New Permanent President of EU

This forum is for questions about Europe and the European Union. The questions are for Farmer only. One poster per thread please.

New Permanent President of EU

Postby RomaLynnStar on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:27 am

Say Farmer, I know I should understand this better but.

What effect do you see with the president of the european union having a permanent position rather than this rotating six month one they have now.

And does it give any more powers in the presidency that they now have. Will this supersede Solana's position??

thanks
RomaLynnStar

Postby farmer on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:48 am

Hey RomaLynnStar,
me happy to have a task!

"In place of the rotating presidency, under which member states take six-month turns at the helm, a president of the European Council (which comprises the 27 European leaders) will be elected by the leaders to a two-and-a-half-year term. The rotation system will be retained for the councils of ministers (finance, agriculture, etc.)" (farmer: = Council of the European Union, GS here also: Solana)
The president will prepare summits and represent the European Union on the world stage without, hopefully, treading on the toes of the new "High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy".
http://www.eubusiness.com/news_live/1192759327.41

Roma,
the new created position of the president will be more a formal one.
The President gives the EU a "face" and is a representative figure. One with whom you can "drink champaign" and who "walks the red carpets"
In Germany we have a similar system: a President and a Prime Minister.
Do you know the name of the German President? It's Horst Köhler. He has no direct influence in the daily politics. But he is the highest person in the State. Do you know Angela Merkel? Of course. She is the one with the real power - in an "action post" as Prime Minister. No, the new President will be also elected for just 2,5 years. The Secretary General of the Council (since 1999 Solana) is elected for 5 years (Solana now in his 2.term). So I think the new post will not create new powers, but more continuity in the the general outline. That's all.

By the way - your question came up also in an interview with Solana in October 2004 (when they were about to sign that first constitution in Rome):

"SPIEGEL: The new constitution also creates a position that could end up competing with yours, that of the permanent president of the Council. This person would represent the EU to the rest of the world.

Solana: Yes, but also at the level of the head of state and government.

SPIEGEL: A man for shaking hands?

Solana: That is also the case today. During EU summit meetings with other countries, the presiding chairman of the Council is accompanied by the president of the EU Commission and myself. I will do what a foreign minister does."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spi ... 99,00.html

Björn
Questions about Europe and the European Union?
Don't hesitate to ask me here at FP: "Ask Björn (Farmer)"
http://fulfilledprophecy.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=52
farmer

Postby RomaLynnStar on Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:25 pm

Thanks a lot farmer, I knew you would know the answer to this one.

I think I probably read that at one time, but forgot.
RomaLynnStar

Postby Hanani45 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:08 am

Hi Farmer, can I add a question to this thread?

If the EU President is a figurehead, but there's not really an executive head of government for Europe, does that make Solana as "foreign minister" and "vice-president" the de facto head of European government?

In other words, will he have all the power the President doesn't have?

Bless you,
Hanani
Hanani45

Postby farmer on Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:24 am

You expressed that in a very nice way. Of course he himself would point also to the fact that he would have to ask the member states and that its totally democratic and that its foreseen in treaty that he should serve...yadayada
farmer

Postby farmer on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 pm

"I don't think he wants it, a retired diplomat told me.
This peer, who worked with Tony Blair, is a good judge of the European game.
The problem with the new post of president of the European Council, he said, is that it comes third in the pecking order,
behind the President of the Commission, currently Jose Manuel Barroso (farmer: 2004-2009),
and the Foreign Affairs supremo, likely to be Javier Solana,
who already holds half the post."
"The bare bones of the job are in the Lisbon Treaty, which cannot be changed and is likely to be ratified by the end of this year (Irish voters permitting). But the detailed rules, which are likely to be written later this year, will be drawn up in such a way as to suit the existing holders of the top jobs, Barroso and Solana."

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 82510.html
farmer

Return to Ask Björn (Farmer)