Asking for help with a statement of beliefs

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Asking for help with a statement of beliefs

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:02 pm

A friend invited me to visit her church and when I went to their web site to check out their beliefs, I found this one. The one I'm questioning is #9. I've never heard the church referred to this way before. Is this correct doctrinally? The Pastor of this church also refers to himself as a Bishop. I've only heard that in Episcopal or RC churches. What do you think?

Doctrinal Statement

1. The Bible, both the Old and New Testament, is the only infallible authority concerning God, His Word, His principles and deeds which were revealed to the writers by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. (II Tim 3:16; II Pet 1:21)

2. There is One God who is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent, revealed in the three distinct persons of the Trinity-God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. (Deut. 6:4; Matt 28:19; 1Cor 8:6)

3. Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh - a fact proven by His virgin birth, sinless life, His works and words, His sacrificial atoning death on the cross, His defeat of the forces of darkness in hell, His bodily resurrection, His appearances to His disciples and His ascension to the right hand of the Father. (Luke 1:26-38: Isaiah 7:17; Hebrews 4:15; John 14:9-11; Gal. 1:4; Col. 2:15; Luke 24; Col. 3:1)

4. Jesus Christ is Absolute Lord over all things because of what He has done. (Phil 2:6-11; Heb 1:4)

5. The only means of salvation from eternal damnation and to the life eternal with God in Paradise is by accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior. In accepting Jesus, an individual's human spirit is born of God by the regenerative power of the Holy Spirit. (Rom 10:9-10) Acts 4:12; John 3:3-8; II Cor 5:17)

6. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is available to all believers and is freely given to all those who ask for it (Acts 2:1-4; Luke 11:13)

7. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit empowers each believer to do the works of Jesus Christ. It is further evidenced by the manifestation of spiritual gifts. (John 14:12; Acts 2:1; 1 Cor. 12: 4-11)

8. The Church, as the bride of Christ, will be caught up to meet Jesus on the Great Day of His second coming before that "great and terrible day of the Lord" known as tribulation. (1 Thess. 4:16-18; Acts 1:11)

9. The Church's purpose is to be God's representative figure here on this earth; to bring the Good News of salvation to the lost; to heal the sick and to set the captives free from the bondage of the evil one; and to reestablish the Kingdom of God. (II Cor. 5:18-20; Acts 1:8; Matt. 28: 18-20 Mark 16:15-18; Luke 11: 1-4)

Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Be still on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:31 pm

It does smack of the "Vicar of Christ" doesn't it.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:43 pm

You know, here's what's a little scary......The rest of the Statement of Beliefs seems scriptural. Then there's just one line stuck in there that makes the antennae go up.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Be still on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:50 pm

And it's the last one :eek:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Peacebloom on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:25 pm

The part that I really don't like is the claim that it is the Church's duty to "reestablish the Kingdom of God." Since when? Last I checked, we need Jesus to physically reestablish God's Kingdom. We can't just do it ourselves and say we were empowered by Jesus... Definitely scary. I know that we're only human, but by making only one false statement out of nine, the reader has already been assured by the first eight right ones before the wrong. That makes the reader say, "Well it must be true. They are well established and everything else they say is right. I should take their word for it." Personally, I'll take God's Word for it.

Much love,
Peacebloom
Peacebloom

Return to Bible Study Q & A