Mormons?

Share ways to witness to JW, Mormons, Scientology, and other cults and sects.

Mormons?

Postby studybug on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:26 pm

I live on a street with many mormon families, my youngest son plays with one of their boys. Actually, they are great friends. Fortunatly ds asks alot of questions when he hears things from them that confuses him. I have had to clear up a few things the other boy has said.

Any ideas on how to witness?

Thanks
Debbie
studybug

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:31 pm

Debbie, Just keep arming your son with the truth. Also, listen to what he asks you about your faith, it may reveal some of the confusion he may encounter, then you can explain to him where it falls short of God's word. :grin:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 pm

Witnessing to Mormons - from an ex-mormon's perspective

Discernment: Mormonism

Postby studybug on Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:35 am

Great website, Thanks
studybug

Postby Weakling on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:32 pm

I live in Salt Lake City. Believe it or not there are a lot of Mormons here.
:lol:
I havn't read the book yet but my son just finished a small group study on it with his youth group. The book is called I Love Mormons.
http://www.amazon.com/Love-Mormons-Christ-Latter-day-Saints/dp/0801065224
My son and his pastor said it was a very good study.

There is also a born again believer on local tv here who was raised Mormon. He has an interesting website. He is passionate at winning the lost in the Mormon church.
http://www.bornagainmormon.com/
Hope that helps
Weakling

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Good seeing you again, Weakling! Haven't seen you around much lately!

:hugs:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby David L on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Top 10 Amazing Facts of Mormonism

1. Mormons can become gods and goddesses.

2. Goddesses will spend eternity in full submission to their god-husband.

3. Mormon women will give birth “forever and ever” to spirit-babies.

4. Mormon men can have multiple wives in heaven—eternal polygamy.

5. Heavenly Father is an exalted man who lives with his goddess wife, Heavenly Mother, on a planet near the great star Kolob.

6. American Indians are descendants of the wicked Lamanites, who were Israelites that God cursed with dark skin.

7. God the Father had sex with Mary to conceive Jesus, who is the half brother of Lucifer.

8. All Christian churches are an abomination.

9. Mormons need 4 secret handshakes to get into the Celestial heaven.

10. Joseph Smith revealed that the actual Garden of Eden is in Jackson County, Missouri.
"We were educated thoroughly on Islam 9/11" - joymart

"Thus says the Lord GOD, 'This is Jerusalem; I have set her at the center of the nations, with lands around her. Ezekiel 5:5
David L

Postby Abiding in His Word on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Wow, David L! Thanks for posting that list. When you see their beliefs in a list like that, they are so clearly not scriptural. I'll visit the link you posted.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby studybug on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:50 am

Weakling,
Thanks so much for the information....very helpful and I definitly want to get the book. Maybe several of them to leave with my momon neighbors!
studybug

Postby FreeInHim on Tue May 01, 2007 4:59 pm

DVD challenges Mormons to take closer look at their beliefs

Posted on Apr 30, 2007 | by Dustin McNab

EDITORS' NOTE: A two-part series, "The Mormons," will be shown on PBS tonight and Tuesday, April 30 and May 1. The following two stories report on some of the various efforts to reach Mormons with the Gospel.

SALT LAKE CITY (BP)--The "Jesus Christ/Joseph Smith" DVD distributed across Utah and other parts of the country this spring was intended to be upsetting, the co-director of the DVD said.

"I was offended when I was told these same things when I was a Mormon," Randy Gavin said.

"The reverence I held for Joseph Smith kept me from taking a critical look at him," Gavin said. "If you're going to trust your salvation to something, you need to take a critical look at it."

The DVD has elicited responses from within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in other religious circles. An LDS news release said the church has weathered similar attacks throughout its history and is not surprised that groups are trying to restrain its growth. The Anti-Defamation League, meanwhile, condemned the DVD in a news release as the same kind of "plain, old-fashioned Mormon-bashing" various groups have been "spewing" for more than 25 years.

"Hate directed at any of us is hate directed at all of us. From whomever that hate comes, and to whomever it's directed, ADL takes it very seriously and will continue to speak out against it," ADL Regional Board Chair David Bodney added.

