"Oh my gosh!"

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

"Oh my gosh!"

Postby WOODHENOT3 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Would you consider "Oh my gosh!" the Lord's name in vain? why or why not?

Blessings, Woody
In Christ Always,
Woody
WOODHENOT3

Re: "Oh my gosh!"

Postby 4givenmuch on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:21 pm

No, I personally wouldn't. It sounds as though you are intentionally NOT trying to use His name in vain. JMO
Seek Humility!
4givenmuch
Supporting Member

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Oh, this one touches my nerve. Especially since scripture tells us that he who takes the Lord's name in vain will not go unpunished. My point to these teenagers around me is why risk it? I see this phrase as a variance of the other, being a lighter shade of grey, but still being grey. For this reason, I tell these teenagers they are not allowed to say that or any variation of that......I am teaching them to say "Oh, WOW!" It says the same thing with completely unoffensive language by anyone's standards.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Jericho on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:31 pm

"gosh" doesn't bother me tho I am sensitive to OMG and don't say it personally (although technically the word "God" is not His name.)
Last edited by Jericho on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby WOODHENOT3 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:08 pm

When I got saved 17 years ago, I was totally deaf and having to lipread. I got to know a lot of Christians who uses the phrase, "oh my gosh!" and it bothered me because in lipreading it looks more like OMG. I was trying to stop from using the Lord's name in vain, so I asked many friends to stop using the phrase so I can work on stopping from using the Lord's name in vain. Since I've gotten my hearing 11 years ago, I still don't like the phrase because I feel it's an insult or offensive to God.
Woody
In Christ Always,
Woody
WOODHENOT3

Postby daffodyllady on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Mat 12:36,37 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby WOODHENOT3 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:12 pm

daffodyllady wrote:
Mat 12:36,37 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

We'd have to ask God to forgive us for whatever we say against him as we are suppose to live a pure and holy life.
Woody
In Christ Always,
Woody
WOODHENOT3

Postby AndCanItBe on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:30 am

I don't think it's technically taking His name in vain, but I don't allow my kids to say it, for the very reason that it is easily mistaken for the real deal, and even if it isn't mistaken, it still brings the other to mind. "Wow" is sufficient. I don't even know whether I think that is okay sometimes. Lately I've been thinking that that this is one of those issues where Jesus showed us the standard was even more impossible to keep than God had told the Israelites. If you can't exclaim "Oh my God" in a situation and mean it, then should you be exclaiming anything at all? Most exclamations amount to complaining, participating in gossip, or an angry reaction to something, it seems to me. Sometimes they just aren't edifying, as our speech should be. Being truly frightened is really the only reason I can think of for such exclamations, and if you're truly frightened, I don't think calling on God is in vain.
AndCanItBe

Postby AndCanItBe on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:35 am

God'sStudent, I accidentally skipped your post and hadn't read it when I made mine. :lol:
AndCanItBe

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:08 am

:lol: I like your perspective, so I'm glad you missed my post.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby WOODHENOT3 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 am

AndCanItBe wrote:I don't think it's technically taking His name in vain, but I don't allow my kids to say it, for the very reason that it is easily mistaken for the real deal, and even if it isn't mistaken, it still brings the other to mind. "Wow" is sufficient. I don't even know whether I think that is okay sometimes. Lately I've been thinking that that this is one of those issues where Jesus showed us the standard was even more impossible to keep than God had told the Israelites. If you can't exclaim "Oh my God" in a situation and mean it, then should you be exclaiming anything at all? Most exclamations amount to complaining, participating in gossip, or an angry reaction to something, it seems to me. Sometimes they just aren't edifying, as our speech should be. Being truly frightened is really the only reason I can think of for such exclamations, and if you're truly frightened, I don't think calling on God is in vain.

:a3:
In Christ Always,
Woody
WOODHENOT3

Return to Bible Study Q & A