Colossians 1:24

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

Colossians 1:24

Postby geauxsaints on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:02 pm

" 24. Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church."

Having a hard time understanding what Paul is talking about here. What is lacking in Christ's afflictions?
geauxsaints

Postby Holly on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:22 pm

geauxsaints,

I'm sorry for the delayed reply! I'm not a Bible scholar (my training is in apologetics, i.e., arguments for the truth of the Christian faith). However, the notes in my NASB study Bible state: "Does not mean that there was a deficiency in the atoning sacrifice of Christ. Rather, it means that Paul suffered afflictions because he was preaching the good news of Christ's atonement. Christ suffered on the cross to atone for sin, and Paul filled up Christ's afflictions by experiencing the added sufferings necessary to carry this good news to a lost world."

This interpretation sounds correct to me, especially in light of the fact that suffering for the sake of the gospel is a common theme in the New Testament.

Hope this helps!
Holly
Owner

Return to Ask Holly