Dating of the Book of Job

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Dating of the Book of Job

Postby Mark F on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:41 am

Has anyone ever considered the dating of the book of Job?

I was reading through it recently and a few thoughts crossed my mind......(imagine that!).

In 22:22 "Receive, please, instruction from His mouth, And lay up His words in your heart."

and 23:12 "I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth More than my necessary food."

Here Job talks of receiving instruction from God's words. What would the source be? Abraham spoke with God and it is clear in the text, in Job we get none of that.

Also, the dating of the Sabeans is 1200 BC to 275 AD. This seems to Make Job more of a contemporary of Moses, not pre- Moses.

I suspect the scholars who early date have good reason but I was wondering if anyone has read a good commentary as to why they give the book such an early date. I have read that there are those that think Job was not an actual person, of course that's not unheard of, but a later date would make that more difficult.
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Find a seven year covenant Jesus makes with anybody plainly stated in Scripture.
Mark F

Re: Dating of the Book of Job

Postby Jericho on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:52 am

I don't know what their reasoning is, but I don't see any indication that when the Book of Job was written, the Levitical priesthood or Law of Moses was even established yet. Biblical scholars will also place the Book of Daniel at an earlier date, and they do so because they don't believe in the bible to begin with. So, I don't put much stock into what they say.

In 22:22 "Receive, please, instruction from His mouth, And lay up His words in your heart."

and 23:12 "I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth More than my necessary food."

Here Job talks of receiving instruction from God's words. What would the source be? Abraham spoke with God and it is clear in the text, in Job we get none of that.

What makes it not clear? I would think the surrounding context makes it clear where he's getting it from. Job refers to God as "Shaddai", which means the Almighty. The first occurrence of this word is use in Gen 17:1 when God changes Abram's name to Abraham.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Mark F on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:14 pm

My questioning isn't so much when it was written, it could have been Moses time, I expect Job was before Moses, so if the writer was telling Job's story he would have no need to mention the Tabernacle or priesthood.

I am wondering when Job most likely would have lived, was he a contemporary of Abraham?

The info I have read about the Sabeans is that the oldest dating of their kingdom is 1200 BC, others date them closer to 800 BC. Moses is dated near 1575-1355 BC, so if Job is pre-Moses, who are the Sabeans mentioned in chapter 1?

What is Job referring to when he says God's words? Oral teachings passed on?

I find these things interesting. Like Abel knew to sacrifice a lamb. Abraham had Sarah prepare a fellowship, or peace offering to the Lord and the two with Him on their way to Sodom and Gomorrah as their meal in Genesis 18.

I'm just wondering if anyone has pondered this....
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Find a seven year covenant Jesus makes with anybody plainly stated in Scripture.
Mark F

Postby Jericho on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Chuck Missler usually goes pretty deep into the bible. You might want to check out his series on Job, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txjg9l1H9y0&list=PLhQ7MrI_cipNNa_0vrBP7eOqjFbnHkRf3&ytbChannel=6640book.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby 4givenmuch on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:51 pm

The Book of Enoch talks about Enoch coming back to earth for one year, before he is raptured on his 365th birthday. He doesn't want to come back after being in heaven, but God wants him to instruct his sons on what will happen. It's been a while since I've done the math, but Enoch would have had Lamech (Noah's dad) for sure around his bedside telling him of the flood to come. It makes sense because Noah knew the truth and was faithful against all odds. Perhaps Job had heard some of the same stories?
Seek Humility!
4givenmuch
Supporting Member

Postby Mark F on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:21 am

4givenmuch wrote:The Book of Enoch talks about Enoch coming back to earth for one year, before he is raptured on his 365th birthday. He doesn't want to come back after being in heaven, but God wants him to instruct his sons on what will happen. It's been a while since I've done the math, but Enoch would have had Lamech (Noah's dad) for sure around his bedside telling him of the flood to come. It makes sense because Noah knew the truth and was faithful against all odds. Perhaps Job had heard some of the same stories?

Noah looks to have died just a couple of years before Abraham was born, which means his father was alive with Noah, Shem, and his sons. Ham and Japheth went their own way and moved their families, but the line of faith came through Noah and Shem. I expect they passed on what they knew of God orally.

I read one commentator that said Adam wrote the first books of Genesis - I believe what Jesus said, Moses did, because God could reveal to Moses with more accuracy what happened in Adam's time.....
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Mark F

Postby Jay Ross on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Mark F wrote:<snip>

Noah looks to have died just a couple of years before Abraham was born, which means his father was alive with Noah, Shem, and his sons. Ham and Japheth went their own way and moved their families, but the line of faith came through Noah and Shem. I expect they passed on what they knew of God orally.

I read one commentator that said Adam wrote the first books of Genesis - I believe what Jesus said, Moses did, because God could reveal to Moses with more accuracy what happened in Adam's time.....

Mark if you compile a chronology of the Patriarch, from Genesis, you will see that Noah died when Abraham was around 58 years old, after Abraham had moved to Haran with His Father. Peleg was alive during Abraham's early life and died when Abraham was around 48 years of age.

Terah, Abraham's father, died around 60 years after Abraham had left Haran when Abraham was around 135 years old.

Shalom

PS: - From my work on the Chronology of the Patriarchs, I calculated that Abraham was born around the year 2150 BC.

Edited to fix bad sentence construction.
Last edited by Jay Ross on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Ross

Postby Jericho on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:46 pm

I am wondering when Job most likely would have lived, was he a contemporary of Abraham?

According to Missler, Job's age is a clue to when he may have lived. After the flood the age of mankind began to tapper off rather quickly. Job was about 200 years old when he died, which would put him around the same age as Abraham's father Terah, who lived to be 205. Abraham lived to be 175, Issac lived to be 180, and Jacob lived to 147, etc. So Job probably lived around the time of the patriarchs, or a little before.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Mark F on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Jericho wrote:

According to Missler, Job's age is a clue to when he may have lived. After the flood the age of mankind began to tapper off rather quickly. Job was about 200 years old when he died, which would put him around the same age as Abraham's father Terah, who lived to be 205. Abraham lived to be 175, Issac lived to be 180, and Jacob lived to 147, etc. So Job probably lived around the time of the patriarchs, or a little before.

I like Chuck Missler too, I have not heard that series but I will, thanks Jericho
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Mark F

Return to Bible Study Q & A