Regarding Why the Rapture Won’t Happen This Week

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

Regarding Why the Rapture Won’t Happen This Week

Postby Rob on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:53 am

Hi Holly,
After reading your Ask Holly post today I'm reminded once again of the necessity of reading Scripture very carefully. Your quote of 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 is about as succinct as one can get regarding the Rapture, but I think the previous two passages should have also been included. What stands out for me is this:

Verse 3 - "for it will not come" What is "it"? To me, verse 1 answers that question of what "it" is: "the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him". Verse 1 explains that the "it" is the coming of the Lord", plus something else. It is also to be noted that this phrase is linked with an "and", meaning that both actions in verse 1 are tied together..."and our gathering together to Him". To me, this means that the coming of Jesus is timed with the gathering of believers described in scripture as happening at the same time. In my opinion, this means that the pre- and mid-trib views do not hold.

I understand that some believers may hold to the view that the rapture happens in an earlier sequence of things, and that the 2 Thessalonians 2 passages refer to Jesus' return as being separate from the rapture. But, these four verses seem to me to tie these two events together as happening at the same time.

From BibleGateway.com:

Man of Lawlessness
1Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him,

2that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by aspirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that )the day of the Lord has come.

3Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

4who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.
Rob
Supporting Member

Re: Regarding Why the Rapture Won’t Happen This Week

Postby Holly on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:30 pm

I believe you are absolutely correct, Rob. Perhaps I will draw attention to the previous two verses to show that they depict the rapture and coming of the Lord as simultaneous events.

Holly
Holly
Owner

Re: Regarding Why the Rapture Won’t Happen This Week

Postby Rob on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Thank you, Holly and Adam - your efforts are greatly appreciated! There is much I have been learning through Fulfilled Prophecy!
:blessyou:
Rob
Supporting Member

Return to Ask Holly