Falling away in the end times

This forum contains answers from Herb to many questions about Bible prophecy.

Falling away in the end times

Postby Englishrose on Sun May 06, 2007 8:05 am

Hi Herb - I'm new to the board and I'm finding some of the debates heavy going. I'm not sure I understand what it means for christians to 'fall away'. Most of us backslide at some point, but when we repent we realise that the Lord has waited patiently for us. If you are born of the spirit then surely that can't be taken away can it? So, even if some aren't ready for the Lord's return and disappoint Him in that respect, he won't turn His back on them will he?
Englishrose

Postby Herb on Mon May 07, 2007 2:42 pm

Englishrose

You are asking me a personally difficult question -- can we lose our salvation? This issue has been the subject of much debate and, as of now, I have never been satisfied with anyone's answer. I lean in the direction of eternal security of the believer. Yet, I also know that salvation isn't something we should take lightly. I had a friend who killed himself after being told he could do so, and still go to heaven. And Paul tells us we are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. He also tells us in places that we are saved "if" we hold fast our confession. And, Jesus says if we deny Him, He also will deny us. Yet, I also know that salvation isn't something that we do, it's something that God does. So, after probably confusing you more, I'll end by saying, I still don't know the answer to your question for sure. I'm sorry.

Herb
_2 Timothy 4:1-4__Image
Herb
FP Founder

Return to Ask Herb