Baptism

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Re: Baptism

Postby water on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 pm

AndCanItBe wrote:
water wrote:Oh yah...one more thing.

Everyone has seen the news about the flooding of the Missouri River, around Omaha...where both nuclear and waste treatment plants are in danger of being flooded.

I just thought I would mention you probably don't want to be baptized downstream of Omaha, else the nuclear poo baptism might not quite qualify as true baptism, and or be the last thing you did in this life.

:boxer:

:rolllaughing:

Hehe...I am serious! The water was just 1 foot from going over the barriers at the nuke plant today and it has been pouring heavy rain all night!
Now is the time to be the Sons of Issachar - 1 Chronicles 12:32

My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20
water

Postby extravagantchristian on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 pm

AndCanItBe wrote:There are many who espouse works salvation that reject Paul's words about grace

I don't reject Paul's words about Grace. If it weren't for the grace of God, none of us could be saved. He sent His Son to take our punishment on the cross. It's pretty simple. You don't have to reject what Paul said about grace in order to accept what James said,

James 2
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
extravagantchristian

Postby AndCanItBe on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:16 pm

water wrote:
Hehe...I am serious! The water was just 1 foot from going over the barriers at the nuke plant today and it has been pouring heavy rain all night!

:praying:
AndCanItBe

Postby burien1 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:22 pm

water wrote:Oh yah...one more thing.

Everyone has seen the news about the flooding of the Missouri River, around Omaha...where both nuclear and waste treatment plants are in danger of being flooded.

I just thought I would mention you probably don't want to be baptized downstream of Omaha, else the nuclear poo baptism might not quite qualify as true baptism, and or be the last thing you did in this life.

:boxer:
:rolllaughing:

And :praying:

Extravagantchristian said;
Why does it have to be a one size fits all under every single circumstance, 100% of the time, with no mercy. People try to make it so black and white. But the truth is that God is the judge. Meaning He takes into account ALL of the circumstances in each life and makes a righteous decision based on HIS OWN DESIRE.

Because it is in black and white in the Bible. One way and only one way. The greatest act of mercy of all time. HIS desire was that all be saved, so he provided his Son as a sacrifice. The gift of grace. Beautiful, wonderful, amazing grace. That none of us deserve. But we accept by our faith. The person on his death bed accepts that grace the same way we all do. He believes. He just doesn't live long enough to produce any fruit of good works, just as a dead apple tree, doesn't produce apples.
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby AndCanItBe on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:23 pm

You don't have to reject what Paul said about grace in order to accept what James said,

We agree on this, but we aren't going to agree on how the two mesh, I think. :a2:
AndCanItBe

Postby BeTheMoon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:54 am

extravagantchristian wrote:I know, the thief on the cross. He didn't have time to change his actions when he came to faith in Jesus. Well we don't know that for sure one way or the other, but, God is the judge. He can bend the rules for whomever He chooses.

What does this say about the character of our God if He does, in fact, "bend the rules?"
BeTheMoon
SITE ADMIN

Postby daffodyllady on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:55 am

A verse I would like to throw in here:
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be ******.

As I mentioned in another post, notice the two categories:
1. belief with baptism.
2. unbelief.

Therefore, if one tells people they do not need to be baptized -faith is all they need-,
then he is trying to create a third category that Jesus did not allow for.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:09 am

Therefore, if one tells people they do not need to be baptized -faith is all they need-,

.....that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. Rom 10:9-10
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby daffodyllady on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:20 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:

.....that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. Rom 10:9-10

Yep. if you believe, you will do as Jesus Himself did "to fulfill all righteousness."
If you don't want to be baptized, it is a clear indication you have not entered the first category Jesus gave.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:40 am

daffodyllady wrote:Yep. if you believe, you will do as Jesus Himself did "to fulfill all righteousness."
If you don't want to be baptized, it is a clear indication you have not entered the first category Jesus gave.

If you are referring to Mark 16:16

Mark 16:16 "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned."

....Jesus is referencing those who have believe in the gospel (verse 15) not those who have believed in baptism.

Jesus fulfilled righteousness in submitting to baptism as well as being circumcised as fulfilling the requirements of the High Priest who was to make atonement for the sins of mankind. We don't become righteous by any other means except by the sacrifice of the cross; i.e. the shedding of blood.

I'm not even sure the apostles were baptized in water. But they were baptized in the Holy Spirit.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby extravagantchristian on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:52 am

BeTheMoon wrote:
extravagantchristian wrote:I know, the thief on the cross. He didn't have time to change his actions when he came to faith in Jesus. Well we don't know that for sure one way or the other, but, God is the judge. He can bend the rules for whomever He chooses.

What does this say about the character of our God if He does, in fact, "bend the rules?"

Welp, all I know is that God can do whatever He wants to do.

Romans 9:15
For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.”

We can't just say, that since the thief on the cross didn't have time to do good works, therefore we don't have to do good works either. God expects more from those of us who are still out living life and making choices everyday.
extravagantchristian

Postby mark s on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:02 am

1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

4Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

5He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

6Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

7Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

8And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

9So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby mark s on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:10 am

You who would live your life under Law, I challenge you to study Galatians, in depth. Take about six months to look at every verse, every word.

Paul accused Peter for simply eating at a different table. He was trying to be acceptable by his works. When they tried to get Paul to have Titus circumcised, Paul would not stand for it. They were trying to make out like Titus needed to conform to their works to be acceptable.

