Healing

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Healing

Postby WOODHENOT3 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Since I am legally blind, I always feel like I am a target among many Christians. Many Christians say,"you must be healed or you're going to Hell." Many pastors has said this to me. Anybody ever heard of this? What would be the best scripture to use when I face this again? Amount of Faith should not be based on healing, right? I am healed spiritually and not physically, so why worry about healing when you are already healed spiritually?
In Christ Always,
Woody
WOODHENOT3

Re: Healing

Postby Sunny on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Woodhenot, I have gotten the same thing from some Christians who tell me I don't have enough faith to be healed and it's my fault, with the implication that I am an inferior Christian.

This is my favorite verse when I am confronted with that... not that I quote it to them, but I comfort myself with it:

Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. Romans 14:4

God bless!!! :)
Sunny

Postby WOODHENOT3 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:27 am

Exactly! Good one! God bless you and thanks....:)
In Christ Always,
Woody
WOODHENOT3

Postby Tevye on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:25 am

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen
but on what is unseen, since what is seen is
temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

With the eyes...of our heart.

"by faith even Sarah, who was past childbearing age, was enabled to bear children because she considered him faithful who had made the promise. And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore. All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised;"

"they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance"
(by faith, with the eyes of their heart)

"admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them."

Faith is our vision
what is seen is temporal.
While it would be wonderful
to see with our eyes better
one day Christ will come
and all who have faith
in Him...
will see Him.

for...
"Behold,
he is coming with the clouds
and every eye will see him"

...on that day.
Tevye

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Woodhenot3: I actually started visiting a holiness church and they were really big into this healing stuff. When they prayed and put oil on me and I was not healed of my affliction, the pastor started making remarks during his Sunday sermons that there was "someone" in the congregation who had already been healed, but didn't have the faith to accept the healing. We all knew he was talking about me. Shortly after those remarks, we stopped going to that church.

My afflictions are, in some ways, beneficial for me. As they are physical, I am; therefore, limited in what I can do on any given day. As a result of the need for me to be more stationary, I take in a lot of sermons and other Christian related information that I otherwise would not have the time to take in, as I would be on the go all the time. I am able to pass along what I've heard to those around me, who in conversation, may bring up something I heard a good sermon on. I can't tell you how many people have been blessed by my not being able to get out and about like many others do.....

The flesh is fallen......I am not my flesh.....I am inside it. The flesh will return to the fallen world when I depart from it.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:16 am

GodsStudent wrote:Hi Woodhenot3: I actually started visiting a holiness church and they were really big into this healing stuff. When they prayed and put oil on me and I was not healed of my affliction, the pastor started making remarks during his Sunday sermons that there was "someone" in the congregation who had already been healed, but didn't have the faith to accept the healing. We all knew he was talking about me. Shortly after those remarks, we stopped going to that church.

My afflictions are, in some ways, beneficial for me. As they are physical, I am; therefore, limited in what I can do on any given day. As a result of the need for me to be more stationary, I take in a lot of sermons and other Christian related information that I otherwise would not have the time to take in, as I would be on the go all the time. I am able to pass along what I've heard to those around me, who in conversation, may bring up something I heard a good sermon on. I can't tell you how many people have been blessed by my not being able to get out and about like many others do.....

The flesh is fallen......I am not my flesh.....I am inside it. The flesh will return to the fallen world when I depart from it.
AMEN! God does not look at us in a physical sense and judge us based on our appearance, or physical in abilities. He goes much deeper. He looks are our Heart, and so should the Body of Christ.
James 2
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
The Sin of Partiality

2 My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. 2 For if a man comes into your [a]assembly with a gold ring and dressed in [b]fine clothes, and there also comes in a poor man in dirty clothes, 3 and you [c]pay special attention to the one who is wearing the fine clothes, and say, “You sit here in a good place,” and you say to the poor man, “You stand over there, or sit down by my footstool,” 4 have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil [d]motives? 5 Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor [e]of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you and [f]personally drag you into [g]court? 7 Do they not blaspheme the fair name [h]by which you have been called?
drdos

Postby Sunny on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 am

Hi Woodhenot3: I actually started visiting a holiness church and they were really big into this healing stuff. When they prayed and put oil on me and I was not healed of my affliction, the pastor started making remarks during his Sunday sermons that there was "someone" in the congregation who had already been healed, but didn't have the faith to accept the healing.

I was told the same thing at a church I attended one time. My own mother told me the same thing for years.

It is really hard when you love Jesus and have everyone around you accuse you of not wanting to be healed because somehow, some way, you don't really want to be healed. Or because there is hidden sin in your heart.

It also drove me closer to Jesus and into His Word.

