Progressive Revelation

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Progressive Revelation

Postby Abiding in His Word on Thu May 11, 2006 6:12 am

I have heard the term but never done one iota of research or study about it. As I've read the Bible over the years, however, I do see a progression of revelation to God's people from Genesis to Revelation. And as far as the "book" of Revelation, we know that we have not "progressed" to the point of God revealing everything in it.

Does anyone see evidence in scripture of progressive revelation? I would prefer that we not refer to other's beliefs on it, but only on our own understanding of the way God has dealt with his people from the OT to the NT.

Anyone see this as I do?
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Bob the Quiet on Thu May 11, 2006 6:25 am

Yup, I see a progression of Revelation throughout the Bible as well.

For example, Adam and Eve were given the very first Messianic Prophesy...but they only knew there would be a Messiah...they didn't know any particulars. Then Moses was given another, proclaiming that the LORD would raise up a prophet like him...and the Israelite who did not receive that prophet would be cut off from Israel. So...now it was known that there would be a Messiah...and if you didn't accept Him you were in a whole heap of trouble. Then after this we have the Prophets and other writers giving all the specifics...though the prophecies in Psalm and elsewhere were obscured so that the Jews would actually go ahead and sacrifice Jesus rather than believe on Him and not crucify Him. The Messiah in His Redeemer mode wasn't fully revealed until after the Resurrection.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson

Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
-Thomas Jefferson

Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
-Thomas Jefferson
Bob the Quiet
Supporting Member

Hi

Postby gracie on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:18 pm

Hi,

Absolutely! We begin as babes in Christ, and we grow into mature men/woman of God, by allowing the holy spirit to teach us. I beleive even Paul had to grow in knowledge, he did not understand all things from day one.

We are told to grow in grace and in knowledge....and, that to me is about the same as progressive revelation.

A couple of examples...

ephesians 4

11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

also:

1peter 2:
1 Peter 2 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

1 Peter 2
1Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, all evil speakings,

2As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

In my opinion, it is when we lay a foundation of something other than THIS, that we can lack real growth. We must first understand the essencials in a right way, and then we can begin to really grow.

~peace~

janet
I once was lost, but now I am found...by grace.

amen.
gracie

Return to Bible Study Q & A