Revelation 14:14-16 as PreWrath Rapture

No opposing arguments allowed

Re: Revelation 14:14-16 as PreWrath Rapture

Postby The Orange Mailman on Sat May 14, 2011 2:09 pm

I have written a couple of posts on my blog reviewing how Dr. Hultberg presents the PreWrath position. I’m going to reproduce a couple of clips from my blog so that folks can read how he explains that Revelation 14:14-16 is the PreWrath Rapture. The first is from a summary post on his overall position. The second is from a post that I wrote documenting where he slightly diverges from the way Rosenthal and Van Kampen present the PreWrath Rapture. Here are those two clips.

Two passages are cited to give this chronological sequence in the book of Revelation. The first is Revelation 6-8. Hultberg has already spent considerable time in noting that the great multitude of Revelation 7:9-17 is the church. Now he sets forth the Prewrath, sixth seal rapture as taught by Rosenthal and VanKampen. But intertwined with his view is that Revelation 14-16 also portrays the rapture, something that neither Rosenthal nor VanKampen taught. Hultberg sees the rapture occur at the sixth seal which results in the church before the throne of God in Revelation 7:9-17. He also sees the rapture occur in what he terms “the parousia harvest” in Revelation 14:14-16 which results in the church before the throne of God in Revelation 15:2. In Revelation 6-8, the wrath of God occurs after the rapture in the seven trumpet sequence. In Revelation 14-16 the wrath of God occurs after the rapture in the wrath harvest (grape harvest) and the seven bowl sequence. Within this section Hultberg frequently refers back to the Olivet Discourse and the Thessalonian epistles for comparison noting that they all have parallels with each other.

Now let’s turn to the subject of Revelation 14:14-16 as the rapture. Hultberg does an excellent job setting the sequence in Revelaton 12-16 as a parallel to the PreWrath rapture in Revelation 6-8. “Thus it is certain that Revelation 7:9-17, introduced by the cosmic disturbances of the sixth seal and parallel to the scene of the victors harvested by the Son of Man in 14:14-16, is a picture of the raptured church.” Later he writes, “We have seen above that Revelation 6-8 and 14-16 present the rapture immediately prior to the outpouring of God’s wrath. Thus in Revelation 14:14-20, following an announcement of the arrival of the hour of God’s judgment (14:7) and yet prior to the grape harvest (14:17-20) in which all who worship the Beast will be forced to “drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger” (14:10, 18-20 NASB), John sees Christ harvest the earth at his parousia. Once the victorious church is in heaven (15:2-4), the seven bowls full of the wrath of God (15:1, 7; 16:1) are poured onto the kingdom of the Beast (16:21).” But in this instance Hultberg departs from the understanding that other PreWrathers express concerning this passage. Charles Cooper writes in Parousia newsletter that “Revelation 14:14-17 narrates the wrath of God against the wicked depicted in the bowl judgments to follow”. Taking a bit different approach, in Zion’s Fire, Rosenthal has expressed that Revelation 14:14-16 is a rapture type event occurring after the rapture, gathering those who come to faith after the actual rapture into the kingdom of God. Read about his views here. So this is clearly new territory for a published PreWrath author to venture into. Alas, I do not know if Van Kampen would have agreed or not. I checked the scripture references in The Sign to find that it skipped from Revelation 14:12 to Revelation 14:20. My guess is that he would disagree with Hultberg because of his chronological view of the bowls being located in the 30 days that follow Daniel’s 70th week. I agree completely with Hultberg on this matter. He has this well laid foundation, “Revelation 12-16 forms a literary unit in the book.”

Read the entire posts on my blog here:

http://theorangemailmanmyblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/a-case-for-the-prewrath-rapture-by-alan-hultberg/
http://theorangemailmanmyblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/the-views-of-dr-alan-hultberg/

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Previous

Return to Pre-wrath view only