Zephaniah 1:7

No opposing arguments allowed

Zephaniah 1:7

Postby The Orange Mailman on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Alright SueAnn, you've inspired me. But you better respond.

Rosenthal makes an interesting point in the latest issue of Zion's Fire. I
wonder how many are in agreement with it. Here's his quote regarding the
sacrifice of Zephaniah 1:7 and who the guests are who are invited.

Quote: The prophet Zephaniah wrote, "Hold thy peace [be silent] at the presence
of the Lord GOD: for the day of the LORD is at hand: for the LORD hath prepared
a sacrifice, He hath bid His guests" (Zephaniah 1:7).

The prophet made three important observations, all of which are directly related
to the call for silence in Revelation, Chapter 8.

First, the prophet commanded, "Hold thy peace [be silent] at the presence of the
Lord GOD."

Second, he wed his call for "silence" to the commencement of the Day of the
Lord. He said, "The day of the LORD is at hand." The Day of the Lord is the
precise subject of Revelation, Chapter 8.

And third, Zephaniah made clear who the recipients of this judgment will be. He
said, "For the LORD hath prepared a sacrifice, he hath bid his guests." Here is
an expression by the prophet that is dripping with sarcasm. In no sense should
it be thought of as being a positive statement. The Bible is precise in stating
that believers will not be among the invited guests to the Day of the Lord. And
our feelings should not be hurt because we were left out of the invitation list.

The Day of the Lord is the time of God's wrath, and believers are not appointed
to God's wrath. The apostle Paul wrote, "And to wait for his Son from heaven,
whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered [delivers] us from the
wrath to come" (1 Thessalonians 1:10). And again, he wrote, in a context where
he was discussing the Day of the Lord, "For God hath not appointed us to wrath,
but to obtain salvation [deliverance] by our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Thessalonians
5:9).

Believers will be raptured immediately prior to the opening of the seventh seal
that initiates the wrath of God. It will be a pre-wrath rapture. The
"sacrifice" the prophet refers to are those who will be slain during the Day of
the Lord, when God's holiness will be vindicated before His creation. God's
"invited guests" on that occasion will be those who rejected His grace, refused
His mercy, and spurned His love. They will be sinners in the hands of an angry
God.

End quote.

So what do you all think? Are the guests invited to the sacrifice those who
will be slain during the day of the LORD? Is the prophet speaking sarcastically
like Rosenthal states? Looking at the entire context, that seems to be what is
going on in Zephaniah 1.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Re: Zephaniah 1:7

Postby nike on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:11 pm

So...Orange...do you see a near/far prophecy here?

It almost looks to me like God is speaking of two events: "Be silent, the day of the Lord is near" and then he adds the fact that He has prepared a sacrifice and consecrated the guests - could that be the Babylonian captivity, the sacrifice being Judah and the guests being Babylon? He then goes on to describe what will happen at the time of the prepared sacrifice (the time of captivity), then draws a connection to the ultimate DOTL in verses 14-18. We know the Babylonian captivity was NOT the DOTL, and verse 15 is a definite connection to the sixth seal, so both the captivity and the day of wrath are entangled in this chapter.

I believe Zephaniah was written as a warning to Nebuchadnezzar's invasion, so a near/far works for me...but I am not sure how the sacrifice and guests translate to the DOTL.

Am I way off here?

nike
nike

Postby The Orange Mailman on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:29 pm

Nike-

I see a near/far fulfillment. The prophecy was originally given in the days of Josiah, so the Babylonian captivity is not far off. Since most of what is written came true literally, this validated Zephaniah as a prophet of God. The ultimate fulfillment was not realized, especially portions of chapter 3, but the Israelites had the down payment to prove that the rest would come to pass as well.

So this destruction at the time of the Day of the LORD can be placed in two places. I hadn't thought about including the sacrifice and guests portion only at the Babylonian captivity. But it's certainly possible that this doesn't carry over. I seem to be in agreement with Rosenthal's basic premise that the sacrifice is the people who will be slaughtered in 1:8-11. After 1:7 which gives the premise, 1:8 states that on the day of the LORD's sacrifice that He will punish (8), punish (9), a howling will be heard (10), because all the merchants are cut down (11). That seems to be explaining the metaphor pretty clearly. So it does seem to be sarcastically addressed to those in Jerusalem who offered sacrifices on a daily basis. Come to the LORD's sacrifice.