I have often thought that if I did not have my problems to cope with, I would have become arrogant, proud, and without compassion to others who suffer. God has used these conditions to humble my heart and to develop patience, compassion, and trust in Him in spite of "the things that are seen," like Tevre said.
Sunny

Postby drdos on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:03 am

Matthew 5.1-10

1Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2and he began to teach them, saying:

3“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
Luke 6. 20-26
20Looking at his disciples, he said:

“Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.
21Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.
22Blessed are you when men hate you,
when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil,
because of the Son of Man.”
23“Rejoice in that day and leap for joy,
because great is your reward in heaven.
For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.
24“But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
25Woe to you who are well fed now,
for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
for you will mourn and weep.
26Woe to you when all men speak well of you,
for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets.”
drdos

Postby WOODHENOT3 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:08 am

:a3:
Thanks for the scriptures......my doctors and many people(who are not Christians) are amazed that I am not totally blind despite the rare disease which I was suppose to be totally blind 20 years ago and I tell most pastors, "you haven't seen the miracle that God has prolonged my eyesight while you're so busy judging and condemning me for being legally blind."...
You know, if you have the greatest Faith, it doesn't mean God will heal you, because everything is God's Will. Jesus had to die on the cross at age 33, because it was God's Will. Not because of lack of Faith....
Blessings, Woody
In Christ Always,
Woody
WOODHENOT3

Postby Sunny on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 am

DrDos, that is one of the most comforting passages in the Bible. Thank you for putting it here in this context.

Woody, I have just read a (VERY) long, in-depth, very sound article on why Christians often are not healed, about God's timing, and His eternal purposes in our suffering.

I have often thought that Paul's admonition to Timothy to "drink a little wine for your stomach's sake and for your frequent infirmities" is irrefutable proof that some of God's faithful saints are not physically healed.

Here's a short quote from near the end of the article:

In the early New Testament church which was full of faith and miracles, even some of Christ's faithful disciples were infirm and sick...Paul being the prime example - 2Cor.10:10, 12; 12:5-10; Gal.4:13, 14; Col.1:24. See Phil.2:25-30 where Epaphroditus was sick, not because of any lack of faith or because of sin, but "because for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death." vs.30. Paul had to leave Trophimus sick (2Tim.4:20) and Timothy had often infirmities - 1Tim.5:23. Dorcas also was full of good works yet took sick and died - Ac.9:36, 37. Can we honestly say things are any different today?

http://www.sigler.org/mckay/compassed.htm

It's old-timey writing, but it is worth taking the time to read.
Sunny

Postby drdos on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:28 am

No problemo Blessings!
drdos

Postby WOODHENOT3 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:41 pm

.I am not my flesh.....I am inside it.
..exactly! :grin:

You guys came up with some good stuff!! Thanks, Woody
In Christ Always,
Woody
WOODHENOT3

Postby Mark F on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:02 pm

WOODHENOT3 wrote:Since I am legally blind, I always feel like I am a target among many Christians. Many Christians say,"you must be healed or you're going to Hell." Many pastors has said this to me. Anybody ever heard of this? What would be the best scripture to use when I face this again? Amount of Faith should not be based on healing, right? I am healed spiritually and not physically, so why worry about healing when you are already healed spiritually?

Where in Scripture does it say that every Christian is to be healed? (physically) The important thing is that everyone in Christ is a new creation!!

Remember Paul asked three times that his infirmity be removed and the Lord told him;

2 Corinthians 12:9
"And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

"Therefore" he says "most gladly" he will keep his infirmites that the power of Christ be upon him.

According to your critics Paul must not have had much faith huh? I think you do well to be like Paul. My day is coming I am sure, the Lord has so blessed me with 50 years of good health, I hope that I can do like Paul on that day.
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Find a seven year covenant Jesus makes with anybody plainly stated in Scripture.
Mark F

Postby AndCanItBe on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:59 pm

My dear MIL, a great woman of faith, passed away from cancer a few years ago. It annoys me greatly when I hear it suggested that people like her did not have enough faith. This is not in scripture verbatim, but I think the idea is scriptural, and I have told my children this many times. "God keeps His promises. We will all be healed of our sicknesses and infirmities. It's up to God whether it's this side of heaven or the next."
AndCanItBe

Postby Sunny on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:46 pm

"God keeps His promises. We will all be healed of our sicknesses and infirmities. It's up to God whether it's this side of heaven or the next."

That's what I believe, too.

A lot of preachers preach on the heroes of faith in Hebrews 11 who experienced miracles and great deliverances. Very rarely does anyone preach on the heroes of faith in that same chapter who were persecuted and tortured and killed.

It's not the same situation, but the principle that they didn't receive the promise in this life because God had something better planned is still valid, I think.
Sunny

Postby AndCanItBe on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 am

I think so too, Sunny. Good point.
AndCanItBe

Postby WOODHENOT3 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:25 pm

The biggest miracle out of any healing is being saved by God's Grace through Faith.
So many Christians are so busy talking about other type of healing and forgetting what's the biggest healing out of them all.....
Eph 2
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

In Christ always, Woody
In Christ Always,
Woody
WOODHENOT3

Postby Sunny on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:29 pm

WOODHENOT3 wrote:The biggest miracle out of any healing is being saved by God's Grace through Faith.
So many Christians are so busy talking about other type of healing and forgetting what's the biggest healing out of them all.....

