Apologetics

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

Apologetics

Postby Holly on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:53 pm

Serengeti asks: Since I have been a Christian for a long time. I have been quite settled in my faith and realized I have lost contact with unbelievers and their reasoning. It came to me that I should write my own apologetic to review when I come across an unbelievers questions. Any suggestions?

I do like the Way of the Masters approach to unbelievers,however they only explore a tip of the iceberg.
Holly
Owner

Postby Holly on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi Serengeti,

I think it's a good practice to ask ourselves why we are Christians, so we will be ready to share our reasons with those who ask us. It also strengthens our faith to see that we have good, solid, logical reasons to believe as we do. I'd recommend asking yourself why you are a Christian and writing out your response. This would be a good exercise to force you to formulate your reasons. In my own thinking, I often start with asking myself why I believe the Bible is the Word of God (since our Christian beliefs come from the Bible). Then I go from there. Once I establish why I believe the Bible is the Word of God, then I can easily explain why I accept the Bible's teachings.

Also, when we share our faith with unbelievers they will ask us many questions, which will force us to think through our reasons for our beliefs. Answering questions in this forum, for example, makes me research answers and think through my own beliefs, which keeps me fresh. So, I'd recommend just sharing your faith with unbelievers and when you don't know the answers to their questions, then research them. Nothing will force you to come up with an apologetic faster than being put on the spot!

Hope this helps!
Holly
Owner

Postby Serengeti on Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:14 am

Thank you so much for this thread. I am working with a person, well, several persons raised in Christianity. She started asking me questions. My answers seem to me at least way out there. Not on her level. I think she got frustrated with me and bought her own study Bible to find the answers....LOL We have to thank God for that.

Why I believe in the Bible has changed over the 25 years. Should I start with why I first believed in the Bible? I mean I believe because I know Jesus Christ and this is the Word of God.

It seems like my reasoning would help just a select group of people. My work place, yes. We are all scientists. But what about my son's punk rocked out friends; (of whom are very tolerant with me)? I don't know how evangelists do it. One size doesn't fit all, or does it? Is there a general format that brings all sorts of individuals for Christ? Or are there many hooks for different fishes. What a world we live in.
Serengeti

Postby Holly on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:56 pm

Serengeti,

Sorry for the slow reply!

Different people have different questions and are at different places in life, so there is no one approach that works with everyone. Scientists, of course, wll be interested in scientific evidence for the Christian faith while others may not be as concerned about that line of reasoning.

Of course, all people must recognize that they are sinners in need of God's salvation, which is only available through Christ. But when it comes to sharing that message effectively with others, I think there are two crucial things that will cause people to listen to us and take seriously what we have to say: (1) the person must sense that we genuinely like/care about him or her; (2) the person must see the positive effects of Christ in our lives. These are probably two "hooks" that draw all people.

Think about the people who've had the most positive influence in your life. Chances are, they are people who cared about you and showed an interest in you as a person. There's a popular evangelism saying that goes: "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

Also, when people see what Christ has done in your life, then they will want to know what you have that they don't.

Those two things are crucial and, without them, all our knowledge and arguments for Christianity will mean little to someone. Knowledge, however, is also necessary and it's good to learn quick responses to some of the most common objections people have to Christianity. I've found that there are only a handful of objections that most people have, like "How could a good God allow evil?" and "How can Christianity be the only true religion?" With just a little time and effort, responses to these common questions can be learned by everybody. These types of questions are raised by scientists, punk kids and all other types of people. I don't think the questions differ much — just the level of argumentation.

One more thing: We should ask God for openings and opportunities to share the gospel with people and that the Holy Spirit will convict them and draw them to God. Those are prayers God answers because we are promised that the Holy Spirit will help and empower us.

I hope this helps!
Holly
Owner

Postby Serengeti on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty busy. I have found the people who do talk to me and ask me are the ones I am close to and genuinely care for. I am working on having compassion for all peoples, as Jesus does.

I'm getting frustrated, tho. I'm over complicating things. When someone asks me "why does God allow evil in the world?" A myriad of things comes to mind considering the practice of intense study over the years. The question seems to me too complicated to express a simple answer. Are there simple answers? They escape me at the moment I need them.
Serengeti

Return to Ask Holly