So the question becomes, as you put it, does this section concerning the sacrifice translate over into the eschatological Day of the LORD, or does it remain only with the Babylonian captivity? So I guess we should make two categories, things that could translate over, and things that cannot translate over.

Things that could translate over.

Destruction upon Jerusalem. The holy city is said to be trampled down by Gentiles, but only for 42 months, Rev. 11:2. Zechariah 14:1-4 is end times. First, it was given after the exile, so there can be no Babylonian reference. Second, the LORD goes forth personally to fight on behalf of His people. That hasn't occurred yet. So the captivity mentioned in Zech. 14:2 could be seen in Zephaniah 1 as well. The spoil mentioned in Zechariah 14:1-2 could have a correlation in Zephaniah 1:13.

The slaughter of merchant men. We know that the financial system of Babylon will be judged in the end. I also agree with Charles Cooper that Jerusalem will somehow develop into Babylon. She is already responsible for the blood of the prophets. We see in Revelation that Babylon is the center of the world's finances.

Things that cannot translate over.

The king's children. This seems to be a reference to the royal house of David living in Jerusalem at the time of the destruction. There will not be a royal house established again in Jerusalem as far as I can tell. It could happen, I guess, if Israelites can trace their lineage back to David and move these people into places of leadership in Jerusalem. I wonder if Israel will gain Jerusalem back as their capitol at all.

So no I don't think you are way off. It's a possibility either way. Do you have some evidence that might tip the scales one way or the other?

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:53 pm

The Orange Mailman wrote:So what do you all think? Are the guests invited to the sacrifice those who
will be slain during the day of the LORD? Is the prophet speaking sarcastically
like Rosenthal states? Looking at the entire context, that seems to be what is
going on in Zephaniah

Hi Orange Mailman,

I just read the article up to the part you quoted here in your post. I read it this morning, but had to leave it there to go off to work. My first thought was that it was a big stretch, but want to reserve judgement until finishing the article, reading the Zephaniah chapter, and researching the use of the word "guests" throughout scripture.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby nike on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Orange,
There are a lot of things I will step up and be a scale tipper for, but not this one...I was just postulating! But I do think that the sacrifice and guests reference is not translated to the DOTL, because the sacrifice and guests are two separate things - they both can't be references to unbelieving nations brought to judgment. So I guess I'd have to say I don't agree with Marv on that reference. I do love the underlying picture of sovereignty in Zephaniah - God is in total control, He causes the captivities for His own glory...I just don't see the DOTL as a sacrifice, but rather judgment.

If Jerusalem is the Babylon of Revelation, it's a pretty sobering thought that God would give His precious Jerusalem that title because of all it encompasses...I'm still probably in the old school camp of Babylon being Rome, because of the Babylonian Harlot referral to the mother/child worship which originated there with Nimrod. Actually, I wish Babylon could just be Babylon - that would make things a lot easier!

I know you post as a mailman, but are you sure you weren't a teacher in a previous life?

I also have to note that Marv is a dear friend and I do agree with most everything he says...but it's okay to disagree now and again...

nike
nike

Postby The Orange Mailman on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:23 pm

Nike-

I'm not entirely sure it translates over either. But I do agree with Marv that the original idea of sacrifice had a sarcastic tone from the prophet. I don't believe God was saying that this sacrifice was going to be something good for the nation of Israel.

Are you saying that the guests (in the original prophecy) are the Babylonians? Come to watch what God is doing to Jerusalem? If so, couldn't that translate over at perhaps the midpoint when Antichrist first rises to power? The ten kings will back the antichrist, so they could be the guests while Jerusalem (future) is the sacrifice.

I wish Babylon could just be Babylon

And I think Babylon is Babylon as well. I think we should keep our eyes open toward Iraq to see a development of something there as well as on Jerusalem.