Gavin, however, mentions Jesus' teachings in John 6:54-61 as one of his guidelines for the DVD, comparing the disciple's distressed reaction to Jesus' teaching of eating His flesh and drinking His blood to the reaction some Mormons will have to the DVD challenging their faith.

"They're going to be offended," Gavin said. They will investigate the DVD's claims, he said, and likely will become mad over various biblical falsehoods inherent to Mormonism.

"That's what I went through, as well as other people I've talked to," Gavin said. "If I had never been offended, I would have never known."

The ultimate goal of the DVD, Gavin said, is to "reach Mormons with the truth of who God is." The DVD attempts to do that by addressing Smith -- the "epicenter of Mormonism," Gavin said -- and explaining how "his doctrines of God contradict God's revelation." The DVD also attempts to show how Smith's later revelations contradict the doctrines taught in the Book of Mormon.

The LDS church declined a request for an official response to the content of the DVD.

Planning for the DVD began in September 2005 by Gavin and Floyd McElveen, author of "The Mormon Illusion," along with LaBarge Media, the New York-based group that produced it. The project grew by word of mouth into what Gavin described as the largest known outreach to Mormons ever.

"This would not have happened without the sacrifice of time, effort and money of thousands of Christians," Gavin said.

The distribution is still not done. Gavin said 700,000 DVDs will be sent out worldwide over the next few months and a Spanish version is being planned. Numerous churches have requested DVDs to distribute in their community. A key challenge remains securing the funding and volunteers needed for the distribution.

"This is a lot of seed planting," said Lisa Kiltz, volunteer administrative assistant for the DVD project, "and [its impact] depends on where people are in the chain of events God has orchestrated in their lives."

Hundreds of volunteers across Utah hung the DVDs on doorknobs March 25 in white plastic bags that said "Good News for LDS."

http://bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=25538
FreeInHim

Postby burch13 on Thu May 10, 2007 5:17 pm

I listen to Glenn Beck in the morning usually. By the way, he is a mormon, which seems to be a fact that he has not highly discussed until recently he has really talked about it. Because of Romney running for Pres. I like his radio show, because he talks about some interesting topics and adds a bit of humor for good measure.
But lately he has really been beating on his mormon drum, saying things like it was his choice, and he really did a lot of research on the mormon church before joining etc...
I have always known a lot of strange beliefs come from the Mormon church, but glenn really got my curiosity aroused because anytime someone will call into his show and challenge him saying that mormons are not really Christian he just cuts them off and says thank you for calling in but let's just agree to disagree. He also mentioned the other day about a book called Mormons for Dummies.
So I stopped into the bookstore the other day and skimmed through it, the mormon church is so far off base from anything that even resembles Christian beliefs I just was absolutely amazed.
First they believe that each man is responsible for his own sin and not born into sin because of Adam. They believe that when Adam & Eve were first set on this earth they were in spirit form and they had to make the choice to eat the fruit to become flesh so that they could have children.
I could go on and on here because in my spirit I have really thought and battled with this lately.
The biggest thing that sets them apart from us as christian believers is that they don't really believe that Jesus dieing for our sins and being raised from the dead is all that big of a deal. They believe since we aren't born into sin that we make it to heaven more by living as Christ did. In other words the fact that he lived a sinless life is the deal breaker for them. Not Christ's actual sacrifice. So whether he died and rose from the dead or not isn't even an issue for them.
Let me put it this way, mormons are no more Christian than Muslims are Jewish. Muslims claim Abraham and all his blessings. And Mormons claim Jesus this and Jesus that, but their whole belief is nothing more than a twisted version of scripture, it wreaks of convenient truths and witchcraft.
In fact I would go so far as to say that mormons and muslims would be more a like than anything. They both have a major prophet, who was visited by an "angel" that revealed to them the truth on golden tablets. Which became their koran and book of mormon.
The biggest thing here is that prophets of the old testament never brought a different version or a newer version of God's word. They only brought the truth and a word of repent or else.
I better stop or I might continue to write forever.
burch13

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 10, 2007 5:34 pm

Good post Burch!!!!!!!
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby carchaser on Thu May 10, 2007 7:35 pm

Thump them with way of the master! Let them answer the tough questions for a change. Satan is trying to lead you astray. Present the only true gospel to them. Just stay grounded in the Word and only in the Word. :armor:
"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul." Psalm 19:7

carchaser

Postby FreeInHim on Tue May 15, 2007 6:30 pm

I've talked till I'm blue in the face to Mormons, presenting them with really, really simple ways to challenge the veracity of their "prophet," Joe Smith. After all, he's the founder of that cult. Prove him false and that whole house of cards collapses.

