Decisional Regeneration

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Decisional Regeneration

Postby Keeping Alert on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:35 pm

Over the weekend I did a serious study about the altar call... A practice apparently started by Charles Finley in the 1700's.

Opponents are quick to point out that nowhere in the bible is anyone asked to make a decision for Christ.

When I drilled deeper down, it goes all the way to a very serious theological understanding between Monergism vs Synergism I.e. is God fully solely responsible for all aspects of salvation or is man somehow cooperative in his salvation. It is an issue of Calvinism.

Oh, the things that we learn every day! I call myself a 5-point TULIP Calvinist but yet I believe in Decisional Regeneration! I must in error somewhere!

So I searched articles an articles on the topic and opponents to Decisional Regeneration wants us to differentiate it from Divine Regeneration and goes as far as to say that Decisional Regeneration is a form of Salvation by works like the error of Baptism Regeneration.

Suffice to say, that why I practise the altar call or asking a person to pray a sinner's prayer is from the concept of ASK

Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

9 "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more your Heavenly Father will give good gifts to those who ask him?

But I would like to hear your views...
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Re: Decisional Regeneration

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:37 pm

I don't believe in a "preferred" method of being born again of the spirit. That said, I'm not opposed to altar calls or invitations to come forward to receive/ask for prayer in a church setting.

There are many, many testimonies of people who find Jesus in a variety of ways apart from a church, Bible, or a particular prayer using particular words, etc. I know of one woman who came to the Lord during an episode of Star Wars, another in a consignment shop, another (me) from reading the Cross and the Switchblade and the Jesus Christ Superstar broadway play. The disciples just dropped everything because a man said "follow me." Paul didn't follow any particular plan or method and had a remarkable new birth experience.

In the end, I'm pretty much opposed to insisting on any type of methodology. :wink:

ETA: I should have summarized by agreeing with you about this:

Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Those who want to find Christ, can and will. We should make ourselves available to answer questions or provide help if needed, however.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Mark F on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:35 am

I would agree with Abiding that there isn't a clear and concise method given in Scripture that everyone must follow to be born again. I may question a "star wars" conversion :) but who knows what Scripture they were exposed to before they popped in the DVD. :eek:

I also agree that you are correct in that the tenants of Calvinism can be demonstrated from Scripture.

Again I also would point out that our responsibility to believe the gospel is equally clear in Scripture.

All of this has much Scripture we could quote to bolster each position, but the fact remains they are both true at the same time making it for all intents and purposes practically impossible to clearly comprehend. I have found that I must believe what the Bible clearly states and just trust God has it all figured out.

I will say that I believe that Scripture is abundantly clear that people need to know and comprehend certain facts before they can be converted, they are not limited to but include things such as the fact that the person is a sinner who has sinned against the eternal God and that He will not just look the other way. People must believe Jesus is who He claimed to be and that He alone can save them from their sin.

I believe that unless one understands with clarity who knows what they may be believing in.
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Find a seven year covenant Jesus makes with anybody plainly stated in Scripture.
Mark F

Postby Keeping Alert on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:14 am

Amen!

Yes, I would agree that before the altar call or asking anyone to make a decision for Christ, the full gospel must be laid out to the person... It is an "informed consent" if you may...

Once a person makes the "informed consent" that he is a sinner that can only be saved because of what Jesus accomplished on the cross for him, that he would like to receive Jesus Christ as his savior, based on Jesus' assurance in Matthew 7:7 what do we think happens?

I believe that is exactly what happens! There is rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents!

The opponents of Decisional Regeneration would like to point us to the fact that many who claimed to have prayed the Sinner's Prayer have fallen away primarily based on their behavior thereafter... That they belittle the prayer in various ways...

Which makes me sad... If God does not answer the prayer of sincere people even if it is for that one moment that that people felt the tug of the Holy Spirit to do so, then what sort of prayers do God answer? If for the gift of salvation, God does withhold even if I pray for it, then how can I be assured of the answer of any other prayer? If salvation is never works based in the first place, then why would God not grant salvation through the simple act of ASKING?

Now, what people often ask to see as "proof of salvation" is the work of Sanctification whether or not a man would deny his flesh and walk in the Spirit. The man can now walk in the Spirit whereas he previously could not... But the flesh which has yet to be redeemed (till the rapture or the resurrection) wars against the Spirit...
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby Abiding in His Word on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:59 am

J.B. Phillips wrote a book entitled, "Your God is Too Small" and while I haven't read it, I have heard it referenced by a teacher many years ago. He challenged many of the modern constraints we place the image of God and our understanding of Him.

God does not demand a "sign-on-the-dotted line" contract from one who is searching for Him. He does not have a list of "musts, shoulds, have-to's" that He's checking off until completed to His satisfaction. He isn't saying, "Uh-oh...you didn't say the right words; try again!" He doesn't ask if you've read the Bible before coming to Him.

"Now, here's the list of rules you must follow; Sunday service; regular fellowship; service to others; abstain from alcohol; careful choice of clothing; agree to discipline if necessary; obey all those in authority; and above all TITHE!!!"

Who in the world would want to be a Christian, decisional or otherwise?? :roll:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mark s on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:49 pm

All who call upon the Lord shall be saved.

:a3:
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby redeemed1953 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:50 pm

mark s wrote:All who call upon the Lord shall be saved.

:a3:

I agree, if you have been drawn by the Holy Spirit, you will call upon the Name of the Lord and He will answer.
I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Saviour...John Newton
redeemed1953

Postby mark s on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:03 am

Jesus said that if He were to be lifted up (a reference to the cross) He would draw everyone to Himself.

God wants all to be saved.
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Sonbeam on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:48 pm

As per the scriptures, there is only one very specific way to be “saved.” A person must be born again of the Spirit. And it is God who performs the ceremony.

And He is not swayed or manipulated by what a person does or says, i.e. “know he/she is a ‘sinner’,” “walk down to the altar, “say the ‘sinner’s prayer,” etc., etc., but He looks on the person’s heart to see his faith in response to the Gospel.

Isa 11:2-4
He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
or decide by what he hears with his ears;
4 but with righteousness he will judge the needy,
with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.

Matthew 5:3
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Return to Bible Study Q & A