I know you post as a mailman

Post as a mailman? Mail as a postman? Are you trying to be funny? cuz that came out kinda clever.

are you sure you weren't a teacher in a previous life?

Someday I hope to be a teacher. Until then I'm just The Orange Mailman.

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby nike on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:21 pm

I think God "invited" the Babylonians as guests to come and accept/observe the sacrifice. Yes, there is a tone of sarcasm, but I also think that anytime God puts His beloved children into captivity it is a sacrifice on His part. Is captivity His desired position for His chosen nation? No, but to accomplish His will, He will give them over into captivity. As for a DOTL connection, I don't think He's referring to a midpoint event (with the 10 kings as witnesses/guests) when He talks about the Day of the Lord - you and I both know that happens after the mid-point. The near/far is the Babylonian captivity and the DOTL (not the 70th week). So...again, I don't see the correlation, plus Marv says the guests are the unbelieving nations whom God is going to pour out His wrath upon. I'm not sure what he thinks God's sacrifice is...

Hey, by the way, we have a mutual friend in Slick - he speaks highly of you. He says you're pretty good at delivering mail, but you love to study the Word!

nike
nike

Postby nike on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:32 pm

As for Babylon - a year ago my husband flew over Babylon in a Blackhawk helicopter as a guest of the Department of Defense. He said it was pretty breath-taking! The Iraqis have every intent on restoring Babylon to it's original state of beauty and power. I think I read that some of our stimulus money went to rebuilding historic Babylon...maybe Joel Rosenberg said that...

I agree with you - it is something to keep an eye on.
nike

Postby revelation12eleven on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:16 am

Have you guys seen this gal's comments on who Mystery Babylon might be? I came across this article months ago. It was the first time I'd ever heard anyone consider Jerusalem as Mystery Babylon.

http://www.lookup.org/mysterybabylon.htm
Overcomer
revelation12eleven

Postby The Orange Mailman on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Mental note: Nike is a friend of Slick and Marv R.

:angel:
The Orange Mailman

Postby nike on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:24 pm

You're probably smart enough to figure this one out...if you know Slick, that is...

Revelation12eleven - I haven't seen that site before, but I have heard those arguments...it's an interesting read. As Orange said, Charles Cooper must lean that way, too. I wonder what Marv thinks about Babylon...anyone know?

Oh, and Orange - did I mention I know Coop, too?
nike

Postby The Orange Mailman on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 am

I'm starting to see a pattern, Nike. I could probably guess what state you are in as well.

Besides euphoria, that is.

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby nike on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Guessing the state...is that a mailman's idea of a fun game?

Postal humor...Slick warned me about you...
nike

Postby The Orange Mailman on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:20 pm

Guessing your zip code would be a mailman's idea of a fun game.

And guessing if you are a Christian based on the type of mail you get every day.
The Orange Mailman

Postby IamtheWalrus on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:01 am

What about the connection between the feasts in Ezekiel, namely two, and one in Revelation?
Can they be tied into this?

Some thoughts....
Ken
Psa 40:1-3
I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, [and] established my goings.
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, [even] praise unto our God: many shall see [it], and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
IamtheWalrus

Postby The Orange Mailman on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Hey Walrus, if you posted the scripture references to the passages you are referring to, I might respond.

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby rizen on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:04 am

First, the prophet commanded, "Hold thy peace [be silent] at the presence of the
Lord GOD."

Second, he wed his call for "silence" to the commencement of the Day of the
Lord. He said, "The day of the LORD is at hand." The Day of the Lord is the
precise subject of Revelation, Chapter 8.

Sit thou silent, and get thee into darkness, O daughter of the Chaldeans: for thou shalt no more be called, The lady of kingdoms. (Isaiah 47:7)

And third, Zephaniah made clear who the recipients of this judgment will be. He said, "For the LORD hath prepared a sacrifice, he hath bid his guests." Here is an expression by the prophet that is dripping with sarcasm. In no sense should it be thought of as being a positive statement. The Bible is precise in stating that believers will not be among the invited guests to the Day of the Lord. And our feelings should not be hurt because we were left out of the invitation list.