It's the same result every time. They absolutely will not seriously read the facts because it's so critical to their world to continue believing in the lies. This cult goes after the family. Roughly 60% of Sunday meetings are spent promoting, almost deifying, family. They also keep members so busy with "callings" that typically the church and family take up about 90% of a member's time. Furthermore, they're encouraged to do business with one another over and above business with non-Mormons.

To even consider reading anything "anti"-Mormon, that might cause your faith to falter, would be to risk losing everything; family, friends, and business associates. This is too great a hazard for most Mormons, who are comfortable in the teaching that they alone belong to the "one, true church of God."
FreeInHim

Postby member x on Wed May 16, 2007 1:14 pm

FreeInHim wrote:I've talked till I'm blue in the face to Mormons, presenting them with really, really simple ways to challenge the veracity of their "prophet," Joe Smith. After all, he's the founder of that cult. Prove him false and that whole house of cards collapses.

It's the same result every time. They absolutely will not seriously read the facts because it's so critical to their world to continue believing in the lies. This cult goes after the family. Roughly 60% of Sunday meetings are spent promoting, almost deifying, family. They also keep members so busy with "callings" that typically the church and family take up about 90% of a member's time. Furthermore, they're encouraged to do business with one another over and above business with non-Mormons.

To even consider reading anything "anti"-Mormon, that might cause your faith to falter, would be to risk losing everything; family, friends, and business associates. This is too great a hazard for most Mormons, who are comfortable in the teaching that they alone belong to the "one, true church of God."

Walter Martin (the former Bible Answer Man) has a great teaching on how to reach Mormons and JW's.

In a nutshell, he states it is pointless to bring Joseph Smith and false prophecies to the forefront - it is a waste of time and energy...at least until some ground work has been established.

He suggests (this is high level, if anyone is interested, I have started to compile a write-up - just need to finish)

Both JW's and Mormons view the King James bible as inerrant and the word of God - so agree to discuss from that version of the Bible - they will not argue with you.

From the KJV-

1. establish there is a God - and God is one.
2. establish that the Father is God
3. establish there is a son
4. establish the Son is God
5. establish the Holy Spirit as God

points 1-3 will be easy and agreed upon. point 4 is easy to make and should really drive the issue home - and point 5 puts it over the top.

once you have established this - then you can start to question Joseph Smith and the like. They will be on shakey ground and more apt to begin to question themselves.

One aspect to not forget though - is we must realize what this means to the person - they will be cut off from their church community - possibly family etc. there is a great deal of fear and persecution that is in front of them...be considerate of that - it is a process - the most evident thing we can offer is our love and patience.
member x
Supporting Member

Postby FreeInHim on Wed May 16, 2007 5:26 pm

Hi Member X.....I always appreciate your input. :grin:

I have to disagree with Mr. Martin's assessment that Mormons view the King James Bible as the inerrant Word of God. They regard the Bible more as a string of historic journals. Yes, God's influence saw to it's creation and preservation, but it's accuracy is questionable. It's recognized as a holy book only "insofar as it is translated correctly." This one stipulation is the giant loophole they use to discredit the inerrant aspect of the Bible, as they accept and promulgate Joe Smith's teaching that the Bible is fraught with mistakes. It is widely known that if given a choice between which book represents truth the best, a Latter Day Saint will choose the Book of Mormon over the Bible every time.

Point #4, then, is impossible to impress upon a Mormon, since their church teaches that Joe Smith was personally shown by God that He and His Son, Jesus, are two separate entities. Since Joe "corrected" parts of the Bible for his followers, his word is held in higher esteem than the Bible.

