"On That Day" - a short story

No opposing arguments allowed

"On That Day" - a short story

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:38 am

"On that day there will be no light, no cold or frost. It will be a unique day,
without daytime or nighttime—a day known to the LORD.
When evening comes, there will be light.
On that day living water will flow out from Jerusalem,
half to the eastern sea and half to the western sea,
in summer and in winter.
The LORD will be king over the whole earth.
On that day there will be one LORD, and his name the only name."

- Zechariah 14:6-9

On that Day

The story begins with an aerial view from the west towards a large city sloped against a high mountain range on it's east side. Imagine some deep instrumental music as the scene draws closer in through the city and then sloping up to a central mountain. The visual draws even closer through a series of roads lined with colorful trees. As the music fades the scene closes in on a hidden cave. We are drawn closer in, to the entrance of the cave with a large open area inside where there are families gathering together in the center, preparing to share a meal with each other. In this scene the members of these families have their heads bowed and are giving thanks for the provisions from the Lord. One of the family members prays "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you so very much for providing this safe place for us to rest, thank you for this meal and for all the wonderful friends we have here. As we share our stories of hope in your Son's returning for us in the midst of such difficult times, may it bring you joy. In Jesus name, amen."

Music is softly playing as the families share a simple meal together, their dialog is somewhat inaudible until. One of the dads, Daniel, stands up and says "I have grown weary of hiding here all these months and would like so very much for all of us to have a day of freedom in the city park. I don't care if they find us there, I just am so tired of worrying about all this. I have been praying about it and I believe that the Spirit of the Lord is leading us to this specific park in the city, you know the one by the big graveyard? Tomorrow just may be that special day we have been praying for and talking about. Who's with us?" Unanimously, everyone agreed and believed God was leading them every step of the way, moment by moment, they believed as one, that God is here with them now, and will be in their tomorrows. "We're in." "Us too." "Don't leave us out." another family replied. So Daniel said "Okay, in the morning we go down the mountain to the city, and give God the glory as we worship Him in having fun at the park." As all the others are off to prepare for the journey, alone Daniel whispers a prayer.

"Dear God, be merciful and protect us, we trust you, we always have, and we always will."
Tevye

Re: "On That Day" - a short story

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:47 am

Now at this point of the story we move down the mountain towards the big city and are introduced to another family. They live comfortably in a suburban housing development. Both parents have well paying jobs and their two children are very engaged at the local public school. As their work day draws to a close the mom picks the children up from school and they head over to meet dad at the local super-mart for groceries. As Saul sat in his car waiting for his family, he thought to himself. "The parking area is packed today, as there are plenty of in-store specials for all who are participants in the New Global Initiative, the NGI as the members like to call it. It was a fresh start the day the New Global Government had opened the New Free Market and grocery stores worldwide locked in to the new purchasing system. It's not much of a purchasing system really, as it is based on a system of credits we earn and are freely given by acts of obedience to the NGG. The NGI had provided that there would be no other way then this to buy or to sell what people need to live and survive on. Months ago, after the end of the short lived world war III, as some had called it, the NGI system began as a test for improving the global economy, and by golly it worked. The new free market system thrived as millions worldwide freely traded their cash in and accepted a simple and discreet barcode tattoo engraved on either their right hand or forehead. There were so many options available, it was almost unbelievable. The barcodes came in different color inks and even in an ink that was only visible under the light of a barcode scanner. It was so amazing to see how people from all walks of life and cultures flocked out to the NGI centers, under the promise of a change that would bring about freedom for all and prosperity in ways we never imagined. It was as if all the things we ever dreamed about were now coming true." Saul smiled as he watched his wife's car getting closer and then thought quietly. 'Well, there's my family, I suppose I better wake up from this dream and go shopping, we need to get home and make dinner, it's been a long day."
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:56 am

"Dan, my dear." his loving wife Clarissa cried. "it's been so long since we first saw the early flowers of Spring. Do you think there may still be some flowers in the park for us to pick?" "You're right my love, it's been almost six months now and I know that's a long time for you to be without fresh flowers." They both softly laughed and held each others hands tightly. "Tomorrow's journey just may be a perfect day." Daniel said gently. "I just heard on the state radio network that they will start searching the mountains tomorrow night for Christians who are fugitives of the NGI." Clarissa replied in a soft whisper. "Then maybe they won't look for us right in the heart of the city. I imagine they would be thinking, why would any Christian in their right mind be at spiritual ground zero?" "Yes, that's just what I would imagine too." Daniel said with a smile. "Let's rest for a while, for tomorrow has enough worries of it's own."