Rosenthal is correct here. These "guests" who will be bid are probably best represented in 1 Kings 1-2 and Daniel 5. While most people are familiar with Dan. 5, they are not so much with 1 Kings 1-2. First Kings 1-2 deals with a peculiar time when David's son Adonijah prematurely "exalted himself" without his father's blessing. I'm not sure if Adonijah knew that Solomon was David's favored son and heir, but the fact that he exalted himself without David's blessing probably explains alot.

Anyway, there is alot of biblical typology going on here that I'm quite sure has eschatological overtones. King David, for all intents and purposes, is on his death bed. Only a fair "virgin" Abishag is keeping David warm and can confer with him. Meanwhile, Adinojah is drawing alot of powerful people to him. The prophet Nathan and David's wife Bathsheba are trying to hurry the process of anointing Solomon along, knowing full well that Adinojah's first order of business will be to execute them (verse 12).

It's all quite dramatic. When word of all this finally reaches David (especially after Nathan enters), he call his Bathsheba in and tells her that he will make sure Solomon sits on the throne today (verse 30).

As Solomon's anointing is being prepared, Adinojah and all his guests are feasting.

And Zadok the priest took an horn of oil out of the tabernacle, and anointed Solomon. And they blew the trumpet; and all the people said, God save king Solomon. And all the people came up after him, and the people piped with pipes, and rejoiced with great joy, so that the earth rent with the sound of them. And Adonijah and all the guests that were with him heard it as they had made an end of eating. And when Joab heard the sound of the trumpet, he said, Wherefore is this noise of the city being in an uproar? And while he yet spake, behold, Jonathan the son of Abiathar the priest came: and Adonijah said unto him, Come in; for thou art a valiant man, and bringest good tidings. And Jonathan answered and said to Adonijah, Verily our lord king David hath made Solomon king. And the king hath sent with him Zadok the priest, and Nathan the prophet, and Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, and the Cherethites, and the Pelethites, and they have caused him to ride upon the king's mule: And Zadok the priest and Nathan the prophet have anointed him king in Gihon: and they are come up from thence rejoicing, so that the city rang again. This is the noise that ye have heard. And also Solomon sitteth on the throne of the kingdom. And moreover the king's servants came to bless our lord king David, saying, God make the name of Solomon better than thy name, and make his throne greater than thy throne. And the king bowed himself upon the bed. And also thus said the king, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, which hath given one to sit on my throne this day, mine eyes even seeing it. And all the guests that were with Adonijah were afraid, and rose up, and went every man his way. And Adonijah feared because of Solomon, and arose, and went, and caught hold on the horns of the altar. And it was told Solomon, saying, Behold, Adonijah feareth king Solomon: for, lo, he hath caught hold on the horns of the altar, saying, Let king Solomon swear unto me to day that he will not slay his servant with the sword. (1 Kings 1:39-51)
rizen

Postby IamtheWalrus on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:09 am

Hey Orange,

I will post the entire chapter for us here so we can pick it apart; There are two feast it appears in this chapter, one involving the armies of Gog, and the second one toward the end appears to be involving the heathen populace of nearby lands, or even possibly, anywhere outside Israel:

