Prayer

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Prayer

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:29 am

It's a big subject, isn't it? I know there are lots of reasons to pray; i.e. supplication, adoration, thanksgiving, intercession. But if prayer is communication with God, here's my question. Do we really have to know the "right words" in order to pray for another person? I've so often heard believers ask what the need is so they know how to pray.

You can call me a Simple Sally, but I just pray something like this:

"Lord I'm praying for Joe right now...you know the need."

Sometimes I don't feel much like praying and/or don't have a particular purpose. At times like that, I've been known to say something like this:

"Lord, it's me. Just wanted to touch base with you today. Thanks for loving me." (Sometimes I identify myself by my home address just in case there's more than one with my name in the world. :) (silly, I know, but I still do it. He knows I'm being silly. :wink:

In my town, we spend an inordinate amount of time sitting at red lights. I often pray for the people in cars near mine while we're waiting. My prayer might go something as simple as:

"Lord, bless those people in that car. "

I know it doesn't sound very spiritual, but isn't it? I know how much I appreciate a phone call from my sons saying they just want to say "hi." Nothing special on their minds, just want to touch base. Doesn't God love our touching base for no particular reason?

What do you think? How do you pray?
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: Prayer

Postby Sunny on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:26 am

Abiding, that's pretty much how I pray. Sometimes, I will pray urgently for a situation if I know the details. If I don't know what to pray, I remember the scripture that says the Holy Spirit prays with groaning that cannot be uttered according to the will of God for that person, and just ask God to take care of them and meet their needs.

My whole day is pretty much an ongoing internal conversation with God. If I see a really gorgeous flower, I'll say, "Wow, God! You really outdid yourself on that one!" Sometimes when I see pathetic circumstances, I just think, "Oh, Jesus!" When I have to go up on a ladder I pray for Jesus to send angels to keep me from falling. I pray for others' marriages and their emotional and spiritual health. I guess I pray about anything that concerns me without even thinking of it because it is no natural.

I really rarely pray great, urgent petitions unless I am moved by an overwhelming need. And sometimes I feel guilty because I don't spend an hour on my knees in prayer like the oldtimers say we should.

But my relationship with Jesus works, so I guess it's okay. :)
Sunny

Postby burien1 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:27 pm

I keep it short and sweet at times."Lord, you know their situation," and I know he does. I act like a child at times and just ask for a good parking spot. I always, whether short , simple, or long, and praying for a lot of needs for others at one time, always tell him I love him, and "thank you," and always pray "according to His will, not mine."
I have sometimes just cried, and told Him He knows better than me what is on my heart and trust His Spirit to intercede for me.
I know that he loves me and is my father, but I also never forget the price paid for me to come before that throne. And that he is God.

Now that I think about it, I always tell Him I love him. Most times even at the beginning of prayer. Hadn't realized that till I thought about it.
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Sunny on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:32 pm

Now that I think about it, I always tell Him I love him. Most times even at the beginning of prayer. Hadn't realized that till I thought about it.

So do I. Many times a day!

It's funny how many years it took me to accept that God really did LOVE me! And once I did, my love for Him grew by leaps and bounds. Just like any other relationship, I guess it's the trust factor.
Sunny

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:41 am

James 5:16King James Version (KJV)
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

effectual: It's an adjective
(typically of something inanimate or abstract) successful in producing a desired or intended result; effective.

Fervent defined: It's an adjective
having or displaying a passionate intensity.

I am not criticizing others for their manner in prayer. In some respects, I think it's that we should do as we feel is right, as scripture tells us. That being said, for me, I have been hit hard in my spirit to the extent that I am grieved for others sometimes and this is where I feel the need...THE NEED....to pray intensely for others or about situations....or I feel that it is imperative that I do so.

Also, for me, praying for those I don't want to pray for changes my heart. When someone does me wrong and I want revenge, I have to go before God and pray for them and it causes me to search my heart and repent of my ill will towards another.

I do not believe that what others ask me to pray for is always God's Will, nor do I believe that my will for something is necessarily God's Will, and so after realizing what kind of submission this requires for me, I have learned to pray for God's Will in all things and even in the things that concern and deal with me. Also, I have learned to pray that the Lord help me to accept His Will in circumstances if it may be something I wouldn't particularly like or agree with. This has taught me submission to the Will of the Lord. I think this is important for all Christians, because I personally know several people in my own life who wanted something, prayed for it, even offering to do extra things if only the Lord would just give them this one thing they desired, and when it didn't come to pass, they turned on the Lord. I have even been sitting around minding my business and been led by the Lord to pick up the phone and call a certain person and tell them the Lord was moving me to call and instruct them to pray the Lord's Prayer for 30 days. That really happened. The words in the Lord's Prayer are powerful and instructive to the spirit and I really think everyone should seriously look at the prayer and consider its meaning.

In offering effectual and fervent prayer, at least in my view, I must give thought and care and concern to what I am asking for in my prayer. I put my energy into my prayers for others...meaning I don't just say "God, please fix x person's problems" but instead, I exert myself in praying for specifics. In that respect, I adore reading Spreading Salts prayers here on FP, because I take from her examples in things I might ask for.