The first light of morning flowed over the mountain range, and this dawn, was like no other. "Samuel, good morning." Dan called through the trees. "Would ya look at that beautiful sky. Have you ever seen such amazing colors in your whole life?" Samuel replied with, "Well Dan there was that time we went fishing before all the turmoil began, but no, nothing like this, today must be a very special day, indeed." "I agree Sam, it's going to be a day to remember, for sure! I think we should pack lightly, so as to not draw attention to ourselves, I just have this feeling, we're not going to need to take so much with us today. Sam, I believe it would be better if we leave the mountain sooner than later."
"Getting that hunted feeling again Dan?" "Yeah, I think so Sam, I think so."
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:02 am

"Dad, come on I'm hungry, when are those pancakes gonna be ready?" Saul's firstborn son yelled from the TV room. "Soon, son, soon. Don't you worry your pointed little head, there going to be fabulous." "Oh dad that is so old school, you're showing your age." "Well son with two kids and all this overtime at work, it's no wonder I'm getting so old." They both laughed so hard and wrestled each other to the floor. "Okay boys." Mom said. "Why is there not a cup of coffee in my hand?" "Right away dear, your the light of my mornin' and always will be. The best part of wakin' up, for sure." She replied swiftly, "Saul your going to be late for work if you keep that sappiness up. Well, you go ahead and be as late as you want, I love it! And I love you too." Jennifer loved her husband and son so much, she prays for them privately every night. She knows that one day they may part ways, and how hard it's been for her to hide her spiritual identity, while not accepting the NGI mark. She fears that Saul may try to persuade her to get one if he ever found out. "Saul dear. Jenny cried, I don't feel so well today, can you take the day off and maybe we could go outside and get some fresh air together." She could sense there was something special about today. "Anything that would make my lovely wife feel better." Saul made them both laugh. "Saul I love you so much, even after all these years." "Well ya know, it's because I'm such a handsome guy. Ha, ha, ha. "I love you too and want you to know that everything is going to be okay today. Hey, just look at that wild sunrise."

It's true Saul loved Jenny more than she could know. But he has a little secret he hasn't shared with her. Every day she thinks he still is going to work at the Technology Center downtown, instead he has been a top engineer with NGI since it began almost a year ago. It's been difficult for him as he now knows the systems he helps build, has sealed the fate for so many around the world. Yet, from the beginning of the program he had no idea where it would go, or the depth of it's application.
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:11 am

One day, early in his career at NGI, as Saul went to lunch he thought it would be a nice change if he'd eat at the park. He didn't know it then, but that one day in the park would change his life forever. As Saul sat on the park bench enjoying his lunch a man in tattered clothes approached him and he wondered why this man didn't ask for anything, he just sat next to Saul and prayed. Saul asked the man, when he had finished praying, "what do you believe in?" The man next to him, replied. "I believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of the living God." he continued "Do you know that what is happening right now is leading up to His return back to Earth?" Saul was astonished that the man was so bold and unafraid of almost everyone around him as what they carried on their skin, is extremely contrary to what he believed in. Saul surprised by his response asked the man, "What do you mean?" "Well it's kind of a very long story and it looks like you almost done with your lunch. I can see that your time is short so I'll keep it brief.

"Jesus said that before he comes back certain events will happen that would give us the indication that He was going to be here soon. One of those events is the proclamation by a man in Jerusalem that he is god, that happened only a few weeks ago. After that the man in Jerusalem created the New Global Government and the New Global Initiative with that barcode mark of the beast, just as the Bible said it would happen. That changed my life as I had not been a Bible thumper before that day, but I remembered it all from Sunday school. So I picked up my old Bible, and prayed. You know what God said to me as He answered my prayer?" Saul nodded no. "God showed me in His Word how much He loved me and that He wanted me to tell others that He loves them too." "Do you know that God loves you Saul?" Saul looked down at his watch. "Oh no, I'm going to be late getting back to the office. Please sir, I've got to go, but thank you for telling me your story. Hey, before I go, pray for me and my family?" The man smiled and nodded yes.
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:19 am