Eze 39:1 Therefore, thou son of man, prophesy against Gog, and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I [am] against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal:
Eze 39:2 And I will turn thee back, and leave but the sixth part of thee, and will cause thee to come up from the north parts, and will bring thee upon the mountains of Israel:
Eze 39:3 And I will smite thy bow out of thy left hand, and will cause thine arrows to fall out of thy right hand.
Eze 39:4 Thou shalt fall upon the mountains of Israel, thou, and all thy bands, and the people that [is] with thee: I will give thee unto the ravenous birds of every sort, and [to] the beasts of the field to be devoured.
Eze 39:5 Thou shalt fall upon the open field: for I have spoken [it], saith the Lord GOD.
Eze 39:6 And I will send a fire on Magog, and among them that dwell carelessly in the isles: and they shall know that I [am] the LORD.
Eze 39:7 So will I make my holy name known in the midst of my people Israel; and I will not [let them] pollute my holy name any more: and the heathen shall know that I [am] the LORD, the Holy One in Israel.
Eze 39:8 Behold, it is come, and it is done, saith the Lord GOD; this [is] the day whereof I have spoken.
Eze 39:9 And they that dwell in the cities of Israel shall go forth, and shall set on fire and burn the weapons, both the shields and the bucklers, the bows and the arrows, and the handstaves, and the spears, and they shall burn them with fire seven years:
Eze 39:10 So that they shall take no wood out of the field, neither cut down [any] out of the forests; for they shall burn the weapons with fire: and they shall spoil those that spoiled them, and rob those that robbed them, saith the Lord GOD.
Eze 39:11 And it shall come to pass in that day, [that] I will give unto Gog a place there of graves in Israel, the valley of the passengers on the east of the sea: and it shall stop the [noses] of the passengers: and there shall they bury Gog and all his multitude: and they shall call [it] The valley of Hamongog.
Eze 39:12 And seven months shall the house of Israel be burying of them, that they may cleanse the land.
Eze 39:13 Yea, all the people of the land shall bury [them]; and it shall be to them a renown the day that I shall be glorified, saith the Lord GOD.
Eze 39:14 And they shall sever out men of continual employment, passing through the land to bury with the passengers those that remain upon the face of the earth, to cleanse it: after the end of seven months shall they search.
Eze 39:15 And the passengers [that] pass through the land, when [any] seeth a man's bone, then shall he set up a sign by it, till the buriers have buried it in the valley of Hamongog.
Eze 39:16 And also the name of the city [shall be] Hamonah. Thus shall they cleanse the land.
Eze 39:17 And, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD; Speak unto every feathered fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assemble yourselves, and come; gather yourselves on every side to my sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, [even] a great sacrifice upon the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood.
Eze 39:18 Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all of them fatlings of Bashan.
Eze 39:19 And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you.
Eze 39:20 Thus ye shall be filled at my table with horses and chariots, with mighty men, and with all men of war, saith the Lord GOD.
Eze 39:21 And I will set my glory among the heathen, and all the heathen shall see my judgment that I have executed, and my hand that I have laid upon them.
Eze 39:22 So the house of Israel shall know that I [am] the LORD their God from that day and forward.
Eze 39:23 And the heathen shall know that the house of Israel went into captivity for their iniquity: because they trespassed against me, therefore hid I my face from them, and gave them into the hand of their enemies: so fell they all by the sword.
Eze 39:24 According to their uncleanness and according to their transgressions have I done unto them, and hid my face from them.
Eze 39:25 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Now will I bring again the captivity of Jacob, and have mercy upon the whole house of Israel, and will be jealous for my holy name;
Eze 39:26 After that they have borne their shame, and all their trespasses whereby they have trespassed against me, when they dwelt safely in their land, and none made [them] afraid.
Eze 39:27 When I have brought them again from the people, and gathered them out of their enemies' lands, and am sanctified in them in the sight of many nations;
Eze 39:28 Then shall they know that I [am] the LORD their God, which caused them to be led into captivity among the heathen: but I have gathered them unto their own land, and have left none of them any more there.
Eze 39:29 Neither will I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel, saith the Lord GOD.

.....and in Revelation, here this feast either occurs prior to the actual battle between Christ, the Beast and the False Prophet (One must note here that there isn't really any description of the supper(s) itself, but the preparation(s) of it is implied in the first verse). Some consider them to be two feasts, one prior, to support the first Gog feast in Ezekiel 39, and the second one "flesh of all men, both free and bond.." to correlate with the second feast in Ezekiel 39, or the heathen feast, identified earlier in Rev 13, as "And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:"

Rev 19:16 And he hath on [his] vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
Rev 19:17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;
Rev 19:18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all [men, both] free and bond, both small and great.
Rev 19:19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.
Rev 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
Rev 19:21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which [sword] proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

