Angels sinning!!

This forum is for questions related to Herb's views, Bible prophecy and evidence for the truth of the Bible and our Christian faith (Christian apologetics). The questions are for Holly only. One poster per thread please.

Angels sinning!!

Postby Finaldash on Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:13 am

Holly,
My wife asked me this question which I did not have a good answer to..

She said, if Heaven is so pretty and being with God is perfection then why did a third of the angels choose to rebel against God?

David
Finaldash
Supporting Member

Postby Holly on Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:22 pm

Hi David,

Good question! The angels chose to rebel against God because of their pride. They used their free will against God.

Lucifer's fall is believed to be described in Isaiah 14:12-14 and Ezekiel 28:12-18, and, in both passages, pride is given as a reason for his rebellion against God. He wasn't happy with being under God. He wanted to be like God. (Interestingly, that is the same lie Satan told Eve in the garden, that she could be like God.) It seems that a third of the angels participated in Satan's mutiny against God (Revelation 12:4). This is where demons came from.

Pride is described by the Bible as a sin God hates. In contrast, God is pleased with humility.

I hope this helps!
Last edited by Holly on Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holly
Owner

Postby studybug on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:32 am

I have a question....or maybe just an I did not know....that angels had free will....I mean I guess I knew Satan did.....well and I guess the angels that cohabitated with humans....but somehow I thought only humans had free will.....and then if God cannot be in the presence of sin then how was pride allowed to develop in heaven. Maybe God allowed a portion of angels to have pride or follow Satan because He knew his plan for humankind on earth.....our free will to choose to love Him. But there had to be an alternate choice.....for our choice to love Him to mean something?

I seem to be a rambler in my posts :bag:
sorry.....

Debbie
studybug

Postby Holly on Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:26 pm

Hi Debbie,

Sorry for the slow reply!

Yes, angels had free will, which explains the rebellion of some against God. However, it seems they are now confirmed in their original choices. Evil angels (demons) won’t repent, but are destined for judgment (Matthew 8:29; Luke 8:28, 31; Hebrews 2:16). God’s holy angels also seem to do only what is righteous.

I agree that human beings needed a choice to love God or not. God wants our love and — for love to be real and meaningful — it has to be freely given, not coerced.

Here is some background on what the Bible teaches about angels, for those who are interested. Angels were created with original righteousness and holiness (Ezekiel 28:14-15; Mark 8:38). They were created to serve God and do His bidding, including looking after saved people (Psalm 103:19-21; Hebrews 1:14).

These verses talk about Lucifer's rebellion and the angels who joined him: Isaiah 14:12-14, Ezekiel 28:12-17, 2 Peter 2:4, Jude 1:6, Revelation 12:7.

Currently, some demons are free to roam and do their evil deeds (Job 1:6, Ephesians 6:12, Revelation 12:7-9) and some are imprisoned until the final judgment (2 Peter 2:4, Jude 1:6). Demons are opposed to Christ and His Church (Matthew 16:18), they attempt to thwart the gospel (Luke 8:12), and they lie and teach false doctrine (John 8:44, 1 Timothy 4:1). Their tactics include temptation, accusation and deception, which they can accomplish through their counterfeit knowledge (Isaiah 8:19-20) and counterfeit power (Isaiah 47:8-15).

I hope this helps!
Last edited by Holly on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holly
Owner

Postby studybug on Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:16 pm

Thanks Holly,
I will look up those verses.

Debbie
studybug

Return to Ask Holly