"Daddy?" Daniel's little girl tugged on his shirt. "Is it time to go to the park now?" "Why yes it is my little princess." Dan said with a smile. "I miss playing at the park daddy, it's been such a long time, almost all my life." Dan's heart melts and hugs his daughter, "I know sweetheart, me too. How about you gather up the other kids and we'll head down the trail to the van. Dan thought to himself. "It's been so long since the van was running, I hope it still starts." "Hey Samuel, ya ready to go?" "I sure am Dan, ready, willing and able, as I'll ever be." It was so good to see Samuel up and about after the surgery. He almost didn't survive the chemo treatments. God is faithful, and was right there with him all the way. "Just getting all the lunch together in the backpacks Dan, I'll only be a moment." "No worries bro, take your time our wives and kids are still dawdling. I think they are so excited, they are like those deer in the headlights." Both guys laughed, but knew inside they are just as concerned about what's ahead for them today, as is the rest of the family.

Okay everyone, before we head out on the road I want to ask God to be there with us all of the way. So take a seat in the van and we'll pray. For some reason Daniel remembered that day, so long ago, in the park and wished he could remember the guy he was suppose to pray for. He thought, "Oh yeah it was Saul." As everyone calmed down he prayed.
"Dear Father in Heaven, I know you put Saul and his family on my heart today, and I just want to ask you to help them seek you with all of their heart today. Draw them close to you and speak to their soul by your Holy Spirit. Thank you that we can still freely gather here and pray. In Jesus name, amen." Clarissa wondered why he didn't pray for us, but she knows that he's always doing that for us, even when he's not making any sounds. She thought to herself, "Gotta love that guy, he cares for us so much." Dan exuberantly proclaimed, "were off to the park, Lord be with us!" And on the road they went.
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:25 am

It's 10 am in the city and they sky above still had such interesting colors and unusual clouds floating around. People all over town were concerned as the power outage seemed to be connected to the strangeness of the sky. Some even wondered to themselves, "Could the brilliant colors in the sky be causing the power outage?" News reports over the short wave were coming in from all over the world. It's as if there was no electricity anywhere. The funny thing is, there was hardly any cars on the road, and absolutely no traffic on the freeways. It's like everybody wanted just to stay in their homes and ride it out. Planes were grounded, train stations were like ghost towns, and all the stores were closed, even those 24 hour gas stations, for the first time ever, had no one in them. A very unique day.

Saul wanted to call in to work, but his cell phone had no signal. "Honey, looks like I'm just gonna have to take the day off. I can't seem to get a signal, and we live in the best cell signal area in town." Jenny was feeling better now, she knew Saul was going to be with her today, and she prayed in her heart that he always would be.

"Alright kids settle down." Daniel sighed. "Were almost there and I don't want to give the highway patrol any reason to stop us now." He wondered where all the cars were, he knew it would be a work day. "Strange, it's as if God just made them all take a day off for us." Maybe so. Daniel thought, "Maybe today God?" On the two way radio to Samuel's van Daniel asked, "Hey Samuel would you look at that sky, the colors are more vibrant than early this morning. Man, what do you think is goin' on?" Samuel didn't really reply, as he was worried that someone would pick up on their conversation and track them or something and he just didn't want to take that chance. Daniel knew how Samuel felt, but was so excited to be out, he just didn't want think about it.
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:37 am

Everyone gathered at the park and prayed together before they had some lunch. "Hey Dan, doesn't the sky colors make the grass here look the ocean?" "It sure does Samuel, almost like in our Navy days, huh?" "Sometimes I miss the fun we had back then Sam. Seeing the world, port by port. Where does the time go?" Sam's wife Amber laughed and said to Clarissa, "Okay, did you call ahead and reserve the park, cause it looks like we're the only ones here. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I'm lovin' it."

The day rolled on and everyone was having so much fun being out, they forgot all the troubles that plagued the world around them. It's as if the whole world stopped spinning, just for this one day. The strange thing is, with the unusual clouds and vibrant colors in the sky, it just might have.

Saul and his family ignored all his neighbors warnings about the day and went out there anyway. Somehow Saul wanted to go the very park he spent lunch at that one day. Jenny and the kids thought that would be a great idea as well, so off they went, to share a day in the park.

"Hey everyone, it's Saul!" Daniel remembered him even after all this time. "It's good to see you again." They caught up on a few things and shared a lunch one more time.