However, in Ezekiel 39, there is a definitive time period between the two feasts. Yet in Revelation, it is summed up meticulously, leading one to believe, taking it literally solely, would conflict with the two feast theory. We must note in Revelation 19 that it mentions "....eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them"....first and continues with ".....and the flesh of all [men, both] free and bond, both small and great.".....which separates them as to different groups, identical as Ezekiel 39's Gog with "...Thou shalt fall upon the mountains of Israel, thou, and all thy bands, and the people that [is] with thee: I will give thee unto the ravenous birds of every sort, and [to] the beasts of the field to be devoured."...Also it is important the feast that follows the seven years, if we are to look at it literally without separating these two events by the seven years, is "....gather yourselves on every side to my sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, [even] a great sacrifice upon the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood.
Eze 39:18 Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all of them fatlings of Bashan.
Eze 39:19 And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you.
Eze 39:20 Thus ye shall be filled at my table with horses and chariots, with mighty men, and with all men of war, saith the Lord GOD.

....then the following verse speaks of the glory of God set among...."Eze 39:21 And I will set my glory among the heathen, and all the heathen shall see my judgment that I have executed, and my hand that I have laid upon them.
Eze 39:22 So the house of Israel shall know that I [am] the LORD their God from that day and forward."

Also, note that if Israel, was to "...know that I [am] the LORD their God from that day and forward." after this supposed second feast in Ezekiel 39, then why the seven years of burning weapons for fuel, and the burying of the dead Gog and his armies for seven months of cleansing? From what I see these feast are actually one feast, only explained two separate times throughout this chapter and in Revelation we see the same thing, summed up in a couple of verses. This sacrifice in Ezekiel 39, Revelation 19, can also be correlated with the construction of the detailed symbolic temple and elaborate feast in Ezekiel 40-48.

Anyway, feel free to expand, disassemble, and feast upon :eek: :grin:
Ken
He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, [and] established my goings.
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, [even] praise unto our God: many shall see [it], and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
IamtheWalrus

Postby The Orange Mailman on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Rizen-

It is a striking picture. An anti-king is rejoicing with those he has deceived into following him. Some of these men (Joab and Abiathar) were some of David's most closest followers. While the anti-king believes he has been crowned king, the true king is being anointed and announces his reign.

The trumpet sounds and all those at the anti-king feast are suddenly quiet. They had gathered for sacrifice but now they become the sacrifice. Nice parallel, Rizen.

Walrus-

I only see one feast in Ezekiel 39 and it is the same feast of Revelation 19. This is the feast which follows the slaughter of Armageddon. It's not much of a battle. Jesus speaks and they die. The birds are summoned to prevent mass disease from breaking out. The flesh of these men will not rot since the birds will eat them rather quickly. Of course the nation of Israel will enter into that covenant relationship at that time. It will be a display of God's power on their behalf.

The time period after this is a time of cleansing. The flesh has been eaten of the skeletons of these bodies, but the bones need to be buried. So while part of this will be cleaned up rather quickly, another part will take years to clean up.

I don't know for certain if this correlates with Zephaniah 1:7 or not. Zephaniah 1 seems to be focusing on Jerusalem and the Israelites involved in false worship, while the slaughter of Armageddon seems to be focusing on the armies which gather together from the nations around the world.

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby IamtheWalrus on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Mailman,

I agree...I see only one feast as well. As far as in relation to Zephaniah, if only possible if the vantage point of Ezekiel and Revelation is different from that of it. It may seem plausible that the premise toward the end of Ezekiel 39, the focus is turned to Israel knowing who the Lord is through the judgements made upon Magog and the Gog army. The Israelites may be in bed with the "heathen/Magog"....look at this passage and you will see the subject is Israel being unclean and so forth. Parathesis mine:

Eze 39:23 And the heathen (people in Magog) shall know that the house of Israel went into captivity for their (Israel) iniquity: because they (Israel) trespassed against me, therefore hid I my face from them (Israel), and gave them (Israel)into the hand of their enemies: so fell they (Israel)all by the sword.
Eze 39:24 According to their (Israel) uncleanness and according to their (Israel)transgressions have I done unto them,(Israel) and hid my face from them. (Israel)
Ken
IamtheWalrus

Postby The Orange Mailman on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Hello YouaretheWalrus-

I do not doubt that the Israelites will be involved in apostasy during Daniel's 70th week, (or should I write at the onset of the great tribulation to avoid another debate? heh, heh) I see Zephaniah as having an end times correlation in the following way. In Zephaniah's day the worship on the temple mount had grown so corrupt that every religious sect had its own little section to worship in their own way, even if it was another god.

