Temple Sacrifice and the 70th Week of Daniel

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

Temple Sacrifice and the 70th Week of Daniel

Postby Rob on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:47 am

Hi Holly,
My wife and I were reading the latest posting of your Dad's article called "Flashback: Expectations - What Herb Thinks". We have been reading and studying prophecy and current events, both on Fulfilled Prophecy and other places, and reading Scripture to see how things may fit in. We believe that your Dad's comments regarding folks having false expectations and understanding of end times events, especially of Daniel's 70th week, are true and timely. My wife read from Ezra this morning. We had assumed, like many folks, that in order for the Temple sacrifices to resume, the Jews would first have to build the Temple. We are thinking maybe otherwise after reading Ezra 3, especially verse 6: "On the first day of the seventh month they began to offer burnt offerings to the Lord, though the foundation of the Lord's Temple had not yet been laid." The point here is we should not limit our thinking to believing end times events have to happen only the way we think they should happen.
It seems to us that end times events, especially related to Daniel's 70th Week, could very likely be happening right under our noses because we do not read and try to understand Scripture correctly, especially in trying to understand Scripture from a specifically Jewish understanding. It is very important indeed to understand how, why and when events happen, etc. I know that Ezra is not a prophetic book like, say, Daniel, but it is important nonetheless, because it gives great insight into events, the people involved, and why things went on in the way they did. For example, in Ezra it was Cyrus, the Persian King, who God moved upon to allow the temple to start to be rebuilt and the sacrifices to begin again, and for the exiles to return. Stuff like that may seem inconceivable today in relation to what is foretold for the 70th week of Daniel, but nevertheless, there it is!
What think you? Could the Temple sacrifices possibly be reinstated in a way such as described in Ezra? Again, we don't want to fall into the trap your Dad described in his article - we are certainly not theologians, but we are curious. In the end, only God know how He will make it all work out, so we need to concentrate on our relationship with Him.

Thanks!
Rob
Supporting Member

Re: Temple Sacrifice and the 70th Week of Daniel

Postby Holly on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:06 am

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry for the late reply. The FP office was closed the last couple weeks, so I'm just catching up. I do think we may be surprised at the manner in which many of the prophecies are fulfilled. I believe the temple will be rebuilt, or at least a portion of it (the sanctuary and altar), because of passages like 2 Thessalonians 2:4 (the Antichrist takes his seat in the temple of God), Matthew 24:15 (the abomination of desolation stands in the "holy place") and Revelation 11:1-2 (John is told to measure the temple). However, the Greek word used for temple in 2 Thesalonians 2:4 and Revelation 11:1-2 is "naos," which can refer just to the inner sanctuary -- not "hieron," which refers to the entire temple grounds and structures. Also, note in Revelation 11:2 that John is told not to measure the outer court because it will be treaded on by the Gentiles for 42 months. I think these passages may allow for the possibility that the entire temple won't be rebuilt, but enough of it for sacrifices to resume. We'll have to wait and see!

Holly
Holly
Owner

Return to Ask Holly