"Dan, you know there is something I must tell everyone." "Go ahead Saul, no one will judge you here." "Well I've been working on the NGI team, and helped develop the integration systems into our society from the already existing UPC barcodes. This of course began long before I first met you in the park and you shared the message of hope in Jesus with me. I had to continue with the program as there was no other way I knew of for taking care of my family. So I fabricated an artificial hand that I used with my NGI account and that is how we had made it through all this time up to now." Dan smiled and replied, "wow, man now that's heavy. God is so good and he provided a shelter for you in the midst of this great storm." Jenny was amazed to hear that her husband, whom she had been praying for all these years, believed in Jesus. She was speechless, and tears began to form, while in her heart she said a prayer of thankfulness to the Lord.
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:44 am

The day was just right, not too hot or cold, almost a perfect day. Then as everyone was singing a song together, the sky began to grow into a strange and dusk like darkness. The sun was darkening and there's not even a chance of an lunar eclipse today. The intriguing appearance of the sky was added by the moon being up in the eastern sky, and it began to glow a deep red, almost plumb like color. Daniel's daughter Stephanie said, "daddy, who used my watercolors on the sky?" And she was right on with her child like analysis, the weakening of the sun's light had caused 'white light failure' leading to a multitude of flowing colors more vast than the Aurora Borealis could ever produce. The moon happened to be reflecting a certain spectrum of faded sun light and began to glow as if it was coated with blood. Daniel after years of study and reflection in God's word, knew in his heart what this moment was all about, and shared with everyone what he believed was happening. "It's happening, the Sign that Yeshua told us would come is here, He is coming soon." "It's why He told us to look up, because we would see this beautiful sky on this very special and unique day." Samuel said, "yes, it is the creations way of announcing the arrival, the appearing of the King, the creator of all things."
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:55 am

Across from the park was the city graveyard, it was so huge, and it dated back to the early 1800's when the first pioneers farmed the area around the city. If Daniel rightly remembered his scriptures he quietly thought to himself, he could recall what events would take place as prophesied for today. He sat for a moment with his well worn Bible, and it opened right up to the first book the Apostle Paul wrote to the church of the Thessalonians. He turned the pages as he had done many times before stopping in chapter four scanning down to the verses below, fifteen through seventeen.

According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

Daniel pondered upon those words he had known since being a small child. In his heart he always held them so close, and then he thought. "If the dead in Christ will rise up first, then where would be the best place to be at that very moment?

Daniel glanced across the street, next to the park. Of course, he thought, a graveyard. What a wonderful addition to the arrival of the King, a colorful sky and believers in Jesus being raised up from the earth they were placed in." In joyful anticipation of what he believed to be coming, he gathered everyone around him. With a shakey voice Daniel explained to everyone what he knew the Bible had said would happen on that day when Jesus would come back, and they all agreed that they should pray about it. Samuel began, "Here we are on this day, and we stand with our hearts bowed before you Father, we rejoice that you are here in our midst through your Holy Spirit. Father according to your will, we surrender all of who we are in your Son Yeshua to your perfect plan for this day. May the events of this day bring you glory Heavenly Father, for now and forever, amen."
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:00 am

Everyone was in agreement, the best place in the whole world right now, is just across the street. Clarissa thought out loud, "how wonderful it will be to witness first hand the transforming power of God at work in His creation on this special moment of history. Oh the stories that will come, oh the anticipation of the stories, as we will gather in His kingdom, stories from people we will meet from all over the world and from all of time."

As they hurried to cross over the street it was begining, small points of light in the millions could be seen above in the darkened sky. It's the stars Daniel thought. He was right, but unprepared for what they all were about to see. "Saul, look it's like the sky is rolling up as an acient Bible scroll, I can barely just see it now, way up there almost in space." Samuel remembered the scriptues of Revelation chapter six. At that moment there was an earthquake like they never felt before, the Earth was moving but it was as if we were floating on the sea. Nothing was collapsing, not even the tall buildings down the street. It was amazing. As the joyful seekers crossed over into the graveyard they all ran to the center where they could stand in a circle and sing a special song they remembered from days past. Everyone lifted their arms, their hearts, and their heads up, while they sang,

"Worthy is the, Lamb who was slain Holy, Holy, is He
Sing a new song, to him who sits on Heaven's mercy seat

Holy, Holy, Holy Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come
With all creation I sing Praise to the King of Kings
You are my everything And I will adore You

Clothed in rainbows, of living color
Flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder Blessing and honor,
strength and glory and power be to You the only wise King

Holy, Holy, Holy Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come
You are my everything And I will adore You

Filled with wonder, awestruck wonder
At the mention of your name
Jesus your name is power
Breath, and living water
Such a marvelous mystery, yeah...