Planting the seed of doubt in the heart of a Mormon regarding their founding prophet, rather than debating the reality of the trinity, would seem to be more effective in helping them recognize the lies they follow. Just my opinion, though, since I've yet to succeed as far as I know (unless my posts in an apologetic forum I used to frequent worked). :dunno:
FreeInHim

Postby member x on Tue May 29, 2007 3:13 pm

FreeInHim wrote:Hi Member X.....I always appreciate your input. :grin:

I have to disagree with Mr. Martin's assessment that Mormons view the King James Bible as the inerrant Word of God. They regard the Bible more as a string of historic journals. Yes, God's influence saw to it's creation and preservation, but it's accuracy is questionable. It's recognized as a holy book only "insofar as it is translated correctly." This one stipulation is the giant loophole they use to discredit the inerrant aspect of the Bible, as they accept and promulgate Joe Smith's teaching that the Bible is fraught with mistakes. It is widely known that if given a choice between which book represents truth the best, a Latter Day Saint will choose the Book of Mormon over the Bible every time.

Point #4, then, is impossible to impress upon a Mormon, since their church teaches that Joe Smith was personally shown by God that He and His Son, Jesus, are two separate entities. Since Joe "corrected" parts of the Bible for his followers, his word is held in higher esteem than the Bible.

Planting the seed of doubt in the heart of a Mormon regarding their founding prophet, rather than debating the reality of the trinity, would seem to be more effective in helping them recognize the lies they follow. Just my opinion, though, since I've yet to succeed as far as I know (unless my posts in an apologetic forum I used to frequent worked). :dunno:

FreeInHim-
thanks for the kind words. :)
sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.
i could be mixing up my studies - i have done more reading on the JW's than i have the mormons, and i could be (mistakenly) lumping them together.

i would agree with your points, if they already undermine the inerrancy of the Bible, it is incredibly difficult to find common ground.

you might check out walter martins write-ups on mormons:
http://www.waltermartin.org/jehwit.html#diety

like i said, i may have mixed up some details, but martin has some great insights.

hope all is well!
member x
Supporting Member

Postby David L on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:50 am

The Mormon Scrap Book

..sixth item down on the page about $15 and an excellent tool for equipping yourself to witness to Mormons.
"We were educated thoroughly on Islam 9/11" - joymart

"Thus says the Lord GOD, 'This is Jerusalem; I have set her at the center of the nations, with lands around her. Ezekiel 5:5
David L

Postby studybug on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:03 pm

That book looks very interesting. Is that site the only place I can order from?

Thanks for the information.
studybug

Postby bok on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:11 pm

Answers to my Mormon Friends is an AMAZING rebuttal tool and the entire book is available online for FREE, or in hard copy for under $5.
bok
Supporting Member

Postby harpazo hope on Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:45 am

I am also in Utah. I agree with using the simple gospel and only straying from that occasionally when led by the Holy Spirit. They are sinners and need a Saviour. They must be tired trying to be good enough.

I do usually bring up Isaiah 43:10 and all the supporting verses surrounding that one if their doctrines come up.

Isaiah 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Also... their book of Mormon disproves most everything they believe, and they claim it's the fullness of the gospel. I ask missionaries to show me from the BoM that we can become a god or that God was once a man. They always come back with the doctrine and covenants... NOT the "fullness of the gospel."

Here's a quote from the Book of Mormon:

Moroni 8:18. For I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity

I've found most mormons I talk to here in Utah don't even know what their church teaches. That's why I avoid all the doctrinal issues except the becoming a god one. The enemy used that lie in the beginning so I think it's worth addressing. You will also be completely tuned out and accused of "bashing" if you get into all their weird teachings.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received, that Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures,
1Co 15:4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures;

We are not trying to get them out of mormonism... we are trying to bring them to Jesus. Leading a mormon out of mormonism and not leading them to the One who can heal them from the years of deception is dangerous. So focus on Jesus and what He did for them!
"I won't be satisfied until my form of godliness requires God."
GS Megaphone
harpazo hope

Return to How to Witness to Various cults and sects