an opportune time??

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

an opportune time??

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:13 pm

Scripture reading Luke 4:1-13 Jesus' temptation in the wilderness

Here's the little phrase that has escaped me until yesterday....

When the devil had finished every temptation, he left Him until an opportune time. Luke 4:13

Whatever does that mean in terms of the beginning of Jesus ministry? Do we know of other temptations Satan deemed the appropriate time? Or isn't that little phrase too important? I just found it interesting that it hadn't caught my eye before.

I don't think there's a "right or wrong" answer, but I'd like to hear any thoughts about it; speculative or otherwise.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: an opportune time??

Postby Ready1 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:17 pm

We need to remember that Satan desires the position that God occupies. He has attempted to remove every possibility throughout all time that the seed of the woman "...shall bruise thy head." This threefold temptation, at the beginning of Jesus ministry was simply another attempt to subvert the design of God. But there were many, many others. (Remember that when Jesus was a baby that Satan, through Herod, attempted to have him murdered.)

During Jesus lifetime, Satan lost ground with every confrontation of Jesus. Sin was forgiven, people saw. lame walked, indwelling devil's were cast out, lepers were cleansed, dead men were raised to life, lives were changed.

But Satan continued to try. And at an "opportune time" he finally convinced a disgruntled disciple to betray him. And "at an opportune time" he swayed the leaders, who swayed the crowd, and they killed Jesus. Victory was his! Until three days later when Satan's biggest victory...

...turned into his greatest defeat. JESUS ROSE FROM THE GRAVE in victory over death, hell, and the grave!

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Oh, excellent points, Ready1! So it seems the "opportune time" wasn't necessarily a one-time occasion but a series of attempts to eliminate or discredit the Messiah. Interesting. I was thinking of when Jesus was telling His disciples that He was going to die and Peter rebuked Him. Jesus said in return....

Mat 16:23 But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but man's."

Peter was evidently a rather impulsive man so it seems Satan used this weakness in his behavior. But Jesus recognized who was behind those hasty words of Peter's to shift the focus from the spiritual to the carnal.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby extravagantchristian on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:41 pm

I would say that satan always tempts us when we're weak. "Resist the devil and he will flee from you"... until next time.
extravagantchristian

Postby Mark F on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:14 am

An opportune time is not used in most English translations (at least the ones I checked). "Until another time" or "for a time", or "for a season" are others, the use of the word opportune adds something the others do not.

In E-Sword the two Greek words don't seem to give that definition, the first "achri, or achris" would be the "for a" part of the phrase, it also could be "until."

The second word, "kairos" is the last part. Here is the definition given: "Of uncertain affinity; an occasion, that is, set or proper time: - X always, opportunity, (convenient, due) season, (due, short, while) time, a while."

I would understand that as either an opportunity, or time, or season. I am not sure "opportune" and "time" are both meant. The definition as worded doesn't imply the "more opportune" part you know? Just that it would be another time. If it is that way and I am wrong (entirely probable) then the reading could also be "in a short time" or "in due time."

IMO it changes the intended meaning, but I am not a literary expert for sure.
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Find a seven year covenant Jesus makes with anybody plainly stated in Scripture.
Mark F

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:36 am

I would understand that as either an opportunity, or time, or season. I am not sure "opportune" and "time" are both meant. The definition as worded doesn't imply the "more opportune" part you know? Just that it would be another time. If it is that way and I am wrong (entirely probable) then the reading could also be "in a short time" or "in due time."

Mark, I did check 8-9 other versions in E-Sword and found the NASB, ESV, and the English Majority Text version use the phrase "opportune time." I found it interesting that the NASB uses the double Greek word meaning which I believe conveys a particular emphasis. So the NASB (my preferred choice of Bibles) w/Strong numbers reads this way...

Luke 4:13 Now when the devil had completed every temptation, he departed from Him until (achri,) an opportune (G2540) time (G2540).

Do you or anyone know if this was the only 1:1 confrontation Jesus and Satan had? I think that Satan knows his time is limited to "bruise him on the heel" and that would explain his careful focus on a specific future time to accomplish this.

I'm not a literary expert either!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jay Ross on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:37 pm

Hello

An interesting observation, Abiding.

If one has the proper tools available then the following can be discovered with respect to the Greek roots found in Luke 4:13 that are G:891 and G:2540.

The Greek Root G:891 is found in 49 Greek words, and there are 5 variation of these Greek words. The variation of the Greek word with the base root of G:891, as found in Luke 4:13 is also found in another 41 New Testament verses with the first 5 references from the 42 occurrences of the same Greek word, provided below: -

Matthew 24:38: – For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,

Luke 1:20 : – But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time."

Luke 4:13: – Now when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from Him until {the} time.

Luke 17:27: – They ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until that day Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all

Luke 21:24: – And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

Acts 1:2: – until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen,

The Greek Root G:2540 is found in 85 Greek words, and there are 10 variation of these Greek words. The variation of the Greek word with the base root of G:2540, as found in Luke 4:13 is also found in another 6 New Testament verses, are provided below: -

Matthew 8:29: – And suddenly they cried out, saying, "What have we to do with You, Jesus, You Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?"

Luke 4:13: – Now when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from Him until {the} time.

Acts 13:11: – And now, indeed, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you shall be blind, not seeing the sun for a time."

And immediately a dark mist fell on him, and he went around seeking someone to lead him by the hand.

Romans 8:18: – For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

1 Corinthians 4:5: – Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one's praise will come from God.

Hebrews 9:10: – concerned only with foods and drinks, various washings, and fleshly ordinances imposed until the time of reformation.

Revelations 12:14: – But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent.

Based on the above, it would seem to me that Satan withdrew from attempting to tempt Jesus until the time when he will be allowed to do so for second time.

It is important to note that the verse is silent as to when that time will be with respect to occurrence of the Luke 4 time of temptation.

Shalom

PS: - I have come to the conclusion over a number of years that E-Sword is not an appropriate Bible study tool because of the information that it does not provide that it should. My conclusion is based on the fact that many people use it outside of its obvious limitations and as such draw wrong conclusion.
Jay Ross

Return to Bible Study Q & A