Holy, Holy, Holy
Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come, yeah
You are my everything And I will adore You"
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:11 am

Near the end of their song, and just before they finished singing
everyone had fallen to their knees in such joy
then softly they could hear a song clearly resounding from up above them.

"You're My Beloved
You're My Bride
To sing over you is My delight
Come away with Me My love

You're Beautiful to Me
So beautiful to Me

Under My mercy
Come and wait
Till we are standing face to face
I see no stain on you my child

You're Beautiful to Me
So Beautiful to Me

I sing over you My song of peace
Cast all your care down at My feet
Come and find your rest in Me

I'll breathe My life inside of you
I'll bear you up on eagle's wings
And hide you in the shadow of My strength
I'll take you to My quiet waters
I'll restore your soul
Come rest in Me and be made whole

You're My beloved
You're My Bride
To sing over you is my delight
Come away with me my love"

"My Beloved" (Video link)
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:29 am

As we knelt before the Lord and soaked it all in, the best parts of His story began. Those little points of light Daniel and his friends watched earlier, from way up in the darkened sky, drew closer and brighter, floating almost effortlessly downward towards the earth. As they drew closer and closer we could see they have the appearance of human form. We all cried "they're His angels coming down as streams of pure light." "Absolutely wonderful."

Yeshua's glory way up high and his angels light filled the skies all over the world. In a way we could never have imagined. Jenny looked up and cried, "How beautiful is the Lord Almighty, who was, and is, and who has come. And now we will be with Him forevermore."

At this moment the families witnessed angels surrounding them. The angels knelt down to the ground as we all stood by and watched in wonder. They looked up to the sky and heard a loud shout from above. It was time. The angels in unison were singing a beautiful song to God as they placed the palm of their hands on the ground, and then something wonderful began. Human shaped figures of glowing light arose from the earth below our feet, from the tip of their heads slowly as it seemed, all the way to the souls of their feet. Glowing light and then transforming into more of a radient human being. Amazing.

Daniel stood close to one of the angels and watched this angel reach out to one who had rose up, and with their other hand placed it on the top of his head and together they looked up to the sky. He began to see this glowing light coming from way up in the sky, engulf all around him, and as if it was inside him too. The whole group of believers, young and old, were experienceing the same effect all at the same time and just as the angels had gently descended to the earth they held the hands of everyone there and began their ascent up to meet the Lord in the air.
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 am

Daniel felt as if this was a dream, "Am I dreaming?" He thought. No this is real, it has finally come and here we are floating up through those beautiful colors, here up in the sky and the soft most unusual clouds I have ever seen. "Halleluyah, Yeshua here we come." he cried. As they floated upward everyone called out to each other
"I just can't wait to meet Him!"

Brilliant light filled the sky like one of those late afternoon days when the sun is setting and the rays of golden light pierced through the clouds. This time though, it's not the sun, it is the Son of God. Daniel rejoiced and said one more encouraging word of praise. "For He has come, Just as He promised, and now we are with Him, on this day."

-Tevye
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:43 am

My humble gift to the family here at FP.
Glory and honor to the Lord of hosts.
The Lord bless you all, this season and beyond.

-Tevye
Tevye

Postby The Orange Mailman on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks Tevye. It makes me think about how it may all come together.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby revelation12eleven on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Very enjoyable, Tevye. Thank you!
Overcomer
revelation12eleven

Postby Tevye on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:05 pm

:grin: Bless the Lord.

"I want to hear You say the words to me "well done"
I want to hear You say "good and faithful servant"
I want to hear You say "I've prepared a place for you"
Let all the treasures of this world fade away

Jesus, You are my reward
To hear Your voice on that day is all I'm living for
Jesus, You are my reward
To see Your face on that day is all I'm living for

In the twinkling of an eye, we'll all be changed
We'll meet you in the sky
We will see You face to face"

My Reward ~ by Paul Baloche ~ (video link)

To see Your face on that day, to hear Your voice on that day...
:grin:
Tevye

Postby proparent on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Tears of joy run down my face as I read this. Thankyou for sharing.

Love, in Christ,
Lisa
proparent
Supporting Member

Postby Tevye on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:49 pm

You're welcome. :grin:
I'm working on the next 'short' story
it's in a relative time line with this one
and 'related' in a sense.
Hope it goes well.

:a2: