Francis Bacon

This forum is for questions about Europe and the European Union. The questions are for Farmer only. One poster per thread please.

Francis Bacon

Postby 4givenmuch on Wed May 14, 2008 9:02 pm

[url/ = http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03690.html =url]

hey Farmer, I wondered what your insights might be on this painting by Francis Bacon. the last picture almost looks like at pig? or baby? I know JS mom was a FAN of the man, just wondered if you had any input.

Thanks for all you do!

4givenmuch
Seek Humility!
4givenmuch
Supporting Member

Postby farmer on Thu May 15, 2008 8:30 pm

"The bidding for "Triptych, 1976" rocketed past an estimate of $70 million for the painting, which is full of symbolism and draws on ancient Greek mythology." your link

Bacon, who died in 1992 at 82 in Madrid, Spain, is considered one of Britain's most important 20th century artists. Francis Bacon (28 October 1909 – 28 April 1992) was an Irish-born figurative painter. He was a collateral descendant of the Elizabethan philosopher Francis Bacon. His artwork is known for its bold, austere, and often grotesque or nightmarish imagery.

Nieves Mathews de Madariaga was a fan of the Elizabethean Bacon, not of this painter,...but you are right, Francis Bacon definitly deserves a closer look, I've even already planned an article on him...
Thanks!
Björn
farmer

Postby 4givenmuch on Thu May 15, 2008 8:54 pm

Thanks for the clairification. The painting was, well, shocking, and I wondered what might be behind it. Seems like a LOT of money for this economy.

I look forward to your article.
Seek Humility!
4givenmuch
Supporting Member

Return to Ask Björn (Farmer)