In Christ always, Woody

Woody, you hit the nail on the head! That's what being a believer is all about!
Sunny

Postby SueAnn on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:08 pm

Holy Smokes!!
I read all these posts and I am stunned. Where the heck do you people live that this belief (no healing= not enough faith) actually exists in 2013? Good grief. I never heard anyone say anything like this in 59 years of living.

I am not always a sweet easy going Christian, as most of you here are. Trust me when I tell you that if I ever hear someone say this to me or anyone I know...well, let's just say that sharing my response to them would definately get me banned from this website FOR LIFE. LOL

And there would a physical reaction to go along with my words, too. And it won't translate into, "Have a nice day" either.

Sheesh.

Woody (and all you other victims of this pseudo-righteousness, you hang in there and do what GS did...find another church. The Holy Spirit is AWOL from any group that spews this poison.

Climbing off my soapbox and going to go check my blood pressure.
:wink:
ﺗﻜﻮﻳﻦ 12
وَقَالَ الرَّبُّ لأَبْرَامَ: «اتْرُكْ أَرْضَكَ وَعَشِيرَتَكَ وَبَيْتَ أَبِيكَ وَاذْهَبْ إِلَى الأَرْضِ الَّتِي أُرِيكَ،
فَأَجْعَلَ مِنْكَ أُمَّةً كَبِيرَةً وَأُبَارِكَكَ وَأُعَظِّمَ اسْمَكَ، وَتَكُونَ بَرَكَةً (لِكَثِيرِينَ).
َأُبَارِكُ مُبَارِكِيكَ وَأَلْعَنُ لاعِنِيكَ، وَتَتَبَارَكُ فِيكَ جَمِيعُ أُمَمِ الأَرْضِ »
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby CrystalClear on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi, all:

I'm a "newbie oldie"...was here a few years ago, disappeared, and have returned after some major life changes finally leveled out, but I must agree with SueAnn. Healing and faith go hand-in-hand, but healing certainly isn't a necessary outcome of faith. I've lost a child, and more recently the wheels fell off my terrible and unequally-yoked marriage, quite by surprise to me because I worked like a dog to make the man happy, but if anyone told me those things happened because I didn't have enough faith or wasn't Christian-woman enough to keep the twitball, they'd best have a twenty-yard head start on me. :mrgreen:

Don't let that sort of talk get you down. In recent days, I've had it deeply impressed on me that He is always working on my maturity in Him, and if He wants something for me, He will not only lead me to ask and ask, He will also give me the words and the methods. I'm not alone in trying to figure out what to ask for, ever.

Just use those put-downs as opportunities to pray for those who are living like that, forever trampling themselves for their own "lack of faith" to heal their hidden-due-to-fear-of-exposure pains...and therefore have no room for mercy on your soul, either. The most hateful always have the most to hide. It's a good thing to remember.

CC
CrystalClear

Postby keithareilly on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:21 am

The woman with the flow of blood had faith.
Yet, it was still someone, like Christ, who had the power to heal her that she needed to touch.

Next time someone says it's your faith that is the problem,
tell them "NO, I just need to find someone who has the power to heal me."

A lack of faith results in not asking. If one doesn't believe something can be done, one doesn't ask for it to be done.
The woman with the flow found someone who had the power to heal her. She did not even need to ask she simply acted on her knowledge that He had the power to heal her. Jesus healed her. He felt power flow from him. She did not heal herself. The power flowing from Christ healed her. The part her faith played was to cause her to act. Her faith did not affect her ability to be healed, only her ability to act. Same with Abraham. Abraham believed; he acted. Nothing more.

Faith is not something magical. It is nothing more than a belief.
If I believe that the train coming at me will not hurt me, I will not move.
If I believe the train will kill me on impact, I move.
Faith results in action, nothing more.

What nonsense.

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Sunny on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Glad to see this old thread resurface.

One thing I've observed in the name-it-claim-it crowd is that they have faith in faith... faith in the miracles that their own faith can accomplish.

Not faith in God. Because faith in God means trusting His will for us. It mean presenting our requests to God in full faith that He hears and will answer anything that is His will for us. And, sometimes, more importantly, trust that He will not answer any prayer that would be detrimental to His ultimate plans and purpose for us.

And sometimes a quick healing and restoration to health would sidestep the process of suffering and purification that He is using to work out His eternal purposes in us.

Faith in God means knowing that God sees the big picture and we, like spoiled, selfish children, often do not.
Sunny

Return to Bible Study Q & A