I also believe that as scripture instructs, if we are in agreement with another's prayers, we should join them in their requests. As such, I do that in prayer as well.

Like many others on this thread have said, I do as Christ instructed (as oft' as I am able to remember through the day) and I pray ceaselessly. I pray for others often and I try to always ask for help with things in my own life. I am also aware of sin in my life when I find myself unwilling to pray for something because I want things to go a certain way.....and believe me, there are times when I know what I want is wrong or I am angry and I refuse to pray about it...where almost all other times I would not refuse.

Prayer offers me an opportunity to really have faith. Last night my husband and I went blackberry picking. We were in thickets. My husband was stressing me about the snakes and how much they like berries, so after about the 3rd warning, I started praying out loud for the Lord to protect us, make our senses keen and keep His beautiful creatures safe from us and us safe from them so that we could relax and enjoy our opportunity to pick His beautiful natural and wild berries. Once or twice while in the thickets my husband reminded me about the snakes again and I reminded him that I had prayed out loud for us about that and I was going to have perfect peace and just simply enjoy my time in the briar patch getting all of the Lords beautiful berries....I meant it...and I did it....

NASB Mark 11: 23 "Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be taken up and cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted him.

Just a few thoughts that came immediately to mind.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:59 am

As soon as I posted, I thought of something else that I am not sure is instructed in scripture, but that I practice....

I do not like to repeatedly pray about something for someone....like a need. I am willing to do it, particularly here on FP, and that's because I want to communicate to members who have asked for prayer that I am thinking of them, that I care and that I join them in making their requests before the Lord......BUT.....Instead of repeatedly praying for others sometimes, I prefer to remind myself that I have taken that request before the Lord and to wait on the Lord for His response to my prayer. I do not need to repeatedly take things to Him as I feel He heard my request the first time and that He will answer my prayer in accordance with His Timing and His Will.

Also, I believe that in our prayers, when we are asking the Lord to bless us or others, that it's important that we desire these things for the Glory of the Father and Christ Jesus. I visited a church once whose pastor, in closing prayers, always prayed for the saints of the church ...asking Him to help us so that it would bring glory to Him.....so beautiful.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby keithareilly on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 pm

You know,

I am not much on asking things.
Mostly I pray to be a better person for myself, healing for others both spiritually and physically.
Funny, the older I get the less I am deluded about who I am (I hope). My new church talks a lot about transformation and growth. But, I am quite surprised how few can relate to the suffering that goes along with transformation. When I read the scriptures now I remember how I used to not understand and now I do, intimately. This is my evidence of answered prayers. When I was young I feared God because I was a sinner and was working on overcoming sin. Now, after having delusion after delusion stripped away, I fear God because of his trials that purify me. I am not sure how I can communicate the terror I fear at undergoing new trials and more change and at the very same time to trust God so much as to say OK I am ready for more.

I know he loves me because of the changes he has already wrought in me.
But I tell you this: Truly, the wise man does not pray for wisdom.

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Sunny on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Keith, I relate to everything you wrote.

I, too, fear the next round of testing. Because it does involve pain, suffering and purifying.

And I also know God loves me and is intimately involved in my spiritual growth due to the changes I see in myself.

God bless you, brother. :)
Sunny

Postby keithareilly on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks Sunny.

Sometimes I feel like an aberration. Glad to know I am not alone.

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:15 am

keithareilly wrote:Thanks Sunny.

Sometimes I feel like an aberration. Glad to know I am not alone.

Keith

Hardly, Brother. There are many, just hard to find in this world, sometimes. Seems I run into them when I need them most in my life. I call them, His Faithful Witnesses. Hopefully I am one at times too. As for wisdom, many decades ago I asked for just that. Woof. Don't know when I will get there, but it's been quite a ride, and something I will not ever regret, except for my own human part. Being a sheep can be tough, it seems they are always looking for a way to die, alone and miserable. But how joyful when the Shepherd comes. Something I have learned, to be careful what I ask for, I will likely get it. But, it might not come the way I expect. I just don't have the ability to think out all the details. He does, and I think I might get in His way. Praying to do His Will is not necessarily fearful. Doing his Will, I have discovered, is the most natural, joyful thing, an expression of His gift to me. It's just that, in this world, of time, I don't get to do it all the time. So when I get impatient, I try to remember an old horseman's saying, prepare to prepare, adding this, through prayer. And let Him provide, He knows the details, and the timing. Another thing, we have the most incredible gift, resembling that of our Father through Christ. The power of forgiveness. For each other, for a perceived enemy, a reflection of His love for us. In the realities of this, is the true Witness. O to Love like that, as we are Loved.

God Bless You

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:43 am

Exit40 wrote: So when I get impatient, I try to remember an old horseman's saying, prepare to prepare, adding this, through prayer.

....fair warning...don't ever pray for patience! :lol:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby keithareilly on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:51 am

David,

Thanks.

