It all started with a Bible Study on Fear

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

It all started with a Bible Study on Fear

Postby noble1 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:47 am

Hello all! I just wanted to share a little bit of what's been going on with me as of late. It all started with a Bible Study last month on Fear. I've had a huge struggle in trusting God for what's best in my, now adult daughter's life and of course being fearful of the future in regards to her turning her life back to the Lord. So I decided to do a Bible study on fear for me and for this small women's breakfast group that I'm a part of. Wow, what an eye-opener. That study lead me to all sorts of scripture regarding trusting God, which requires us to put our faith in Him.

I thought I had a handle on this whole faith/trusting God thing when my husband had to have a quintuple by-pass surgery three years ago. I thought, Wow, if I can get through that without losing it, I can get through anything. But in reality, its the every-day life challenges that always get me. I also don't adapt well to change, not unwanted, unplanned changes anyway.

Recently there were some unwanted/unexpected changes on my job. One of my bosses, who I really liked was taken away from me and given to someone else. I was thrown into a "helper" role for our team, because instead of having the standard of two bosses, I only had one to support and I didn't like it. No, not one bit! You see, the gift of helping/acts of service -- serving others as a ministry role, that's never been my strong suit. I don't always go out of my way seek to help others...and for that, I admit I'm selfish. If you are a fan of Oswald Chambers and his book, "My Utmost for His Highest," the devotionals for 2/5 and 2/6 are exactly what I'm dealing with.

2/5 http://utmost.org/are-you-ready-to-be-poured-out-as-an-offering-1/ and
2/6 http://utmost.org/are-you-ready-to-be-poured-out-as-an-offering-2/

I would love to hear your thoughts on these two devo's. They literally hit me over the head. I feel as if I'm in a wrestling match with God, and we all know how that will turn out!

Blessings,
Trish
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
noble1

Re: It all started with a Bible Study on Fear

Postby noble1 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:51 am

Oh, I almost forgot...my life verse is Romans 8:28:

And we know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love him...

So, yeah, after all the stuff going down at work, I have to keep saying this verse over and over! My husband thinks it's totally comical that God is reminding me and showing me another facet in regards to my walk with him and including about my life verse, yet again!
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
noble1

Postby imirish01 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:30 am

One of the things I love most about the Lord is that He is such a gentleman when showing us where we can grow. He leads us to repentence, but encourages us, with joy, to grow in Him.
imirish01

Postby Sonbeam on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi noble1,

I started reading Chambers' devotional some years ago and instead of being encouraged by what I read, I became very preoccupied and dissatisfied with myself and my Christian walk. His devotions might be helpful to some, but they were not to me.

Here is a commentary titled "The Subtleties of Legalism - A Case Study From Oswald Chambers":

http://grace-for-life.blogspot.com/2010 ... -from.html

Let me know if this is helpful.

:blessyou:
Sonbeam

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:45 am

From one of the studies:
Are you willing to give and be poured out until you are used up and exhausted—not seeking to be ministered to, but to minister? Some saints cannot do menial work while maintaining a saintly attitude, because they feel such service is beneath their dignity.

Hi Noble1: I had a few thoughts when I read these two devotionals. Just my opinion or observation......

It was suggested to me in years back that our witness and our existence as a Saint are always marked by our humanity. As such, I don't like the tone in either of these studies. What I learned from another years back has been a hallmark for having a balanced Christian walk. What he told me was that we are to be like sponges. We will get filled up and then, we will draw from our fullness until we are emptied, and then, we seek to be filled up again. We cannot just give, give, and give some more without being filled back up ourselves. This may be me being picky, but the studies seem very dictatorial and hard, and asking us to go to the point of being extra hard on ourselves...to the point of giving out. Anything we intentionally do for others should be an act of giving for the Glory of the Lord and all things (in a perfect world) would be to bring Glory to the One who is worthy. When our witness brings someone to Christ, it should be in our heart for our efforts to be for the Glory of God, first and foremost. Every other thing should center around that theme, and with that in mind....it doesn't require our using ourselves up, for the Lord is able without us...and with us, I don't think it's the Lord's Will for us to take charge and minster without also giving for the opportunity to be ministered to. If our walk truly is centered around the Lord and His Glory, He will do the heavy lifting.....He always does....we are just the willing vessels, and it never is a burden....but this study seems to make it seem a burden.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:01 am

GodsStudent wrote:It was suggested to me in years back that our witness and our existence as a Saint are always marked by our humanity. As such, I don't like the tone in either of these studies.

I agree with your observation, GodsStudent. They seemed very performance focused.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby noble1 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks for all of the great comments! After reading them, I can see what you mean by them sounding to be performance driven. However, as with anything penned by man, I like to take out the meat and throw away the bones.

I believe that God has been dealing with me in many areas of my life, including but not limited to, usage of time, selfishness, and helping others. I was focusing too much time on complaining about the changes at work and not wanting to release control of my job and my role there to God. Thinking out loud here, that maybe I thought that due to how long I've been at this particular job, that somehow I was owed a better position after they took away the one part of my job that I truly liked. That surely they saw how much of an asset I was and that they should be glad I've stayed working there. Clearly, it was an "all about me," attitude. It totally reeks of selfishness, bitterness and not loving others, doesn't it?

I guess that's what I got out of those devos. Being poured out as an offering to God, letting go of my will and letting God control my path and future. Something I must not have been doing much of lately. And the part that nailed it for me, was seeming to be less important than the rest of the gals/guys on my "team", taking on a lesser role (not so much in the spotlight), and working behind the scenes without recognition -- that's the gist of it for me.
noble1

Postby Jericho on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks for sharing your story noble1. I admit fear is one of the big problem areas in my life. I'm always worried about the worst case scenario happening. I must also learn to trust God no matter what comes my way. It's not an easy thing, if feels like walking across a tightrope without a harness! But the alternative is to carry it yourself and I know from first hand experience that takes a toll on you emotionally and physically.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks for all of the great comments! After reading them, I can see what you mean by them sounding to be performance driven. However, as with anything penned by man, I like to take out the meat and throw away the bones.

Most certainly this statement reflects the maturity in your walk with the Lord. I can certainly see how this would encourage you to take a look at yourself and improve where you can.

Less seasoned Christians may read this and AGAIN (as there is so much legalism out there) feel they are required to do this and beat themselves up because they dont. Certainly, what is most important is self reflection and the desire to be more Christlike, and act on the information because of that.

Excellent conversation and yet another way in which we can evaluate ourselves and come to a place where we make positive changes in ourselves and how we interact with the world at large.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Return to Bible Study Q & A