We are accepted in the Beloved.
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:20 pm

I've enjoyed the contributions on the subject here at this sermon page. I am not real familiar with most of the pastors who've contributed here, but have enjoyed their input and gleaned additional information from listening.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?c ... rd=baptism
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby joey on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:56 am

Hi I have a very important question. I go to a church called the Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ. Now they say that I need to be fully baptized full immersion under water to be saved. They say that my Catholic baptism as a child does not count whatsoever.
I believed I am saved I believe in the Blood Of Christ.
Now this has me very confused. I believe in my Saviour and by his Grace I am saved is this true do I need to be baptized.
They do not practise communion or confession there either.
They do not believe in Christmas or Easter. They believe in the Blood and also the Baptism.
I find it a good church but I am very confused now.
Joey
:grin: :grin: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :a3: :a3: :a3: :a3: :a3: :a3: :a3: :a3: :alrighty: :alrighty: :alrighty: :alrighty: :alrighty: :alrighty: :alrighty: :alrighty: :cry: :cry: :cry:
i BELIEVE THE END TIME IS NEAR.
joey

Postby LastDaysBroadcast on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:28 pm

It can be confusing but when in doubt, follow the simplicity that is in Christ:
"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved"
Mark 16:16
:itsgood:
In the Cause of Christ,
Last Days Broadcast

Matthew 16:1-3
LastDaysBroadcast

Postby joey on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi I have contacted a Baptist minister and he said he would be happy to bring me through the process of baptism.
I live in Torono Canada.
I believe we are living in he last days.
Has anyone heard of Peter Bertone in the Vatican I know this is off topic apparently he could be the next Pope Petrus Romanus. Praise Jesus. :a3: :a3: :a3: :a3: :a3:
Joey :lol: :a3: :a3: :alrighty: :alrighty: :alrighty: :alrighty: :lol: :lol:
i BELIEVE THE END TIME IS NEAR.
joey

Postby WOODHENOT3 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:11 pm

I Baptized my children in front of 500 people and my children and I shared our testimonies of how we gave our lives to Christ, etc....people were amazed because we were the only ones sharing without reading from a flash card.
My advice would be, don't be baptized if you don't understand what it is. Any true Christians can baptize you. Most churches would strip you with guilt to be baptize, I knew a lot of parents who forced their children to be baptized. Everyone has to make their decision on their own when it comes to salvation, being forced to do it doesn't save you.
In Christ Always,
Woody
WOODHENOT3

Postby Mrs. B on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:47 am

Baptism.....

Baptism...There are different Baptisms....
Baptism of the Dead
Baptism in Jesus Name
Baptim of John
Baptism of Water
Baptism of suffering
Baptism of Repentence
Baptism in Jesus Name

Baptism is a buriel....a dying to self and being Born Again of the Spirit in Jesus...we die to ourself and we are risen to follow Jesus.....buried in the water grave of Baptism..
then there is a baptism of suffering....or repentence...\
Baptism is a act of a good concience toward God....we die to our selves and rise to follow Jesus..
There is a Baptism of suffering...
Baptism for the Remmission of sin...

Jesus command His followers to Baptism in His Name....In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
so there are different kinds of baptisms.

I was first batised in the church of Christ...for salvation at the age of 9
I was baptised again in the Baptist church at 15 to join the Baptist Church
I was baptised again at the Age of 18 and it was for repentence and salvation
I was baptised again at the age of 23 after I was filled with the Holy Spirit In Jesus Name....

So you see why I say there are many kinds of Baptism....
I believe I was saved at 9......but growing up I was bapatised at certain times of my life in obedience to my new
knowledge and growing in the Lord.....
To be Bapatised again at different stages of our life.....
I was Baptised in the Holy Spirit.....also
So there can be many Baptisms.....in our life as we grow and understand why we are baptised....
I wish now when we went to Jerusalem I would have been Bapatised Again....not for salvation but just to be Baptised in the Jordon River.......But Jesus saved me when I was 9 years old......Baptism is for me was signs of my new Understanding of Sciptures....and I found Great Joy in my understanding....and Love Jesus More and More and More
That He Saved me and I could understand why we are Baptised....It is an Act of a good concience toward God....

Mrs. B
Mrs. B

Postby Mrs. B on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 am

Baptism.....

Baptism...There are different Baptisms....
Baptism of the Dead
Baptism in Jesus Name
Baptim of John
Baptism of Water
Baptism of suffering
Baptism of Repentence
Baptism in Jesus Name

Baptism is a buriel....a dying to self and being Born Again of the Spirit in Jesus...we die to ourself and we are risen to follow Jesus.....buried in the water grave of Baptism..
then there is a baptism of suffering....or repentence...\
Baptism is a act of a good concience toward God....we die to our selves and rise to follow Jesus..
There is a Baptism of suffering...
Baptism for the Remmission of sin...

Jesus command His followers to Baptism in His Name....In the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
so there are different kinds of baptisms.

I was first batised in the church of Christ...for salvation at the age of 9
I was baptised again in the Baptist church at 15 to join the Baptist Church
I was baptised again at the Age of 18 and it was for repentence and salvation
I was baptised again at the age of 23 after I was filled with the Holy Spirit In Jesus Name....

So you see why I say there are many kinds of Baptism....
I believe I was saved at 9......but growing up I was bapatised at certain times of my life in obedience to my new
knowledge and growing in the Lord.....
To be Bapatised again at different stages of our life.....
I was Baptised in the Holy Spirit.....also
So there can be many Baptisms.....in our life as we grow and understand why we are baptised....
I wish now when we went to Jerusalem I would have been Bapatised Again....not for salvation but just to be Baptised in the Jordon River.......But Jesus saved me when I was 9 years old......Baptism is for me was signs of my new Understanding of Sciptures....and I found Great Joy in my understanding....and Love Jesus More and More and More
That He Saved me and I could understand why we are Baptised....It is an Act of a good concience toward God....

Mrs. B
Mrs. B

Previous

Return to Bible Study Q & A