Ephesians 5:30

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

Ephesians 5:30

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:54 pm

Hello Holly,

I'm unsure as to whether this is an area of apologetics or not, but I'm asking.....hoping it is :)

I'm looking at Eph. 5:30 in 4 different versions of the Bible:

Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. KJV

Eph 5:30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh, and of His bones. LITV

Eph 5:30 because members we are of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones YLT

Eph 5:30 because we are members of His body. NASB

The only one that leaves out the reference to "His flesh and His bones" is the NASB (which I use almost exclusively.)

In researching this, most commentaries include the phrase, but Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown Commentary says this about the phrase:

The two oldest existing manuscripts, and Coptic or Memphitic version, omit "of His flesh and of His bones"; the words may have crept into the text through the Margin from Gen_2:23, Septuagint. However, Irenaeus, 294, and the old Latin and Vulgate versions, with some good old manuscripts, have them.

As I'm not knowledgeable enough in research that far back, can you tell me whether it's O.K. to include that phrase in that verse or shed some light on why we shouldn't? Thanks!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Holly on Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi Mary Ann,

This isn't an apologetics question, but I've become a sort of Bible Answer Woman on this forum so that's OK. : )

I, personally, would go with the NASB translation as it is based on the oldest and most reliable manuscripts. Additions like these tend to be found in newer manuscripts but, if they're not in the oldest ones, then they were likely added by an overhelpful scribe who thought he might "clarify" the text a little.

The NASB is a word-for-word translation from the oldest Greek manuscripts so it seems the best bet, and I'd feel safest with it.

Hope this helps!
Holly
Owner

Return to Ask Holly