I am at a point in life where I am just wearied of all the wickedness.
It is to the point where wickedness almost seems physical instead of ideological.
It is hard to want to be here anymore.
Yet, it seems God has more for me to do here and I don't know what it is.

When I was young I was a planner and executor.
I am having trouble waiting.
But, I know there are periods where what is in the crucible is simply getting hotter;
And periods where what is in the crucible is melting.
I am in that melting stage right now so there is nothing to do but wait and change.

The good news is I like myself for the first time in my long life.
It has been a long road. Not done yet, but a long road.

My best prayers are when I am able to be honest;
And that is hardest because I am not always in touch with my heart.
Business of all sorts gets in the way of talking with the Spirit of God who lives with me.
I am glad He is able to pray on my behalf even when I don't talk to Him honestly.
He knows me better than I know myself. He knows others better than they know themselves.
He knows what to say, even when am out of touch with my own feelings and needs.
He knows what to say, even when am out of touch with others feelings and needs.

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby extravagantchristian on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:46 am

I pray that way too, short prayers, and to the point. I might say, "Lord, i pray that you would bless so and so", or Lord, please save so and so" or please give them faith, or mercy, or please be with them and help them to believe. He knows what i mean. And if i see a specific need then ill pray more specifically. But i agree that it doesnt have to be a long wordy prayer for God to hear it. He hears each word. Another thing i might pray is, Lord, please show me how i can be a blessing to them." and then listen for a responce. Here lately when i pray for myself, it usually goes something like this: "Lord i dont even know what to pray right now, but please help me"
extravagantchristian

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:04 am

Hi Keith. Well said, and I do understand your meaning. I am tired of making my same mistakes with variants all over again, they are harder to live with. But, maybe it's not about me, instead, those around me. His ways are not our ways. I am tired of 40 miles of bad road. And tired of the world and worldly using me. And dark getting darker. At times it is almost palpable. A bit reminiscent of Egypt, before the Hebrews were set free. A precedent maybe ? But, like I told my growing kids many years ago, if it was easy anyone could do it. Trying to get ready for the next challenge, preparing to prepare. It will come, one way or another. Patience and faith, relying on the Lord, who cannot fail. He made no mistake choosing us to serve Him. Nor did we choosing to do so.

Eph 2:10: For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

God Bless You Brother

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby keithareilly on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:....fair warning...don't ever pray for patience!

How many children do you have?

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:48 pm

keithareilly wrote:How many children do you have?

Two sons; both adults now. But I got your point. :mrgreen:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Sunny on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:51 pm

I am at a point in life where I am just wearied of all the wickedness.
It is to the point where wickedness almost seems physical instead of ideological.
It is hard to want to be here anymore.
Yet, it seems God has more for me to do here and I don't know what it is.

I think a lot of us are there, Keith. I am.

There is one scarier prayer than praying for wisdom. It is praying that you will be conformed to the image of Christ. Repeatedly.

Talk about a rough ride!

I have found a small work that I believe the Lord has led me to. And I am consciously aware that it puts me square in the middle of a target for those who hate God's word. And that sometimes scares me too. Other times I look past that to the reward.

As for children, thank God Almighty mine are long since grown. I couldn't do it in this day and time.

You will be in my prayers.
Sunny

Postby keithareilly on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Abiding: :wink:

Sunny, and you in mine.
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby keithareilly on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:45 pm

Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

Notice that words, or mans speaking language, does not necessarily have the capacity to support prayer.
The spoken language vocabulary lacks the depth to truly express our needs: for words are shallow.

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:53 pm

keithareilly wrote:Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

Notice that words, or mans speaking language, does not necessarily have the capacity to support prayer.
The spoken language vocabulary lacks the depth to truly express our needs: for words are shallow.

What does the word "likewise" or "in the same way" (NASB) refer back to?
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby keithareilly on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Hope.

Hope of all creation to be liberated from frustration and the bondage of decay.

20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that[h] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.

In the same way, in our own personal microcosm of creation, we are frustrated in our mortal bodies which will decay; the Spirit intercedes providing hope for freedom and to be brought into the glory of the children of God.

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Keeping Alert on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:19 am

I think something missing in this thread is prayer is also listening to God. If prayer is communication, then we should quieten ourselves and spend time in our prayer to listen to what God is speaking to us... a friend might pop to mind, a verse to strengthen us, a word of wisdom for a situation...

Jesus and Paul prayed expecting to hear from God
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Keeping Alert wrote:I think something missing in this thread is prayer is also listening to God. If prayer is communication, then we should quieten ourselves and spend time in our prayer to listen to what God is speaking to us... a friend might pop to mind, a verse to strengthen us, a word of wisdom for a situation...

Jesus and Paul prayed expecting to hear from God

Actually, in most of my prayers, I am asking for the Lord to speak to me. I don't like the silence sometimes, because I really need that communion with the Lord to feel that I am ok, things are ok.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Sunny on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:43 pm

That's what prayer is to me also -- communion with God. Not just my talking to Him.
Sunny

Return to Bible Study Q & A