly recommend this site and their methodology...

Blessings,

perigrini

:a3:

I love Ray and Kirk...I attribute to them my realization that I needed Jesus. Without hearing Kirk break it down in terms could understand I'd still be lost.
gogo242
Supporting Member

Re: How to witness to a "christian"

Postby ruotsher on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:07 pm

geauxsaints wrote:Most of the people that I come in contact with say they already are a "christian" and for some time that has really stumped me. They say that they are christian but their lifestyle doesn't reflect that. What would be a good way to share with someone like that? This is the type of person I usually encounter on a day to day basis.

The greatest cause of *aethism* is Christians who claim "Him" with their lips, but deny "Him" with their lifestyle.........that is what an unbelieving world finds simply unbelievable...........
ruotsher

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 pm

A couple of times, I've said "Isn't it amazing how different life is now compared to how it used to be before we were saved?" "How differently we see things?"

They know nothing is different in their lives. I'm hoping that opens a conversation and it will if they are interested and have a hunger for the things of God. At least hopefully it makes them curious about my life-changing experience.

I think of Jesus' loving mannerisms when he approached those who had a void or a problem in their lives. I don't see Him "confronting" people with their sins except for the Pharisee-types. He knew those who were hungering and thirsting and presented living water and bread from heaven. He told them that they would never hunger or thirst if they believed in Him. He gave hope to those who were sad, hopeless, and lost.

I like to approach people with the answers they need for here and now as most can't think beyond today when they are weighted down with depression and problems. I know that if they can be reached for today's problems, they will be ultimately saved for eternity.

just my thoughts.....
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Vigilantius on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:54 am

ruotsher wrote:
geauxsaints wrote:Most of the people that I come in contact with say they already are a "christian" and for some time that has really stumped me. They say that they are christian but their lifestyle doesn't reflect that. What would be a good way to share with someone like that? This is the type of person I usually encounter on a day to day basis.

The greatest cause of *aethism* is Christians who claim "Him" with their lips, but deny "Him" with their lifestyle.........that is what an unbelieving world finds simply unbelievable...........

"What if I stumble? What if I fall? What if I lose my step and make fools of us all?"
Vigilantius
Supporting Member

Postby David L on Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:31 am

^^

I am almost certain that she was making reference to those who willfully go on practicing sin openly without any conviction.
"We were educated thoroughly on Islam 9/11" - joymart

"Thus says the Lord GOD, 'This is Jerusalem; I have set her at the center of the nations, with lands around her. Ezekiel 5:5
David L

Postby ruotsher on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:18 am

Vigilantius wrote:
ruotsher wrote:

"What if I stumble? What if I fall? What if I lose my step and make fools of us all?"

hee-hee! I love that song and CD!!
ruotsher

Postby Vigilantius on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:03 am

Me too... that was the first Christian album that I bought. 9 years before getting truly saved!
Vigilantius
Supporting Member

Postby nickylouse on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:25 pm

AndCanItBe wrote:I usually respond with "And what does being a Christian mean?" It gets the ball rolling. When they answer "Well, I'm a Baptist, Catholic, etc." or "They sprinkled water on me when I was little." or "I've been to church before" or "I try to live by the rules and be good", it's you're opening to tell them what it really means.

I agree with that. Instead of loading them up with what they have probably already heard, first take time to understand what it is that they believe. Maybe these people just need to bring what they know is true out into the open to come to repentance.

Or if they are deceived in their thinking, your discerning and loving heart will be able to pick up on that to help them understand the truth. Be warned though that they may turn against you and call you intolerant or judgmental. If it is not God's perfect timing, then nothing you do can make them believe. However, I believe God wants for us to be there to observe the regeneration of others' hearts and He puts us in the right place at the right time to reap a harvest that someone else probably sowed.

So be encouraged.
nickylouse

Return to How to Witness to Various cults and sects