There are those who worship Baal, 1:4
There are the chemarims, 1:4
There are those that worship the host of heaven, 1:5
There are those that worship the LORD, 1:5
There are those that worship Malcham, 1:5
There are those that are turned back from following the LORD, 1:6
There are those that haven't inquired of the LORD, 1:6

So in Josiah's day, Zephaniah preaches against all these sects on the temple mount. It sparks a great revival, but after Josiah dies, the leaders and the nation plunge right back into sin as evidenced in Ezekiel 8, which shows a similar view to that of Zephaniah 1:4-6. There is the image of jealousy, beast worship, idol worship, Tammuz worship, and sun worship. What's the possible end times correlation?

I believe that Jerusalem could very well develop into the center for all the world religions. There would be a place for the Jews to worship, a place for the muslims to worship, and even a place for the Christians. Of course this will all be an abomination to God. So the sarcasm of Zephaniah 1:7 would be fairly evident. "You all have sacrifices, but be quiet while I offer up MY sacrifice. I've invited my guests and will punish all of you on this temple mount."

But does that correlate with the Armageddon supper? I don't think so. The judgement upon the worship on the temple mount is at the beginning of God's display of anger, while Armageddon is at the end. It's the final act which ushers in the Messianic Kingdom. I could be wrong though.

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby revelation12eleven on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Orange,

I'd really be interested in your view on Ezekiel 38...where in D's 70th W do you see v.8,14, Israel dwelling securely? Where do you place v. 16 in relation to D's 70th W? Language in vv. 18-23 sure sound like day of the Lord judgments...

Thanks...
Overcomer
revelation12eleven

Postby revelation12eleven on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:04 pm

...enjoyed listening to your interview with Brian Simmons by the way.
Overcomer
revelation12eleven

Postby The Orange Mailman on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:28 am

Hello TheyovercamehimbythebloodoftheLamb (which is Revelation 12:11)-

Israel dwelling securely will not occur until the Millennial Kingdom. There will be no peace in Israel until the Prince of Peace comes. Ezekiel 38:8-23 is the Post-Millennial portion of the prophecy further expounded upon in Revelation 20:7-9.

If you listen all the way at the end of that interview, Brian did ask me about my view on Ezekiel 38-39 and the Gog/Magog conflict. I'm glad you enjoyed the conversation we had. It was something new for me, but I think it went well for a first time venture.

-The Orange Mailman
The Orange Mailman

Postby IamtheWalrus on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:57 am

Is the interview available online OM?
Ken
IamtheWalrus

Postby The Orange Mailman on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:11 am

Yes, there is a link at my blog. It's the second post down right now.
The Orange Mailman

Postby revelation12eleven on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks Orange,

I caught the first half of the interview. If I'd listened to the whole thing I would have had my answer!
Overcomer
revelation12eleven

Postby revelation12eleven on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:01 pm

...and of course if I'd read the entire paragraph at Brian's website I would have seen that you talked about Ezekiel 38/39. I stopped after the first sentence and began listening to the interview. :bag:
Overcomer
revelation12eleven

Postby revelation12eleven on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:33 pm

Ok Darrin, just wanted to let you know I caught the Gog/Magog part of the interview. Your view does make sense. I definitely don't see any of Ez. 38/39 as pre-70th Week.
Overcomer
revelation12eleven

Postby rizen on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:22 am

revelation12eleven wrote:...enjoyed listening to your interview with Brian Simmons by the way.

It was very enjoyable. Kudos to both of you. Interesting pronunciation of "epistles" though. :mrgreen:

I guess it's a regional thing.
rizen

Postby revelation12eleven on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:22 pm

...the pronunciation of epistles made me smile too... :grin:
Overcomer
revelation12eleven

Return to Pre-wrath view only