apocrypha

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

apocrypha

Postby soundingthealarm on Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Hi Holly,

Recently I visited a church and while the pastor was teaching he took us to a book that was not in my bible (I use NASB). One of the members noticed the perplexed look on my face and informed me that the book he mentioned- Ecclesiasticus- was in the Apocrypha. She also informed me that those in the congregation who were interested were getting Bibles with the apocrypha included in them and that the Bible the pastor was preaching from already had the apocrypha included in it. Please give me your thoughts on this. Thank you in advance.
soundingthealarm
Supporting Member

Postby Holly on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi soundingthealarm,

This is a definite cause for concern. The pastor seems to be elevating the status of the Apocrypha to Scripture. We can study the Apocrypha to provide helpful background to the Bible, but it is not Scripture. By encouraging people to buy Bibles that include the Apocrypha, the pastor seems to be elevating it to Scripture. He should be very clear when quoting the Apocrypha that it is not Scripture — but it sounds like he wasn't clear from what you shared.

Just curious: what teaching was he using this book to support?
Holly
Owner

Postby soundingthealarm on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Thank you for your response Holly.

The pastor did not make it clear at that time that this was not Scripture. I do not know, however, if he has done so prior to that meeting. The teaching was in ECCLESIASTICUS 33:5.
33:5. The heart of a fool is as a wheel of a cart: and his thoughts are like a rolling axletree.

I was taking notes prior to that but I was so confused I did not get what he was saying.

Thank you once again.
soundingthealarm
Supporting Member

Return to Ask Holly