A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

No opposing arguments allowed

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

Postby The Orange Mailman on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:23 pm

It's been kind of quiet here, so I thought of an interesting study we could do. The words to A Mighty Fortress Is Our God has references to undergoing battle with Satan. Given that the great tribulation will consist of spiritual warfare, what is each verse telling us as is pertains to the time of the end?

This is the way I think we should do it. I will post the first verse. Then anyone can chime in with scripture references that pertain to the different phrases. It should be noted upfront that Luther saw things from a Historicist point of view. He saw the pope and the Roman Catholic Church as an antichrist type system, and the true church as being persecuted by that antichrist type system over a period of many years. So perhaps some comments could be directed toward that end. Or perhaps someone may just want to focus on a Futurist point of view which would be fine as well. Another may just want to mention a scripture reference that they think inspired Luther to write a particular line in.

Make sense? Okay here goes. I'll post the first verse, then after about a week or so, I'll post the second verse and so on.

A mighty fortress is our God,
A bulwark never failing
Our helper he amid the flood
Of mortal ills prevailing
For still our ancient foe
Doth seek to work us woe
His craft and pow'r are great,
And armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal

Any thoughts?

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Re: A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

Postby burien1 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:23 am

[ Just a little aside. This is one hymn I have never enjoyed singing. It just reminds me of a funeral dirge. And so Catholic sounding. I have a lousy voice, but consider myself to be making a joyful noise when singing praise songs in Church. The whole melody of this song, is anything but joyous. :( I know, I need to keep my flesh out of it. LOL ! ]

Sorry for my intrusion, OM.
:backtotopic: :scared2:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby The Orange Mailman on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Well, since everybody is viewing and nobody is seriously posting (key word there "seriously"), I'll chip in this little tidbit. Our helper He amid the flood. This phrase portrays the LORD assisting, helping while the enemy comes in like a flood. I can think of two scriptures that speak to us in this manner.

Isaiah 59:19 So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him. 20 And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD.

Also, the very memorable...

Revelation 12:15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood. 16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.

So here is the question, er questions. Or better yet, here are the questions. Did Luther see the flood from the serpent's mouth as something occurring in his day? Should we see this as something occurring in our day?

But more importantly, should we view God as a very present helper even in the midst of the flood? Even though the flood comes, the LORD will help us, as Luther sings “AMID the flood”. He doesn’t take us away from tribulation, but rather ensures that He helps us amid the flood.

Any thoughts?

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby Ready1 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:06 am

A bulwark never failing

Psa 18:2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Postby The Orange Mailman on Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:32 pm

His craft and pow'r are great,
And armed with cruel hate,

I wonder if Luther had this verse in mind when he penned this section.

I Peter 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby savedbygrace on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:51 am

Has anyone ever heard Matthew Ward's version of this song from his 'Fortress' cd? I just LOVE it!

SBG
You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death. And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But not a hair of your head shall be lost. By your patience you possess your souls. Luke 21:16-19
savedbygrace
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:46 pm

A mighty fortress is our God,

Psalm 91:2-5 (King James Version)

2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby The Orange Mailman on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

It's been a couple of weeks now. Let's look at the second verse and see if this has any implications for our end times view.

Did we in our own strength confide
Our striving would be losing
Were not the right man on our side
The man of God’s own choosing
Dost ask who that may be?
Christ Jesus it is He
Lord Sabaoth His name
From age to age the same
And He must win the battle.

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby The Orange Mailman on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:15 pm

In this stanza, Luther saw all hope for winning the battle bound up in one person, Jesus Christ. Jesus would win the battle. I believe this points to Revelation 19 and the battle of Armageddon. But let's not forget the first verse which mentions ongoing conflict which seems to reflect the flood of Revelation 12. Jesus is mentioned in this passage also as the One which will rule the nations.

LORD Sabaoth is the OT name for the LORD of hosts. By identifying Jesus as this OT God who leads forth the mighty host, He is proclaiming Jesus as God in the flesh and captain of the armies of heaven and earth.

Psalm 24 A Psalm of David

The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof,
the world and those who dwell therein,
for he has founded it upon the seas
and established it upon the rivers.
Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord?
And who shall stand in his holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
who does not lift up his soul to what is false
and does not swear deceitfully.
He will receive blessing from the Lord
and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
Such is the generation of those who seek him,
who seek the face of the God of Jacob. Selah
Lift up your heads, O gates!
And be lifted up, O ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.
Who is this King of glory?
The Lord, strong and mighty,
the Lord, mighty in battle!

Lift up your heads, O gates!
And lift them up, O ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.
Who is this King of glory?
The Lord of hosts,
he is the King of glory!
Selah

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby The Orange Mailman on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:59 pm

The third verse of the hymn is as follows:

And tho this world, with devils filled
Should threaten to undo us
We will not fear for God hath willed
His truth to triumph thru us.
The prince of darkness grim
We tremble not for him
His rage we can endure
For lo, his doom is sure
One little word shall fell him

So what is this section telling us about the end?

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby Ready1 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:23 am

Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Joh 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Postby The Orange Mailman on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:02 pm

Hey, thanks Uncle E. Whenever I think of the phrase "one little word shall fell him" I think of the story in the Bible where Jesus cast out the demons from the man that had a legion of them. All Jesus had to do was say the word "go" which is one of the littlest words in our language. One little word had the demons powerless and brought them to defeat in this man's life due to the power of Jesus Christ.

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby The Orange Mailman on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:16 pm

That word above all earthly pow'rs
No thanks to them abideth
The Spirit and the gifts are ours
Thru Him who with us sideth
Let goods and kindred go
This mortal life also
The body they may kill
God's truth abideth still
His kingdom is forever

So here is my question. Did Luther see God's kingdom as already established and encountering resistance from Satan, or did He see Satan's kingdom as established and on the brink of overthrow by the LORD Jesus?

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Return to Pre-wrath view only